Fans not wearing masks

Greenpastures23

1 hour ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Interesting. I had to wear a mask the other week sitting miles away from everyone

I was at the game last night.  They tell everyone that they are supposed to wear a mask when not eating or drinking.    But they aren’t doing much to enforce it.   I’m a rule follower so I did what they said, but I nursed two beers along very slowly and probably only wore my mask about a third of the time.     Honestly, the way the seats are spaced, I don’t know that masks are needed, but it didn’t bother me to do it.   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Has anyone been to a Nats game recently? I am planning on going to the O's game Saturday and curious if they are still enforcing the masks.  Supposed to be a high of 90 on Saturday...

Went to a Nats game, back on April 24, and they were strictly enforcing.   No idea if that will have changed by Saturday, since CDC recommendations and local ordinances have changed between then and now.

I'll be there Saturday.   Section 110, Row SS, stop by and say hi.   I'll be the Orioles fan with two Nats fans (one of whom is coming up from Richmond area, if that's what your RVA refers to).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Went to a Nats game, back on April 24, and they were strictly enforcing.   No idea if that will have changed by Saturday, since CDC recommendations and local ordinances have changed between then and now.

I'll be there Saturday.   Section 110, Row SS, stop by and say hi.   I'll be the Orioles fan with two Nats fans (one of whom is coming up from Richmond area, if that's what your RVA refers to).

Awesome, thanks! Yes, wife and I have booked a room in DC for Saturday night and are planning on driving up from Richmond.  Haven't purchased tickets yet, was hoping that since we are both fully vaccinated the mask enforcement at least in the seats wouldn't be an issue but it is what it is I guess.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Awesome, thanks! Yes, wife and I have booked a room in DC for Saturday night and are planning on driving up from Richmond.  Haven't purchased tickets yet, was hoping that since we are both fully vaccinated the mask enforcement at least in the seats wouldn't be an issue but it is what it is I guess.

You might want to get the tickets in advance.   I don't know what their current % capacity is, but it could sell out.

It's a 4:05 game.   My two friends and I will probably be in the Stadium/Navy Yard area from about 1pm until game time, eating/drinking at various establishments before the game.   There are plenty of great places to go:

-- Mission Taco -- good food, good beer, right across the street from the ballpark
   -- Bluejacket -- a really high end craft brewer with good food, a bit expensive, about a half mile from the stadium towards the Navy Yard
   -- Salt Line -- an oyster/seafood place between the home plate end of the ballpark and the river, a bit expensive but also has very good beer on tap and an outdoor bar under a canopy
   -- Walter's -- a bar across the street from the stadium  that has tons of good craft beers.    You pay by the ounce and you pour your own from a wall full of taps, as much as you want of each one, and it gets deducted from what you paid.   (Perhaps that is no longer the case in the Covid era).  Named after Walter Johnson
   -- The Big Stick -- good sausage joint about 3 blocks north of the stadium
   -- Can't remember the name but about half way between Bluejacket and the stadium is a good barbecue joint
   -- Atlas Brewing -- about a block from the stadium.   Limited food, usuall+y pizza
   -- Some chains places:  Buffalo Wild Wings, Bon Chon, Nando's, Gordon Biersch within a relatively short walk of the stadium

I am sure we will probably be at one of the first 4 places I mentioned, we just haven't decided yet and might not until we get down and see what is crowded, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You might want to get the tickets in advance.   I don't know what their current % capacity is, but it could sell out.

It's a 4:05 game.   My two friends and I will probably be in the Stadium/Navy Yard area from about 1pm until game time, eating/drinking at various establishments before the game.   There are plenty of great places to go:

-- Mission Taco -- good food, good beer, right across the street from the ballpark
   -- Bluejacket -- a really high end craft brewer with good food, a bit expensive, about a half mile from the stadium towards the Navy Yard
   -- Salt Line -- an oyster/seafood place between the home plate end of the ballpark and the river, a bit expensive but also has very good beer on tap and an outdoor bar under a canopy
   -- Walter's -- a bar across the street from the stadium  that has tons of good craft beers.    You pay by the ounce and you pour your own from a wall full of taps, as much as you want of each one, and it gets deducted from what you paid.   (Perhaps that is no longer the case in the Covid era).  Named after Walter Johnson
   -- Can't remember the name but about half way between Bluejacket and the stadium is a good barbecue joint
   -- Atlas Brewing -- about a block from the stadium.   Limited food, usuall+y pizza
   -- Some chains places:  Buffalo Wild Wings, Bon Chon, Nando's, Gordon Biersch within a relatively short walk of the stadium

I am sure we will probably be at one of the first 4 places I mentioned, we just haven't decided yet and might not until we get down and see what is crowded, etc.

This is awesome! Thanks! We both enjoy craft beer, was thinking about trying to make it by Other Half but looks a little out of the way of the stadium.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

This is awesome! Thanks! We both enjoy craft beer, was thinking about trying to make it by Other Half but looks a little out of the way of the stadium.

The Other Half has some GREAT beer.   I know someone who is an apprentice brewer at their main place up in Brooklyn NY.   He used to work at the Veil in Richmond, which I imagine you are probably familiar with.   We actually went to The Other Half after that last Nats game I went to.  It's not in the stadium area, we had to drive.   I had driven that day because the Metro Station at Greenbelt was closed but it looks like it's open this Saturday so I'll take the train down and meet my friends who are driving in.

The best craft beer you will find in the ballpark area is BlueJacket, or on tap at Walter's (assuming the tap selection is as good as it was pre-Covid).   Nothing wrong with Atlas, the only brewer with an actual taproom in the area, but their beers are just kind of average for the most part.

Salt Line and Big Stick have maybe 10-12 taps but they always make sure to have some good craft beer on tap.   Salt Line tries to have some from New England to go with their oyster theme, so for example I have had some beers fro Maine Brewing there which are very good.

• Upvote 1

The wife & I went to dinner in Frederick on Saturday night and we were in a relatively crowded restaurant and nobody was wearing them in there... so, I'm not sure why they would want to dig their heels in enforcing masks in an open air outdoor setting. Who knows anymore. If they were required, we would have still gone and worn them. I feel like something major changed over the weekend - the bartenders said that was as busy as they had been in a year. 

15 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The wife & I went to dinner in Frederick on Saturday night and we were in a relatively crowded restaurant and nobody was wearing them in there... so, I'm not sure why they would want to dig their heels in enforcing masks in an open air outdoor setting. Who knows anymore. If they were required, we would have still gone and worn them. I feel like something major changed over the weekend - the bartenders said that was as busy as they had been in a year. 

Because a lot of people don’t want to go out to “enjoy themselves” while wearing those stupid masks.  Once Hogan said no more masks, that was good enough.

I went to the store yesterday and almost everyone was still wearing them.  If that’s how it’s going to be, that’s fine.  It’s your choice.  I am just glad I have the option to not wear them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yea I've been to two games this season, the win on Sunday (awesome game) and a loss a couple weeks back.

During the first game the mask requirement was very strict. They had people walking around telling you to mask up in your seats if you weren't eating or drinking.

This Sunday no one seemed to care. Some people had them on, some didn't, but I didn't see any ushers telling people to put them on in their seats. I suppose with the new CDC guidelines they may have opted for a more "we recommend it but don't require it" approach.

I'm fully vaccinated and still wore my mask when walking around the stadium, but I was happy to take it off for the entire time I was in my seat this time around.

And I think one thing we can all agree on, Nats Park kinda sucks. Hope you have fun though, @RVAOsFan!

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Frobby said:

I was at the game last night.  They tell everyone that they are supposed to wear a mask when not eating or drinking.    But they aren’t doing much to enforce it.   I’m a rule follower so I did what they said, but I nursed two beers along very slowly and probably only wore my mask about a third of the time.     Honestly, the way the seats are spaced, I don’t know that masks are needed, but it didn’t bother me to do it.   

I think that's the key. It's "Pod Seating" so you're already in a group of people you came to the game with and you know them. Away from that group (concessions, bathroom breaks) you probably should mask up. I know I would.

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

Most, if not all of the Gordon Biersch locations in the DMV are permanently closed, including the locations near Nats Park and Capital One Arena. 

15 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Most, if not all of the Gordon Biersch locations in the DMV are permanently closed, including the locations near Nats Park and Capital One Arena. 

Thanks, I didn't know that.   Not a huge fan of their beers, but man those garlic fries were good.