Hudson Haskin 2022

ChuckS

10 minutes ago, connja said:

Just hit a grand slam.  Looks like we have another solid OF prospect.  Bye by DJ Stewart.

Still a great game and a phenomenal start to the season, but the grand slam was hit off of Akron's fourth outfielder, pitching in relief in a game that Akron trailed by 8 runs. Home run derby lob into the plate 

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Still a great game and a phenomenal start to the season, but the grand slam was hit off of Akron's fourth outfielder, pitching in relief in a game that Akron trailed by 8 runs. Home run derby lob into the plate 

So what you're saying is Haskin doesn't follow the unwritten rules?

49 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Anyone noticed what changed in his approach that triggered the early power? He doesn't look like he added any significant weight/muscle, seems on the thin side. 

Maybe the promotion to Double A.  Aberdeen is notoriously hard to hit home runs in and I think the whole league skews to pitchers.  He had five home runs in 200 at bats in Delmarva.  That's not nothing. 

So far this season he's had the three home run game and then one against a position player soft tossing it up there.  I'm not sure we can call him Kyle Stowers yet.  But maybe he can be a high average, high OBP guy with 15-20 HR power.  Kind of what we were hoping from Colton Cowser. 

• Upvote 1

David Laurila of Fangraphs gave Haskins a shout out in his Sunday column:

“Hudson Haskin is slashing .438/.486/.906 with four home runs in 35 plate appearances for the Double-A Bowie BaySox. Selected in the second round of the 2020 draft by Baltimore, the 23-year-old outfielder is No. 26 on our Orioles Top Prospects list.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-peter-gammons-perfected-the-baseball-sunday-notes-column/

Explanations for Haskin’s power surge:

Kyle Moore: “I think Huddy’s just, he’s super athletic, so he swings fast. He’s a fast runner, he’s an explosive player, so I think he ran into a few where he’s actually really swinging fast and not trying to necessarily manipulate the ball, but trying to put a fast swing on a ball to the middle of the field. And it just so happens it’s working out for him to really accelerate the barrel right now.

“But I think he’s always had that in the tank. To just really clear his approach to the middle of the field fast, and that’s kind of helped him with that.”

Haskin:

“I worked really hard over this offseason, made some adjustments,” he said. “Biggest thing just working on my posture and making sure that my body’s in a better position to hit. Felt like I hit a lot of balls hard last year, but I wasn’t putting myself in a position to drive the ball. Now that my body’s in a better position, I think that I’m starting to see more results.

“I had some people that I was working out with that helped me a lot. Tried to address some physical issues, making sure that I was moving properly, and also just working on being consistent and staying tall through my swing.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/haskin-had-only-a-brief-setback-after-being-hit-in-hand