Britt joining in on the bash fest

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who cares what the media has to say?  Especially the out of town media?

I expect people who cover the sport to challenge me intellectually. It’s the Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith personality or agenda driven nonsense that annoys me. 

Sure because it’s the Orioles it’s a topic I care about it but I get annoyed with anything that is inane. These people are in a position to educate the public and they are more worried about click bait headlines. It’s not journalism. That’s all. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No, it’s not Elias’ fault that the past was screwed up but just as you say they aren’t doing their homework, you aren’t doing yours if you compare the WS to us.

My point is they went through bad times. That’s all. They were mediocre, got worse before it got better. Cubs, Royals, Nats years ago, Astros. 

I have referenced the WS in other posts and pointed out what they did. I’m well aware of what they did. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point is they went through bad times. That’s all. They were mediocre, got worse before it got better. Cubs, Royals, Nats years ago, Astros. 

I have referenced the WS in other posts and pointed out what they did. I’m well aware of what they did. 

And other teams have gone through bad times and failed at rebuilding.  

It goes both ways.  Right now, these writers see a franchise who are trying to lose.  A franchise who is an embarrassment.  And they are right.  I know people would rather be lied to than told the truth nowadays but they are accurate in their assessment that this is pathetic.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And other teams have gone through bad times and failed at rebuilding.  

It goes both ways.  Right now, these writers see a franchise who are trying to lose.  A franchise who is an embarrassment.  And they are right.  I know people would rather be lied to than told the truth nowadays but they are accurate in their assessment that this is pathetic.

So that means the Orioles should not do it?

Have the Orioles ever claimed they are focusing on the major league product?  Not once. They have been more than transparent. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I care about one thing, and one thing only: whether the rebuild works and has lasting impact.   If there are 4-5 years of misery before it works, I don’t care.   I knew this wasn’t going to be easy considering how far the team had fallen.

Will it work?   I don’t know yet.   But in the meantime the losing doesn’t concern me.  

It’s not the losing…it’s the lack of long term options.  

I mean, fans are getting all excited about Mountcastle.  Why?  Do you think he is a superstar?  Hell, do you even think he turns into a true AS (ie, not just a token AS because we need one player from The team)?  

Im glad we have him because there is upside there but chances are he is Adam Jones at the plate but with less value in the field and probably on the bases..and definitely not the leader off the field.  That is a useful Player for sure but one to get overly excited about?  I’m not sure I see that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So that means the Orioles should not do it?

Have the Orioles ever claimed they are focusing on the major league product?  Not once. They have been more than transparent. 

So because they have told us their goal is losing, that makes it ok?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not the losing…it’s the lack of long term options.  

I mean, fans are getting all excited about Mountcastle.  Why?  Do you think he is a superstar?  Hell, do you even think he turns into a true AS (ie, not just a token AS because we need one player from The team)?  

Im glad we have him because there is upside there but chances are he is Adam Jones at the plate but with less value in the field and probably on the bases..and definitely not the leader off the field.  That is a useful Player for sure but one to get overly excited about?  I’m not sure I see that.

I am not overly excited about Mountcastle.   I think your assessment is spot on.   

10 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Why is it that national writers can’t seem to grasp such simple concepts? This is worse than Buster Olney’s tertiary view of our rebuild. This lady actually covered the team well and she still doesn’t get it. I think this is just political posturing for national writers to protect one of their own. I really can’t believe she’s siding with Olney. What a traitor.

I don't think she's siding with Buster Olney intentionally.  I just think she's got a bad taste in her mouth from her time here, she wrote that article about how one of the players harassed her while she was covering the team.  She didn't come out and say it, but I got the impression that no one in the organization stood up for her or did anything for her.  Wouldn't be surprised if she's holding a grudge.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I care about one thing, and one thing only: whether the rebuild works and has lasting impact.   If there are 4-5 years of misery before it works, I don’t care.   I knew this wasn’t going to be easy considering how far the team had fallen.

Will it work?   I don’t know yet.   But in the meantime the losing doesn’t concern me.  

I agree.  I also don't really care what the national media outlets have to say.  

As far as I'm concerned, **** Olney, Britt and anyone else who feels the need to take shots.  National media people are typically the worst.  And it's not like anyone should expect anything significant, they have to know a little bit about a lot of teams.  They only have a surface level understanding and that's fine.  

• Upvote 1

I mean, this is pretty much what we signed up for. The previous regime rolled the dice with the franchise's future for a (long) shot at a play in game. That kind stuff in this division is ridiculous and knowing damn well that ownership isn't going to do what's necessary to keep the Machado's of the world, irresponsible. You can't do this stuff with blinders on. When you're MAYBE the 4th best team talent-wise, in your division.... (yeah, "it's baseball", "that's why they play the games", blah blah blah) and you stand pat, you're begging for this.

I'm WAY more embarrassed about 2017-2018 than I am about 2021.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Was it ok when the White Sox dealt Sale, Quintana and Eaton? I mean they sure as hell weren’t trying to win were they? 

It’s fine to do it for a year or 2.  I have said as much. But the WS were still never this bad (division helps no doubt).  They won 67 games in 2017 and 62 in 2018.  In 2019, they were back up to 72 wins and they were a playoff team in 2020 and almost assured of a spot in 2021.  That’s a fast turnaround And they were never pathetic like the Orioles have been.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I mean, this is pretty much what we signed up for. The previous regime rolled the dice with the franchise's future for a (long) shot at a play in game. That kind stuff in this division is ridiculous and knowing damn well that ownership isn't going to do what's necessary to keep the Machado's of the world, irresponsible. You can't do this stuff with blinders on. When you're MAYBE the 4th best team talent-wise, in your division.... (yeah, "it's baseball", "that's why they play the games", blah blah blah) and you stand pat, you're begging for this.

I'm WAY more embarrassed about 2017-2018 than I am about 2021.

I agree 100% and the pain we're going through now is because of the missteps that occurred in 2017-18. It became obvious in 2017 that the 2012 to 2016 run was over, and it was time to start building towards the future. 

The farm system was depleted by 2017 and the much needed reinforcements needed to sustain the success of 2012 to 2016 were years away from arriving. Instead the Orioles made ill-advised trades and signed second rate free agents which is never going to work playing in the AL East. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s fine to do it for a year or 2.  I have said as much. But the WS were still never this bad (division helps no doubt).  They won 67 games in 2017 and 62 in 2018.  In 2019, they were back up to 72 wins and they were a playoff team in 2020 and almost assured of a spot in 2021.  That’s a fast turnaround And they were never pathetic like the Orioles have been.

They had a quicker turnaround because in part they didn’t wait as long to rebuild. There is a cost in trying to win. They lost Tatis for crying out loud trying to win. 

Its impossible to know but if the Orioles had executed it properly in 17 they wouldn’t be as bad now.  

I’m not ignoring how awful this team is right now. It’s hard to watch. You brought up Mountcastle. Everything you said is fair. The thing is though players like him aren’t available in the market.