DL Hall 2021

Just Regular

Hall isn't dominating AA quite to the extent Rodriguez did A-ball.    The MiLB website already has tonight's results getting him to the 2.14 ERA.

Doing the same "dirty K-BB%" with their surface stats, I get Hall in 6th among 25 qualifiers with a 32.2 K-BB%.   His 44.8 K% the best, his 12.6 BB% the worst.   Hit suppression, he's 4th.

The walks need to come down, but double-A guys can't hit him. So the question is for development, is he better off working on things at a level he's dominant at? Or is he better off going to a level where they might punish him for his mistakes?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Hall isn't dominating AA quite to the extent Rodriguez did A-ball.    The MiLB website already has tonight's results getting him to the 2.14 ERA.

Doing the same "dirty K-BB%" with their surface stats, I get Hall in 6th among 25 qualifiers with a 32.2 K-BB%.   His 44.8 K% the best, his 12.6 BB% the worst.   Hit suppression, he's 4th.

The higher up you go, the harder it is to post ridiculously dominant numbers.   Hall had one bad outing, has dominated in the others.  It will be interesting to see how Rodriguez does in AA.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to doubt it.  I think Grayson stands a better chance but I would be surprised if either makes their debut…although I think both should.

Yea I agree. Hoping at least one can break camp with the team next year. 

On 5/30/2021 at 7:16 PM, MurphDogg said:

He was clearly focusing on his offspeed pitches. I dont think he threw even 30 percent fastballs. Just dominating with the curveballs and change ups. Fastball was sitting 96-97. One pitch was clocked at 101 in the first inning.

So he's been dominant while primarily working on the pitches he's trying to improve on.  That's impressive - though I'm assuming that he has good command of his fastball - which might not be the case?   It hasn't been the case with Tanner Scott - who's most comfortable throwing sliders - despite having a 98 MPH lefty fastball.  If he does have command of his fastball, it appears that the sky is the limit.    

49 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Strikes out 10 in 4 2/3, but can't get through five innings after being staked to a 6-1 lead....four walks

It is a bit misleading in runs given up though and stat line. He had two outs in the 5th when he got a third called strike but was a wild pitch(not sure how you get called third strike and wild pitch).  He then walked a guy and was pulled and the reliever gave up 3 run homer.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Sig is #2, Elias is #1. Elias does not answer to Sig, it's the other way around. But I agree with your perspective on OAK. They are likely to be motivated in desiring to trade Miller. They are currently not good enough to win even with his dominance. His dominance/effectiveness is keeping their record propped up and preventing them from bottoming out. And they know that he is likely to get injured at some point. They don't want to be caught holding on to him for too long.
    • This is how I see it. He's living the dream. Grew up in Baltimore and was able to get rich and buy his favorite team, which I will not deny I have imagined a million times. I would probably be doing the same thing with fun promos, going to the games, and just enjoying my new toys (while simultaneously having my team working in the background on the "big" items, which i'm certain is happening in parallel: stadium renovations, ground lease plans, MASN, etc.)...
    • It's a concern, but not on the level of Miller's arm. I don't claim to be an expert on elbow fractures, but I doubt that would stop him from being a first baseman. Loewen was a pitcher--I don't think that's comparable unless you only use him to point out that elbow fractures can be recurring. I'm not saying there's zero chance the elbow completely derails Basallo, but I'd put the odds of that well under 10%. I have to admit, I was somewhat wrong about this. I count 7 catchers last year with at least 300 PA and an OPS of .800+. There were 17 first basemen who fit the same criteria. I'm having a harder time defining elite closer, but 7 is a pretty reasonable number. Maybe Bednar, Williams, Hader, Bautista, Phillips, Iglesias, Duran? That said, I'm still not trading Basallo for Miller. We're going to be good for a decade--we don't need to commit to that level this year. I also have far more faith that Elias can find us a good reliever on the scrap heap than a catcher.
    • PHI and maybe MIL are the only teams who have top notch minor league pitching (among the contenders) that they can afford to consider parting with. Given injury concerns, I would think the position player prospect holds more value than the pitching prospect. I believe that's why Elias only drafts position players early in the draft.
    • With Bradish and Means on the verge of returning I'm hoping this is just to give Grayson a rest so he doesn't breakdown in August/September. As long as this isn't serious it's not ideal, but it won't cripple this team. It is another argument for why Elias should consider trading for another starting pitcher. You can never have too much pitching.
    • Umpires these days are like, if you know my name, I’m probably terrible at calling balls and strikes. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now