Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Mets DFA'd Jordan Yamamato yesterday, who is 25 and has 5 years of control remaining along with a bit of upside, so naturally we go out and sign what's left of Matt Harvey. Again. 

:bangwall:

Yeah, this is a headscratcher.  I mean, if you're looking at it from the perspective of a veteran presence, fine, I get it, Matt Harvey has experience.  But Cueto was available.

But Yamamoto is a guy we should take a look at regardless.  He's had some arm issues and he doesn't throw hard so he'd fit right in with our Quad-A All-Stars.  

7 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Staying on the good side of Borass! Think next year. Think a certain Borass shortstop. Gotta keep the "story" going!😀NBAD.

You know what?   That might be the best justification for the move that I have seen today.

Still not in favor of it, but it moves the needle more than any other possible reason I've seen.

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Not sure if anyone posted Elias' quotes on this yet (you understand if I don't want to spend time scrolling through this downer thread lol)...

I read the quotes.  I don't want to overreact to what is ultimately a pretty low-impact move, but when you are coming off of 4 years (and going into a 5th) of absolutely shameful baseball, why the hell is Matt Harvey's loyalty something anyone even cares about?

He still has some stuff, and he has a record of underperforming his FIP, but I think if he's on the major league roster this year it's basically an indictment of the state of our pitching development.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I read the quotes.  I don't want to overreact to what is ultimately a pretty low-impact move, but when you are coming off of 4 years (and going into a 5th) of absolutely shameful baseball, why the hell is Matt Harvey's loyalty something anyone even cares about?

He still has some stuff, and he has a record of underperforming his FIP, but I think if he's on the major league roster this year it's basically an indictment of the state of our pitching development.

I have to agree here. We are in year 4 of Elias' regime and if he's still running the Harvey's of the world out there to pitch, then he's failed to develop and or identify good young starting pitching.

• Upvote 1

• MurphDogg changed the title to Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)
17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure how it works, but they should promote him now, get the 60 game suspension out of the way because I'm assuming in 60 games from now we'd probably need to haul his husk out there to get lit up by the Yankees and Sox since everyone else is probably ineffective.

That would trigger his MLB contract though. I would think he gets suspended for 69 games in the minors.  

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That would trigger his MLB contract though. I would think he gets suspended for 69 games in the minors.  

Good call, I mean a million prorated is way expensive for this team.

But it's an MLB suspension pending, not an MiLB.  It seems as if he can play in the minors without facing a suspension, right?  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good call, I mean a million prorated is way expensive for this team.

But it's an MLB suspension pending, not an MiLB.  It seems as if he can play in the minors without facing a suspension, right?  

Would have to think of a MiL player would be suspended for same thing. Curious.