Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently, still missing some in the zone.  3 strikeouts last night.   Hard to complain about a guy with a 1.068 OPS or whatever it is but I'd feel better if the K's were more like 20% than 25%.

Agree, one thing that strikes me watching Adley is that he's very comfortable hitting with two strikes. I think that might be something Cowser struggles with 

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently, still missing some in the zone.  3 strikeouts last night.   Hard to complain about a guy with a 1.068 OPS or whatever it is but I'd feel better if the K's were more like 20% than 25%.

The Orioles realize that the strike zone in the majors is smaller than the minors.  Accordingly, they train the hitters to only swing at ML strikes. I would like to know how many of the strikes were ML strikes.  Of course, this is still a valid concern, but we just don't have all of the data.  Also with "hitterish" guys like Cowser, there could be a bit more of an adjustment.  

• Upvote 1

Cowser is an interesting case for the Oroiles since he came into the system with an elite eye, yet maybe was getting hits in "non-damage" zones "too much". I think that's the give and take here and why we don't see a lot of high averages in the minor league system. The Orioles are willing to see guys fail a bit in order for them to see a lot of pitches that hopefully trains their eyes to hit big league pitching. 

Tough game last night for Cowser with the three K's and a really bad unforced throwing error. But those games happen. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, RZNJ said:

He looks plenty strong to me right now.  He's kind of lanky but he's not weak from the looks of it.

Here’s a couple pics from tonight that show that lankiness.  Got him next to Watson and then next to Rhodes. 3E0EF409-5E80-4DF7-B84D-C30CD6373FDE.thumb.jpeg.ae4b33ac3f5ecfff01c453d44bf4c755.jpeg3C4182F4-667E-4038-A215-58CFBBAB9FAA.thumb.jpeg.4db8375e0c95de10d7ac6b526bc98803.jpeg

Edited by justD
Landlines? Ugh autocorrect!
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, justD said:

Man that catch was phenomenal!  There was no way I expected him to get it. (bottom of the 3rd, in right field tonight)

I’m sure someone will post a tweet from On the Verge soon 😒

It was a real nice catch for sure. He need all of his height for that one.

• Upvote 1

Cowser just made a hell of a one-hop throw from deep right field to get the runner trying to tag to go to 3rd. The runner first looked like he was jogging like there was no way Cowser could make that throw, then started to run hard, then never slid as the tag was put on. His coach just walked away from him. lol

Still, hell of a throw.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1