Keegan Akin 2022

Frobby

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I thought he passed that test.  In Oakland on April 21 Akin entered the game in the 5th inning.   With 2 out he gave up a homer to Sean Murphy.   Then he kept throwing strikes to get the next 4 hitters in a row to finish 2 innings of work. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/playbyplay/_/gameId/401354432

That was a good sign, and I took it as such.  But I mean a game where he really gets knocked around, not giving up one homer.  It’s bound to happen sometime.  But hopefully, not for a while.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Another really efficient outing for Akin today, getting though two innings in 15 pitches.   It’s really amazing how differently he’s pitching.  

He fell behind the first batter or two yesterday and I was like, "alright, the old Akin has returned, it was fun while it lasted", but the next thing I knew he had retired the side. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop with Akin, but for now it's great to see. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Just a reminder that Akin isn't vaccinated.  It's going to really stink when the O's have all those games in Canada at the end of the year.  Anyone else on that list we know about?

There's at least a chance their covid policy changes by the end of the season. Also, there's a chance that Akin turns back into a pumpkin well before that. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehh…I think it’s a surprise that he is throwing strikes at the level he is but not surprising that he is doing really well as a reliever.

I’m always surprised when any Orioles pitcher succeeds in any role.   

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Q: I know he's not a prospect, but when you see Keegan Akin looking this good in long relief, and with a lack of starters, trying him again in the rotation is a good move. Or, better to let him succeed in his new role.

Eric A Longenhagen

I'd let him keep rolling in relief

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/eric-longenhagen-chat-13125.html

I'm probably one of the strongest supporters of giving relief pitchers chances in the rotation on this board, going all the way back to Britton, but I'd keep Akin right where he is.  At least until the All-Star break.  Let him continue to have success and gain confidence; or let him turn back into a pumpkin.  But leave him where he is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm probably one of the strongest supporters of giving relief pitchers chances in the rotation on this board, going all the way back to Britton, but I'd keep Akin right where he is.  At least until the All-Star break.  Let him continue to have success and gain confidence; or let him turn back into a pumpkin.  But leave him where he is.

I’m in the same category.   As efficient as Akin has been with his P/IP, he might be able to go 6ish on a regular basis.   But he’s thriving where he is, and on pace to throw 100+ quality innings as a reliever.    That’s extremely valuable.   

Akin single-handedly kept us in the game last night, throwing 3.2 scoreless innings, his longest relief outing of the year so far.   He wasn’t quite as pitch-efficient as he’s been in most other outings, but still yielded only one hit and one walk.  His ERA now stands at 1.46.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Akin single-handedly kept us in the game last night, throwing 3.2 scoreless innings, his longest relief outing of the year so far.   He wasn’t quite as pitch-efficient as he’s been in most other outings, but still yielded only one hit and one walk.  His ERA now stands at 1.46.   

I do wonder if Watkins struggles and they aren’t ready for Grayson yet if they will put Akin short term back in the rotation.  That said he is throwing so well I’m not sure I would mess with that.