Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

So how many games before they get the extra year on him?  That to me is the only excuse to not bring him up.  Maybe they let him pitch to Adley at least one game.  You bring up Grayson then Adley two weeks later.  That would create a steady stream of "buzz."

They’ve already got the extra year.  

• Upvote 1

No Wednesday road bump as works his way back through the weekdays.

Next Tuesday Norfolk is at Gwinnett.   Mark your work calendars, booked for an 1105am Tuesday gametime.

Braves AAA tonight lead off a player you might have heard of named Ronald Acuna.   Pat Valaika hit 3rd, Delino DeShields was in the bottom of the lineup.

Still I feel in play he might face Acuna in his last AAA game and throw the first Orioles pitches Carlos Correa sees this season on Monday, May 2nd.   

The Tuesday morning turn I suppose makes it a little easier for him to take the Tuesday-Sunday two step against Acuna, and leave us waiting longer.

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

So how many games before they get the extra year on him?  That to me is the only excuse to not bring him up.  Maybe they let him pitch to Adley at least one game.  You bring up Grayson then Adley two weeks later.  That would create a steady stream of "buzz."

We are passed that.  Its was April 18th.

MILB.com is quick at updating its stats pages.   Through tonight, 92 International League pitchers have made two or more starts.

Grayson's 43% estimated K-BB% is 1st by a lot; Thomas Szapucki is 2nd but has just 5 innings across his 2 "starts", Max Meyer is 3rd at 33%.    The 10% gap between 1st place Rodriguez and 3rd place Meyer is the same as the gap between 3rd place Meyer and 21st place Casey Lawrence.

Tides starter ranks among the 92 guys: Rodriguez 1st, Bradish 26th, Smith 87th (that 1.69 ERA won't be long for the world), Brnovich 92nd.

• Upvote 2

Meyer was my favorite pitcher in that draft class.  Everyone seemed to be hyping Lacy but Meyer was my guy because the talk was his command was superb.  He’s the only pitcher I would have considered taking in that draft.

Still going to hold out hope that Miami can win enough to stay in the race and wants to make a run at Mullins.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am now in the "call him up" camp. 

I am pretty much there, too.   It won’t kill me if he makes another 3-4 starts in Norfolk, and perhaps there isn’t urgency right this second since our rotation is in the midst of a hot streak.   But any concern I had about him adjusting to the major league ball has been answered fully.   The only thing he has left to do is push his pitch count up, and I really don’t care if he does that in AAA or in the majors.    I am anxious to see him pitch against major league hitters.   

23 minutes ago, Babkins said:
<iframe src="https://streamable.com/milb/rodriguez-strikes-out-eight-x6864" width="560" height="315"></iframe>

(The above is an attempt to embed video. If it doesn't work, here's the URL.)

I will say, a few of those looked like pitches that major leaguers would lay off or would make contact on.   But let’s find out.  

Nice article on milb.com today.  Here’s a couple of quotes:

"Obviously, you like to see those results but a walk, a hit and one swing of the bat can change things," said Rodriguez. Despite the results tonight, he added that his biggest adjustment to Triple-A was changing his mentality on the mound from previous seasons. "Instead of trying to strike everybody out, being in the zone until we get to two strikes and then trying to punch the hitter away.”

“In the Minor Leagues, it’s all about development. Numbers are something that come second," said Rodriguez. “The thing that I worry about the most is walks. My dad beat into my head when I was younger that a walk is the only thing that you can’t defend."

https://www.mlb.com/news/grayson-rodriguez-continues-to-dominate-at-triple-a?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage