Hunter Harvey close to returning

MurphDogg

Not sure that you can rely on him long term, but I'm sure he will pitch when he is here until the next time he can't.

The bullpen could use the help. Hope he pitches for a while without getting hurt.

The two innings is a little odd, nothing wrong with being a one-inning reliever, it isn't 1987, and that comment by Hyde is weird. Unless they think two innings is less strain than throwing on back-to-back nights, I don't get it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

This is good news. But it’s also a bit like Lucy, Charlie Brown and the Football. There’s really no since thinking this time will be different. Of course that won’t stop me from doing it...no question the man has talent. 

I’ll be honest: he wasn’t that impressive to me last year.  Even though he only walked 2 batters in 8.2, his command wasn’t very good.   I’m not expecting him to be a savior.   But, happy to be wrong.   

• Like 1

@MurphDogg I think the two inning hopes are based on pitch count, certainly. But I think you're right that they would like to not use him on back to back days, if possible. I watched the Zoom conference, and Hyde did say that it is very difficult to protect pitchers these days. Personally, I say throw him out there, even back to back nights on occasion. It is time to take the training wheels off. 

33 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

@MurphDogg I think the two inning hopes are based on pitch count, certainly. But I think you're right that they would like to not use him on back to back days, if possible. I watched the Zoom conference, and Hyde did say that it is very difficult to protect pitchers these days. Personally, I say throw him out there, even back to back nights on occasion. It is time to take the training wheels off. 

Still it did sound like (from reading, didn’t hear Hyde and I know tone matters) that Hyde was almost mad at Harvey for getting hurt again.   But I am sure Hyde himself is stretched pretty thin right now and his mood in general is not the best. 

37 minutes ago, murph said:

Still it did sound like (from reading, didn’t hear Hyde and I know tone matters) that Hyde was almost mad at Harvey for getting hurt again.   But I am sure Hyde himself is stretched pretty thin right now and his mood in general is not the best. 

I did not get that from watching it. From my perspective, Hyde is not mad at him. His answer was direct, and I think it was telling of how much he is tired of having to juggle a stable of struggling relievers. He has to protect nearly every reliever he has access to, but it's not about Hunter only. At some point, enough is enough. Throw him out there and let him sink or swim...or go back on the IL. 

I think Hyde has handled himself with class and dignity through a terrible stretch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1