#6 2020 Prospect: DL Hall - LHP

Tony-OH

31 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Well I had the right players in the wrong order. It's unfortunate Hall hasn't improved more, I guess

They are very close, but I just chose to take an athletic, great body type guy in Henderson over Hall, mainly because Hall is starting carry a reliever risk a bit due to his lack of control. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They are very close, but I just chose to take an athletic, great body type guy in Henderson over Hall, mainly because Hall is starting carry a reliever risk a bit due to his lack of control. 

That’s a serious issue.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a serious issue.   

Here's the thing, I'm going off what I heard completely and not what I saw, which is always a little risky for me. I truly respect the guys I talk to because I know they shoot straight, but I would have liked to have seen some video myself. 

I'm not going to lie though, even though the stuff still gets raved about, it's not thrilling that he will be 22-years old next year and was compared to Tanner Scott in his early years when he came to control. Now Hall has much better secondaries that Scott didn't have until late in minor league career when he developed his wipe out slider.

It's really tough to say and also tough to fully evaluate off a camp environment. I do know Hall carry's very good spin rate numbers on his fastball and curveball so the stuff is there. We've seen Scott finally get it a bit this year and we also know that Hall is extremely hard to hit when he's close to the zone, so that still bodes well for him.

I'm not ready to give up on him as a starter, but just think he's starting to carry a reliever risk which drops him a bit, but he also dropped a bit because of improvements by Mountcastle and Henderson and the drafting of Kjerstad.

He's got the kind of talent though that if he puts it together he could be an impact pitcher at the major league level, and for a #6 prospect that tells me the system is probably deeper than it's been since the early 70s.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I will say this..if the Orioles are worried he is becomes a reliever, they should look to trade him this offseason.  

Just to be clear, I never said the Orioles think anything about Hall. It is my opinion that there is some reliever risk currently. I have not concluded he is going to be a reliever yet either, hence why he's still #6.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I will say this..if the Orioles are worried he is becomes a reliever, they should look to trade him this offseason.  

I am sure teams like the Rays would scoop Hall up in a second.  The upside is too tantalizing to give up on any time soon.  Tyler Glasgow says hello.  

Most prospects do not improve in a straight line.  I wouldn't think about dealing Hall for at least 2 years.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I am sure teams like the Rays would scoop Hall up in a second.  The upside is too tantalizing to give up on any time soon.  Tyler Glasgow says hello.  

Most prospects do not improve in a straight line.  I wouldn't think about dealing Hall for at least 2 years.  

At 20 years old in High-A:

Glasnow: 1.74 ERA, 11.4 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, 5.4 H/9, 0.2 HR/9
Hall:          3.46 ERA, 12.9 K/9, 6.0 BB/9, 5.9 H/9, 0.3 HR/9

Not the worse comp when it comes to ages and statistics though Glasnow gets the edge in everything but K/9 rate and Hall got a lot of Ks with young hitters swinging at curveballs in the dirt and high fastballs. Glasnow did make a big jump the next year at 21 and unfortunately all we have is camp info on Hall but the info did not seem to indicate better command.

Still, it could give us a little bit of of a timeline for Hall and the type of guy he could become.

Nice work, Tony!  Too much upside with Hall to give up on him by trading him away anytime soon.

The Pirates got fleeced dealing away Glasnow.  The Os would have been fleeced if we had given up on Tanner Scott two years ago.  SG sees things in such black and white terms.  I can think of a few adjectives he reserves for other people that I would say apply to a suggestion that the Os look to deal Hall.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Nice work, Tony!  Too much upside with Hall to give up on him by trading him away anytime soon.

The Pirates got fleeced dealing away Glasnow.  The Os would have been fleeced if we had given up on Tanner Scott two years ago.  SG sees things in such black and white terms.  I can think of a few adjectives he reserves for other people that I would say apply to a suggestion that the Os look to deal Hall.

I think all SG is saying is IF the Orioles conclude that he will only be a reliever, they should move him before he loses value. 

I don't think that decision will be made for several more years because his stuff is so good. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think all SG is saying is IF the Orioles conclude that he will only be a reliever, they should move him before he loses value. 

I don't think that decision will be made for several more years because his stuff is so good. 

I agree. 

SG did say Hall should be moved "this offseason".

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

I agree. 

SG did say Hall should be moved "this offseason".

SG said, "if the Orioles are worried he is becomes a reliever, they should look to trade him this offseason."

I think you are taking his comment out of context and suggesting he wants to move him. I don't think anyone should want to move Hall at this point, especially after a camp that it's hard to make any final judgements off of.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Just to be clear, I never said the Orioles think anything about Hall. It is my opinion that there is some reliever risk currently. I have not concluded he is going to be a reliever yet either, hence why he's still #6.

Yea I got ya.  My point is that he has a high prospect status right now.

If Elias and his people look at him and start to have the same worries about him becoming a reliever, it’s likely that those issues would start to really manifest in AA, where the better prospects normally are.

If he goes to AA and struggles, it could really hurt his value.  That doesn’t mean he’s done or destined to be a reliever or anything like that.  Just that the luster is off of him and he needs a lot of improvement to get back to where he was as a highly rated guy.

Again, this is only my thought if the Os are worried about him having a reliever profile but if they do, they shouldn’t hesitate to include him in a deal for a young, cost controlled asset.  When you have an asset that is worth a lot, you want to maximize that asset.  Maximizing an asset isn’t always them playing for you.  It’s them getting you something you need.

Put it another way..we can like Hall all we want but at the end of the day, it’s more likely than not that he fails as a prospect.  The history of the sport tells you that.  

Remember, Elias didn’t draft Hall.