Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

Based off of what we have heard and know, it seems like the most likely defensive options, if all goes well in terms of development, is that Henderson is at third, Westburg at second and Mayo at first.

My hope is that Henderson can stay at SS and Mayo can stay at third.  

I feel confident that Westburg can handle 3rd but is maybe better suited for second than Henderson is.

• Upvote 1

FWIW Eno Sarris on this weekend's Rates and Barrels podcast guessed Top 15-20 come midseason re-ranks based on a seemingly flawless AA breakout while still 20 (seasonal age 21).

Colorado's opposite SS this week Ezequiel Tovar also looks like a main rival for an Eastern League MVP award I really hope he doesn't get the playing time to challenge for.

OPS up over 1.000 and avg. over .300 with a 3 for 3 night so far and game is only in the 5th.  With Prieto at Bowie now I have to imagine Gunnar is heading to AAA sometime soon.  I don’t think there is much left for him to do at AA. 

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

OPS up over 1.000 and avg. over .300 with a 3 for 3 night so far and game is only in the 5th.  With Prieto at Bowie now I have to imagine Gunnar is heading to AAA sometime soon.  I don’t think there is much left for him to do at AA. 

Like Grayson Rodriguez last year I doubt they are in a huge rush to move him to Triple A because then if he gets 300 plus at bats there and performs well it’s hard to justify not starting him in Baltimore on OD in 2023.  You know they want that extra year of control. 

I stand by my original prediction that he plays in the Double A All-Star game and goes to Norfolk following that.  The optics will look better for holding him down there to start next season. I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Like Grayson Rodriguez last year I doubt they are in a huge rush to move him to Triple A because then if he gets 300 plus at bats there and performs well it’s hard to justify not starting him in Baltimore on OD in 2023.  You know they want that extra year of control. 

I stand by my original prediction that he plays in the Double A All-Star game and goes to Norfolk following that.  The optics will look better for holding him down there to start next season. I could be wrong. 

The game looks real slow to him down there in AA, but for reasons you mentioned I imagine you are most likely correct.  

In AA last year:

Neusttom 261 PA, .831 OPS

Stowers 276 PA, .938 OPS

Rutschman 357 PA. .901 OPS

To date, Henderson has 173 PA and a 1.000 OPS.   You could argue that his higher OPS warrants moving him faster than these three moved, but I doubt that happens.   I’ll say Henderson is on “promotion watch” as of June 26.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, Just Regular said:

FWIW Eno Sarris on this weekend's Rates and Barrels podcast guessed Top 15-20 come midseason re-ranks based on a seemingly flawless AA breakout while still 20 (seasonal age 21).

Colorado's opposite SS this week Ezequiel Tovar also looks like a main rival for an Eastern League MVP award I really hope he doesn't get the playing time to challenge for.

Interesting tidbit today from BA (see second tweet):

• Upvote 4

Just another comment here, for years this board debated over the benefit of a top prospect spending time in AAA at all.  There were many posters that felt that the best prospects could just go straight from AA. And here we have a guy with an OPS over 1.000 and we're speculating that he should get a promotion to AAA around the AS break.

Just an interesting note on how the philosophy has changed.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Just another comment here, for years this board debated over the benefit of a top prospect spending time in AAA at all.  There were many posters that felt that the best prospects could just go straight from AA. And here we have a guy with an OPS over 1.000 and we're speculating that he should get a promotion to AAA around the AS break.

Just an interesting note on how the philosophy has changed.

I'd rather he be in Baltimore but everyone knows that already.