DL Hall 2021

Just Regular

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

It is a bit misleading in runs given up though and stat line. He had two outs in the 5th when he got a third called strike but was a wild pitch(not sure how you get called third strike and wild pitch).  He then walked a guy and was pulled and the reliever gave up 3 run homer.  

Yeah, did anyone see this play? How do you have a wild pitch on a called strike?

42 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, did anyone see this play? How do you have a wild pitch on a called strike?

I didn't see it but probably a swinging strike on a ball in the dirt that got by the catcher.  Hall throwing in the upper 90s the batter has to get the bat started early.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't see it but probably a swinging strike on a ball in the dirt that got by the catcher.  Hall throwing in the upper 90s the batter has to get the bat started early.

Well if the batter swung then it's not a called strike.  Unless it's just a mistake in the box score. 

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I've seen a wild pitch scored on an apparent cross-up that the catcher has no chance to catch because he's looking for a different pitch in a different spot (even though the scorer doesn't really know who crossed up whom). I can't recall ever seeing that when the pitch is in the strike zone, but I guess it could happen.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Only 58% of his pitches for strikes.

I don't know how accurate Gameday is at that level, but I was following in the first inning and Hall walked a guy on 3-2 and according to the displayed strike zone every single pitch - including all four called balls -- were in the strike zone. Either Gameday is off or the Umpire had a strike zone the size of a deck of cards. 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Where is the box score does it tell you whether it was a called strike or a swinging strike?

https://www.milb.com/gameday/baysox-vs-rumble-ponies/2021/06/12/642953#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=play-by-play,game=642953

Look under Plays -> All plays.

FG Longenhagen + Goldstein on their update bumped him to FV 55 same as Rodriguez and pegged him #32 MLB-wide, I believe the highest I've seen for him.    Their couple phrases used the Hader comp, should he not harness the repertoire to SP.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2021-prospect-list/summary?sort=-1,1&pageitems=200&pg=0&team=bal

Other side of coin - they keep Rodriguez FV 55 and #28 MLB-wide, shy of Baseball America's exuberant take.

Gunnar entered 50 FV range as #88 overall.

All of those raw ranks a little deflated as Longenhagen on intro simply said he hasn't scrubbed list for recent graduates.

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall is going to miss a few weeks.  Had an MRI and no structural damage but he has some inflammation.

Not trying to be annoying, but I’ll just note that Elias said “several weeks” before he is able to start throwing again, which to me is different than missing a few weeks. Full quote from the MASN article below:

““There was some tendinitis, some inflammation, so we’ll pull him out of the rotation, let him rest for a couple of weeks and in several weeks start to build him back up and return to the Bowie rotation here in good time,” Elias said.”

I know this is one of these situations where we’ll all hold our collective breath, and not trying to be overly pessimistic. Just want to manage expectations a bit that I’m kind of feeling like it’ll be measured in months (as in 1-2), not weeks, before we’re seeing Hall pitch in Bowie again. That’s the implication I’m getting from Elias. Obviously all good if so, just need to rest the kid up and hopefully get him back to 100%.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/06/elias-updates-medical-statuses-of-kjerstad-hall-and-davis.html

So much for the discussion of whether he should be in AAA.    With Smith’s promotion and Hall’s injury, Bowie’s rotation suddenly seems a lot weaker.   Of course, they did win a 1-0 shutout yesterday behind Ofelky Peralta and others.   

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road for Hall.