Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

19 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I think playing him at 1st base is about maximizing his ABs at the professional level, while not having him catch 120 games in one year.  The pattern in six-game series have been, catch 3-4; IB or DH 2 to 3.

He has nothing to prove behind the plate. He is a better catcher than most of the catchers in the big leagues already. This is all about getting AB’s and he is now starting to get comfortable at the plate

How many times is he going to be able to play first base in the majors if Mancini and Mountcastle are still with the O's? If Hayes ever quits getting hurt, there won't be many opportunities for Mountcastle to be in the OF.

1 hour ago, panick said:

How many times is he going to be able to play first base in the majors if Mancini and Mountcastle are still with the O's? If Hayes ever quits getting hurt, there won't be many opportunities for Mountcastle to be in the OF.

If you play him at catcher 5 days a week and give two of the guys a day off once ever three weeks.  It is not like you are sitting guys often.  Week one Mountcastle and Mancini get day off. Week 2 Hays and Rutchman get a day off, week 3 Mullins and Santander get day off.  Now what happens to Stewart will be the issue if they don’t move someone.  

On 6/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, LTO's said:

As someone who has watched quite a few of his ABs on Milbtv and in person, I can tell you he should have even more walks than he does. AA umpires are pretty terrible. Having this level of plate discipline is such a useful tool as you progress.

Yeah, he let's a lot of "close" pitches go that look like balls but get called strikes by the umps. His strike zone judgement is no doubt outstanding.

I was at the game yesterday and sat directly behind home plate (the sun was BRUTAL for the early innings, I was mostly in the concourse but I ran down to my seat for every Ruthschmann at bat).

Tony is definitely right that his strike zone discipline is outstanding. I recorded most the pitches he faced on my phone (willing to send to anyone who’s interested) including the home run, which was super impressive, it was a flick of the wrist on his part and he hit it oppo to damn near the deepest part of the park. 

• Upvote 4

The piece was about 50/50 Jeff Paternostro airing his back in the ballpark feelings and giving a report.

50 Hit / 50 Power are also the grades he gave for the Hit/Power combo, but he was effusive in praise for the 80 glove.   Speculated 10-20 runs of value go poof for him if we get robots.

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The piece was about 50/50 Jeff Paternostro airing his back in the ballpark feelings and giving a report.

50 Hit / 50 Power are also the grades he gave for the Hit/Power combo, but he was effusive in praise for the 80 glove.   Speculated 10-20 runs of value go poof for him if we get robots.

There is no way he gave Rutschman a 50 grade for power right? That is absolutely embarrassing.

I do believe when it comes to the baseball scouting industry, there are those who like to be contrarians. 

First of all, it gets clicks. Going against the common thought in regards to the #2 prospect in baseball is something people will notice and talk about. Look no further than SG being alarmed about something that wasn’t 100% glowing about AR. And here we are talking about it. Now Jeff Mary Elizabeth Masterantonio is on my radar. I’d not heard of him before. 

Second, I’m convinced that there’s no one that holds these people’s feet to the fire. There’s virtually no risk involved in writing about baseball prospects, some of the players will hit, many more will bust. People have relatively short memories and there are constantly articles like this being produced. It’s easy to get lost in the sheer volume of it all and forget what was written or discussed a few weeks ago. Due to the nature of the industry I’m convinced that these writers can say whatever they want, unchecked, as long as they don’t get too carried away. 

If AR is what this guy says he is he gets to beat his chest. If AR is God and this guy is wrong? Who cares, whatever his take at that moment was will be buried under a deluge of other takes since posted. Hardly anyone will remember or care. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do believe when it comes to the baseball scouting industry, there are those who like to be contrarians. 

First of all, it gets clicks. Going against the common thought in regards to the #2 prospect in baseball is something people will notice and talk about. Look no further than SG being alarmed about something that wasn’t 100% glowing about AR. And here we are talking about it. Now Jeff Mary Elizabeth Masterantonio is on my radar. I’d not heard of him before. 

Second, I’m convinced that there’s no one that holds these people’s feet to the fire. There’s virtually no risk involved in writing about baseball prospects, some of the players will hit, many more will bust. People have relatively short memories and there are constantly articles like this being produced. It’s easy to get lost in the sheer volume of it all and forget what was written or discussed a few weeks ago. Due to the nature of the industry I’m convinced that these writers can say whatever they want, unchecked, as long as they don’t get too carried away. 

If AR is what this guy says he is he gets to beat his chest. If AR is God and this guy is wrong? Who cares, whatever his take at that moment was will be buried under a deluge of other takes since posted. Hardly anyone will remember or care. 

All of this is true…but it’s also true that scouts are routinely wrong and maybe he sees something others don’t want to see.