Bedard on the block?

JTrea81

I think he gave the standard athlete answer to that question.

If the O's over pay, I think he might resign, all things being equal my gut tells me he will opt to play for a winner. If the O's are widely considered a playoff team by 2009, then the odds are better he will stay without significatly overpaying.

I think there is no way in hell he signs an extention until 2009 unless we throw crazy money at him.

Gotta agree with you here. So much of what an athlete says is in the context of not trying to start a wild-fire. They are constantly under the lime-light so if you're asked about a contract extension or whether or not you are happy, the standard operating answer seems to be something along the lines of what Erik said.

Sure, he said he'd want to stay in Baltimore, but I wouldn't call his desire to continue playing here equal to someone like Teixeira. There's a desire to play in Baltimore and then there is a DESIRE to play in Baltimore.

If we don't extend him, he's gone IMO.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's true but that type of thinking will set them up poorly for 2008. Next year the O's will be in the same position with Bedard that Texas is in right now with MT.

Except Bedard would have a lot more trade value(assuming health and performance).

Whoops, you might want to re work your numbers...

Sources suggesting Bedard is eager to bolt : 1

Bedard HIMSELF saying he would stay for the right money : 1

The bottom number holds a little more weight than the top, but you can call it a tie if you would like.

I find it pretty amusing that anyone would find comfort or optimism in Bedard saying, "If the numbers made sense - sure."

Sounds more like, "I'm outta here unless the O's blow me away."

"Stay for the right money" does not equal "eager to stay."

I find it pretty amusing that anyone would find comfort or optimism in Bedard saying, "If the numbers made sense - sure."

I'd go even farther than that. To me, "stay for the right money" means "I'm outta here." If he wanted to stay, he'd say he wanted to stay. Then, if the organization kept low balling him, he'd leave anyway. But, that sure doesn't sound like a reason for optimism.

Yea, i mean obviously some random Orioles exec saying he may go to Toronto is without a doubt a much better source than this. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is there is ZERO evidence to support either claim and to think otherwise is a joke.

I suppose it is just as amusing to call you the "Board National League Analyst" when most of your comments are digs at the Birds...

I suppose it is just as amusing to call you the "Board National League Analyst" when most of your comments are digs at the Birds...

I don't really see that comment as a dig at the birds. Lots of athletes use the "if the money is right" statement to mean "I'm outta here." I interpret that the same way davearm did.

Archived