DL Hall 2021

Just Regular

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So much for the discussion of whether he should be in AAA.    With Smith’s promotion and Hall’s injury, Bowie’s rotation suddenly seems a lot weaker.   Of course, they did win a 1-0 shutout yesterday behind Ofelky Peralta and others.   

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road for Hall.   

The discussion is has he earned the AAA promo and that is a yes.

Obviously the injury will set him back and they will put him in Bowie immediately after he’s healthy.  He still should be in Norfolk by August though and end the year pitching there.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The discussion is has he earned the AAA promo and that is a yes.

Obviously the injury will set him back and they will put him in Bowie immediately after he’s healthy.  He still should be in Norfolk by August though and end the year pitching there.

I’d say it depends on how he bounces back from the injury.   But if he pitches well, I agree.   

The kid finally went 6 innings the other day and now he's out with soreness, sounds like they may have to start transitioning him to relief. Not time to give up on starting yet but seems to be headed that way. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, vab said:

The kid finally went 6 innings the other day and now he's out with soreness, sounds like they may have to start transitioning him to relief. Not time to give up on starting yet but seems to be headed that way. 

Incredibly premature take.

The main reason he hasn't gone six is the very stringent pitch counts they have the guys pitching to. 

He's isn't hitting 100 pitches in the four inning.

He needs to be given a multitude of chances to stay in the starting rotation. 

1 hour ago, vab said:

There is zero evidence that they wan to move him to the pen.

I don't get this take at all.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

So much for the discussion of whether he should be in AAA.    With Smith’s promotion and Hall’s injury, Bowie’s rotation suddenly seems a lot weaker.   Of course, they did win a 1-0 shutout yesterday behind Ofelky Peralta and others.   

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road for Hall.   

All the more reason to draft Kumar Rocker!  ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vab said:

The fact that Hall went 6 innings is a good sign he can start I think. Tendinitis hits relief pitchers too you know. Not like this would never happen if he was a reliever. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Caught end of Matt Blood interview on 105.7 the Fan this afternoon. Said Hall is in Florida and will pitch again this year. 

Not much detail but I thought I would mention. 

It was reported he’d start throwing in about two weeks.  So I’d guess it’s mid-August before he pitches in a game.  

• 2 months later...

Ten MLB pitching prospects primed to pop into Jim Bowden’s top 50 in 2022: Quinn Priester, Bobby Miller and more – The Athletic

4. D.L. Hall, LHP, Baltimore Orioles

"Hall was stellar in his introduction to Double A this season with a 3.13 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 31 1/3 innings over seven starts, but hasn’t pitched in a game since mid-June because of a left elbow injury. His fastball is mostly 97-99 mph with natural life. His changeup is his best secondary pitch, with deception and fade. His curveball is his top breaking ball and shows wipeout-pitch potential in flashes. Hall’s control and command need work (4.55 walks per nine innings); if he resolves those problems, he can reach his top-of-the-rotation ceiling."

I really liked his article.  I take the Athletic also for Keith Law and other baseball articles.  This is his breakdown on Hall.

Fastball 65

Curve 55

Slider 50

Changeup 60

Control 40

Command 40

Could have drafted Texas A&M  lefthander  Asa Lacy last year instead of another corner outifielder. College lefthander with lots of Stuff but command issues.   Lacy was #6 on Bowden's list.

Lacy is MLB's #67 overall prospect.

2 hours ago, waynebug said:

Could have drafted Texas A&M  lefthander  Asa Lacy last year instead of another corner outifielder. College lefthander with lots of Stuff but command issues.   Lacy was #6 on Bowden's list.

Lacy is MLB's #67 overall prospect.

Lacy has 41 walks in 52 IP in A+ right now too.

• Upvote 1

You're absolutely right.  Way worse control than in college.  Only walked a little over 4 per 9 innings at T A&M.  Maybe Miami was smart to pass on him and take Max Meyer.  But I don't prefer short  righthanders.

For me, I thought he would cut his walks and keep his dominate strikeout stuff when he pitched professionally full time.  A reasonable assumption..

The guy is also 6'4" and over 200 lbs.  He's a horse.  Watch his video.