The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

And Hyde didn’t. Mateo’s biggest asset is his glove. It’s Game 2. 

I understand your position, but Mateo has almost no chance against Jansen.  Jansen has held righties to something like a .500 OPS for his career.  Hyde is basically saying that Mateo is more likely to save a run defensively in a 1/2 inning than one of the other options is to get a hit, since a hit will score a run with a man on second and two outs.  Unsurprisingly, Mateo was not competitive in his at bat.

1 minute ago, jdwilde1 said:

I understand your position, but Mateo has almost no chance against Jansen.  Jansen has held righties to something like a .500 OPS for his career.  Hyde is basically saying that Mateo is more likely to save a run defensively in a 1/2 inning than one of the other options is to get a hit, since a hit will score a run with a man on second and two outs.  Unsurprisingly, Mateo was not competitive in his at bat.

You play defense with a lead. 

Yes. That is what he is saying. 

• Upvote 1

Did Holt come out to talk to Bautista after the drop? If not, he should have.

I'll be interested in the lineup tomorrow. Bemboom forces Adley to DH, so does Santander play the outfield? Do they put McKenna there to show they still have faith in him? Or will Hyde notice that Stowers and Vavra are on the team?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Did Holt come out to talk to Bautista after the drop? If not, he should have.

I'll be interested in the lineup tomorrow. Bemboom forces Adley to DH, so does Santander play the outfield? Do they put McKenna there to show they still have faith in him? Or will Hyde notice that Stowers and Vavra are on the team?

Benboom catching, Adley DHing, Stowers in RF, Santander in LF, Vavra at 2B. 

I like to post in the thread when I didn’t like a decision that worked out.  I HATED the decision to pull Tyler Wells after the 8th.  The dude was absolutely cruising and deserved his shot to close it out.   Thankfully The Mountain made it a moot point with an absolutely dominant 7 pitch 9th inning.  I still hate that decision. 

It also seemed odd to bring in a defensive replacement for Stowers while leaving Santander in RF.  Again, a moot point.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like to post in the thread when I didn’t like a decision that worked out.  I HATED the decision to pull Tyler Wells after the 8th.  The dude was absolutely cruising and deserved his shot to close it out.   Thankfully The Mountain made it a moot point with an absolutely dominant 7 pitch 9th inning.  I still hate that decision. 

It also seemed odd to bring in a defensive replacement for Stowers while leaving Santander in RF.  Again, a moot point.  

There are some defensible reasons to bring in Bautista there. Not wanting Wells to face the Rangers' best hitters for a second/third time, or wanting Bautista to get a chance to shake off what happened Saturday. 

Replacing Stowers but not Santander is completely inexplicable. Hope we don't see that often. 

As far as last night goes I think the following. 

Stowers made the last out in the 9th. I think at that point Hyde was willing to take him out knowing he was 9 hitters away from being up again. He may also want Hays over Stowers if the game is tied in the 10th with Hays running. 

I would have been tempted to leave Wells in as well. I’m thinking he wanted to guarantee Wells leaving on a high note. Also wanted to get Felix back out there. I can see both sides of that. 

I know a lot of people are critical of not keeping Wells in for the 9th, but I can see the other side of the argument too.

Bautista had a bad series in Boston, and you have an opportunity in this game to bring him in against a team that looks lost at the plate, in a warmer environment than Boston, to get that whole last series out of his mind.  He can grip his splitter with feeling.  He can protect a lead and get that momentum of a dominate 9th inning...which he did.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I know a lot of people are critical of not keeping Wells in for the 9th, but I can see the other side of the argument too.

Bautista had a bad series in Boston, and you have an opportunity in this game to bring him in against a team that looks lost at the plate, in a warmer environment than Boston, to get that whole last series out of his mind.  He can grip his splitter with feeling.  He can protect a lead and get that momentum of a dominate 9th inning...which he did.

I also think with how things went in Boston that if he was going to Felix he wanted him to get a clean inning.