How good can the 2022 lineup be?

sportsfan8703

Once AR is up, this could be a really fun lineup to watch. The starting pitching is a whole different animal, but this lineup should be exciting. 

1. Mullins CF L

2. Hays LF R

3. AR     C  S

4. Mountcastle 1B  R

5. Mancini        DH  R

6. Santander    RF  S

7. Urias             2B  R

8. Odor            3B   L

9. Mateo          SS  R

Mckenna, Guiterrez, Backup C, Stewart

You can rearrange Hays, Mountcastle, and Mancini. I just like Hays’ “speed” at #2 and think he’s poised for a breakout year. The lineup has good L/R balance. The bottom of the lineup isn’t terrible and has upside. It should give Mullins more RBI opportunities. I’m not sure if we go with a 4 man bench. Stewart or Stowers could slot right into Santander’s spot if he’s traded or injured. Guiterrez would play 3B vs LHP, and be a late game sub. 

If there isn’t a rule 5 draft, then I see it much more likely to have a 4 man bench, since we won’t have a non optional arm in the bullpen. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Once AR is up, this could be a really fun lineup to watch. The starting pitching is a whole different animal, but this lineup should be exciting. 

1. Mullins CF L

2. Hays LF R

3. AR     C  S

4. Mountcastle 1B  R

5. Mancini        DH  R

6. Santander    RF  S

7. Urias             2B  R

8. Odor            3B   L

9. Mateo          SS  R

Mckenna, Guiterrez, Backup C, Stewart

You can rearrange Hays, Mountcastle, and Mancini. I just like Hays’ “speed” at #2 and think he’s poised for a breakout year. The lineup has good L/R balance. The bottom of the lineup isn’t terrible and has upside. It should give Mullins more RBI opportunities. I’m not sure if we go with a 4 man bench. Stewart or Stowers could slot right into Santander’s spot if he’s traded or injured. Guiterrez would play 3B vs LHP, and be a late game sub. 

If there isn’t a rule 5 draft, then I see it much more likely to have a 4 man bench, since we won’t have a non optional arm in the bullpen. 

I do agree that Hays could be poised for an excellent season. It's not a terrible lineup for sure.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They could hit a good amount of homers…but that lineup is made up of out machines.  OBP is terrible and BA would be poor as well.

So, it’s likely below average overall but I agree with Frobby that it has potential to be slightly above average.

Yeah I agree on the OBP front, but that lineup can hit some homers. I’ll keep with the manta that “power plays up at OPACY”. It’s better to try and hit HR with the dimensions of OPACY than try to hit doubles and the rare lucky triples that happen. 

I think it’s our best 1-9 lineup since the 2016 season. Pre-DD sell off, and pre the 2017 debacle where everything went wrong. 

The bench brings what a bench should bring. Defense. We can sure that up even more with adding a decent/stable defensive C for AR even if that C gives us nothing offensively. Suzuki?

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah I agree on the OBP front, but that lineup can hit some homers. I’ll keep with the manta that “power plays up at OPACY”. It’s better to try and hit HR with the dimensions of OPACY than try to hit doubles and the rare lucky triples that happen. 

I think it’s our best 1-9 lineup since the 2016 season. Pre-DD sell off, and pre the 2017 debacle where everything went wrong. 

The bench brings what a bench should bring. Defense. We can sure that up even more with adding a decent/stable defensive C for AR even if that C gives us nothing offensively. Suzuki?

Power doesn’t equal runs.  Hitting homers doesn’t equal runs overall.  Getting on base equals runs.  You can’t score without base runners.

Last year, the Os were 17th in the majors in homers but 26th in runs scored.

• Upvote 2

A healthy Trey, Mullins, AR and Urias should have good OBP.  Mountcastle and Hays hopefully improve some in their plate discipline.  That leaves three bad OBP spots in Santander, Odor and Mateo.  Those three are not pieces going forward unless something drastic (i.e. good) happens anyway.  Stowers can get on base and could replace Santander soon.  I really look forward to having an actual left side of the infield.  Should be fun.  

Here is my desired lineup:

Mullins CF  360 OBP

Urias 2B 361 OBP

Mancini DH 364 OBP

Adley C 350 OBP

Mountcastle 1B 324 OBP

Santander RF 315 OBP

Hays LF 312 OBP

Harrison 3B 341 OBP

Mateo 328 OBP

Bench:  On OD Gutierrez 3B, Odor 2B, McKenna OF, BUC.

Doing the season Stowers and Westburg are promoted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stewart brings defense? I'm with the group that doesn't think that Stewart should even be on the major league roster.

I think you mean shore.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ripken said:

A healthy Trey, Mullins, AR and Urias should have good OBP.  Mountcastle and Hays hopefully improve some in their plate discipline.  That leaves three bad OBP spots in Santander, Odor and Mateo.  Those three are not pieces going forward unless something drastic (i.e. good) happens anyway.  Stowers can get on base and could replace Santander soon.  I really look forward to having an actual left side of the infield.  Should be fun.  

Mancinis career OBP is basically league average, I would not say good. Mullins and 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins CF  360 OBP

Urias 2B 361 OBP

Mancini DH 364 OBP

Adley C 350 OBP

Mountcastle 1B 324 OBP

Santander RF 315 OBP

Hays LF 312 OBP

Harrison 3B 341 OBP

Mateo 328 OBP

Seems like you are cherry picking the best sample for each player plus projecting a couple of career highs. Each projection is not unreasonable on its own but I doubt it all adds up to plus team OBP. I also tend to doubt we are getting Harrison now that we have Odor.

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins CF  360 OBP

Urias 2B 361 OBP

Mancini DH 364 OBP

Adley C 350 OBP

Mountcastle 1B 324 OBP

Santander RF 315 OBP

Hays LF 312 OBP

Harrison 3B 341 OBP

Mateo 328 OBP

That seems a rather optimistic projection. Except AR, I think his OBP will likely be higher. 

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancinis career OBP is basically league average, I would not say good. Mullins and 

Seems like you are cherry picking the best sample for each player plus projecting a couple of career highs. Each projection is not unreasonable on its own but I doubt it all adds up to plus team OBP. I also tend to doubt we are getting Harrison now that we have Odor.

We will see about Harrison. He is better at 3B than Odor or Urias.

Last year the Orioles were 14th in the AL with 659 runs scored, 12th in OPS in the AL with .705. Those numbers and ranks are not park-adjusted. Both are a long way from league-average. I tend to look at the median -- the #8 team -- rather than the mean, but I doubt it makes much difference. Last year the median team scored 723 runs and had an OPS of .722.  

I'd love to see the Orioles get to the AL median in either category, but think it's very unlikely with the lineup that's being discussed. Some guys will have disappointing seasons. Some will miss time and/or play but be hampered by injuries. Some of the other lower-half offenses are likely to improve, too. 

But this is always a good time for hope to spring. And this year we can hope for an MLB season as well as a better Orioles team.