Felix Hernandez signs with O’s

weams

So I guess King Felix is falling short of a Hall of Fame career unless he has a miraculous recovery.    He won a Cy Young and finished second twice, got votes three other times, led the league in ERA twice, and was a six time all-star.    169 wins, 50.1 WAR, .117 ERA+.     Great career but not quite the longevity most HoFers display.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So I guess King Felix is falling short of a Hall of Fame career unless he has a miraculous recovery.    He won a Cy Young and finished second twice, got votes three other times, led the league in ERA twice, and was a six time all-star.    169 wins, 50.1 WAR, .117 ERA+.     Great career but not quite the longevity most HoFers display.  

Hernandez turned into a slightly above average pitcher after the 2014 season and morphed into a terrible pitcher by the end of his time with the Mariners. At the top of his game he was as dominant as any starting pitcher in the last 15 years. 

Unless Hernandez has made some adjustments, I don't see him surviving long in the AL East. His ERA away from the ballpark formerly known as Safeco Field was 6.97 in 2018 and 9.17 in 2019. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hernandez turned into a slightly above average pitcher after the 2014 season and morphed into a terrible pitcher by the end of his time with the Mariners. At the top of his game he was as dominant as any starting pitcher in the last 15 years. 

Unless Hernandez has made some adjustments, I don't see him surviving long in the AL East. His ERA away from the ballpark formerly known as Safeco Field was 6.97 in 2018 and 9.17 in 2019. 

Tiny correction, after 2015, not 2014.

He finished 7th in the Cy Young voting in 2015. He was not slightly above average.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Who has the better season...Cobb or Hernandez? That’ll be a fun quirk to follow 

Are we taking into consideration their contract? I’d probably rather have Felix at $1m as long as he’s under a 6 ERA for this year over Cobb at $15m even at a 3ERA.

I like the signing.    If he can give the O's 5 good starts in 6 outings to begin the season he is worth 1M IMO.  He wears down pretty fast as the season moves on and he has had injury problems in 2 of the last 3 years he pitched.   

So I will not expect too much for the 1M dollars.   If he has  a good April that would be good enough.  Let the young pitchers at AAA get their feet on the ground before they are called up.  Then he can go on the DL, sit on the bench and mentor the young starters.

• Upvote 1

Smoltz didn't notch his first Save until he was 34.   No injury thing though to get a great starter not to be insulted by the notion.   LaRussa didn't fully form Eck until his Age-33 season.

He is sort of a guy where a whole year off from the job of pitching it probably does him more good than anybody else.   You know he knows how to pitch, it is just the question is anything left?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I like the signing.    If he can give the O's 5 good starts in 6 outings to begin the season he is worth 1M IMO.  He wears down pretty fast as the season moves on and he has had injury problems in 2 of the last 3 years he pitched.   

So I will not expect too much for the 1M dollars.   If he has  a good April that would be good enough.  Let the young pitchers at AAA get their feet on the ground before they are called up.  Then he can go on the DL, sit on the bench and mentor the young starters.

Honest question, does he have a positive reputation on this front?

It's been mentioned multiple times, but would he be able to impart anything to our young guys other than, "the key to MLB pitching success is to be a generational talent who was ready to dominate the majors at age 19?"

Maybe there's something to seeing how he works, but is he particularly valuable in this respect as compared to other past-their-prime SP?