So Odor makes it - how will he be used?

interloper

Just now, Frobby said:

I say Odor will get 6-8 weeks and will play a lot during that period.   If he doesn’t produce, he’ll be DFA then.   Not much reason to think he will produce, but you never know. 

I just don't see the upside to having him on the team.

He's not going to make a tangible difference on this year's squad, he won't bring anything back in trade and he won't be back next year.

Yes he plays second and bats left handed but he's not really good at either of those things at this point.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't see the upside to having him on the team.

He's not going to make a tangible difference on this year's squad, he won't bring anything back in trade and he won't be back next year.

Yes he plays second and bats left handed but he's not really good at either of those things at this point.

I’m not saying I like it.   Just saying what I think will happen.   I think they’ll see if they can catch lightning in a bottle and fix what’s broken.   If not, move on.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Roch’s article hinted at Urias at SS and Odor at second.

For a team that claims to care about analytics, it’s mind boggling that they are handling a starting spot to a terrible player like Odor.  He has been awful for years and looked terrible in ST.  Why should he be handed anything?

Odor's getting the Chris Davis treatment. Contracts too big to sit on the bench or DFA. So he plays. 

2 minutes ago, justD said:

What?  How did I miss this?  His previous team is paying his contract while he's with us?  

His previous previous team.

When Texas traded him to the Yankees last year, the Rangers took on the obligation of paying most of his remaining contract as part of the deal.   So Texas was paying all but the minimum when he was in New York last year, and they will continue paying all but the minimume when he is in Baltimore this year.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, justD said:

What?  How did I miss this?  His previous team is paying his contract while he's with us?  

I stand corrected, I thought he was still under an old contract.  O's signed him to a 700K deal.

My mistake, glad I checked before doubling down.

OK, now I'm seeing different things, hold on a sec.

He has a $12 million salary for 2022, and the Rangers are responsible for all but next year's minimum. Texas is also responsible for a $3 million buyout of his 2023 option.

The current minimum salary is $570,500, but that could change in the next collective bargaining agreement.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32757823/baltimore-orioles-rougned-odor-closing-one-year-deal

OK so I was right the first time and the wording of the 700K piece (new minimum) was just a bit odd and threw me off.

Sorry for getting distracted.

I think a lot depends on Gutierrez.

Urias is a everyday player based on what he did last year.    Mateo showed good range, a great arm with some error proneness because of his hands.  He hit last year when given the chance to play everyday.  And he hit this spring.   He should get a chance to play everyday.

Gutierrez has good range and good arm at 3B.  He has some error in his game.  He has not been known as a hitter in the majors.   He hit well both in Sept and in the spring.   He should get a chance to play every day at 3B.  But he is on a shorter leash than the other two.

Owings can fill in anywhere but he is not a hitter.  Strictly a back up.

Odor has done nothing in the last two years to make him an every day player.  And he was terrible in ST.   The only thing that gets him any playing time at all is Elias/Hyde propensity to play everyone.   

Now if Gutierrez does not hit than Urias can move to 3B and Odor can get at bats at 2B.   This is for the first month.

The cut down in the roster in May could put pressure on Odor.   Also if Martin and/or Diaz  play well at AAA in April than either could be promoted.   Martin could obviously cost Odor his spot.   But also if Diaz is promoted and Stewart optioned the cut from 28 to 26 player could make the cut happen in the infield.   That would likely be Odor.

Stowers could also figure  into this but probably not until June.

Injuries will play a part.

I don’t like Odor as much as the next guy.  However, Urias is the only one that has truly shown something.  Odor was better than Gutierrez last year and they are all similar in age.  I’m sure if Odor is awful early in the season, his playing time will be reduced and he will eventually be released.  I believe they will all get playing time and when rosters are reduced, a decision will be made if not sooner.