Potential Trey Mancini Trade Destinations

BohKnowsBmore

4 hours ago, oriole said:

Who else would have to go to San Diego with Mullins and Mancini if they wanted Abrams in return? An infield of Abrams, Henderson, and Mateo seems interesting assuming Mateo can play a decent 2B and we all keep in mind that he is a 9-hole hitter speedster. 

I prefer Robert Hassell to Abrams, and the Padres seem more inclined to deal Hassell than Abrams anyway.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he is hitting well, I think you can get a few pieces that may end up playing the role of a reliever or some role player type role.  Combine that with saved money, the roster spot and making it even easier to play younger players and I think is a move you do.  I don't want him here for 10M next year.

There is also a respect thing for Trey here.  Let him go somewhere and win.  Also, be willing to eat some of the contract to increase your return.

The last part would be refreshing… when was the last time we did that?  

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course it is.

Mancini has played five games in the outfield this season.  That's five too many.

Mountcastle is the 1B and he needs to play everyday.

With Adley on the roster and players like Santander needing days off from the field the O's can't afford to have an everyday DH.

Now if you'd rather extend Mancini and trade Mountcastle, that's a horse of a different color.

I think I would prefer to trade Mountcastle and extend Mancini if Mountcastle’s trade value is high enough. I’m not sure what Mountcastle’s value is given his profile as a hitter with above average power, a low OBP, and average defense at 1B. In fact, by OAA, Mancini has been better defensively at first than Mountcastle. I also like Mancini’s approach better and I think he could be had on a reasonable 3 year deal. But the money you would pay to Mancini would need to be balanced against the value the of prospect(s) you would receive in a Mountcastle trade and I’m not sure the prospect value would be sufficient to warrant extending Mancini and trading Mountcastle.

So I think I would rather trade Mountcastle, I’m just not sure it would make sense. Do you have any thoughts on that option?

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course it is.

Mancini has played five games in the outfield this season.  That's five too many.

Mountcastle is the 1B and he needs to play everyday.

With Adley on the roster and players like Santander needing days off from the field the O's can't afford to have an everyday DH.

Now if you'd rather extend Mancini and trade Mountcastle, that's a horse of a different color.

I definitely don't wanna trade Mountcastle

• Upvote 2

It doesn’t have to be an either/or w/r/t Mancini or Mountcastle.

Mancini isn’t a long term piece and should be dealt.  There is a potential argument for having him on the 2023 team but a lot of things have to go right (and wrong) for that argument to carry a lot of weight and he’s not good enough to hold onto as a just in case.

Mountcastle can easily be dealt even if Trey is.  The idea behind dealing RM would be someone placing a lot of value in his age, salary and service time and believing they can get more out of him.  He’s valuable for what he is right now, at his salary and service time.  That value starts to diminish when his salary gets into the mid to high 9 figure area.

If he can be a main cog in a trade to bring you back a starting pitcher or a SS, I’m all for it.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The key numbers for me in this decision are:

Mancini - 30

Mountcastle - 25

Definitely trade Mancini and keep Mountcastle.

The other key numbers are $$$. 

While I'm not looking to save the ownership money, if we extend Mancini, that's $10M (or more) per year whereas Mountcastle is still pre-arb. If we can keep the bulk of the players cost very low, it provides more flexibility for some big names when/if we do go out in free agency and compliment this team. 

• Upvote 1

If you were Trey Mancini, would you be giving these Orioles Brett Gardner and the Yankees exclusive use type rights?

Asking semi-seriously...I believe he'll be better than Kyle Stowers next year, but does he care about $8mm instead of $5mm.    There's always a right price for right-enough players.

Mountcastle and Mancini are I believe in same ballpark production wise for 2023, but one costs 10x or 15x more.

Are we willing to take on cash to buy a prospect?  Instead of paying Correa $30 million a year, we could buy CJ Abrams. 

Mancini and Santander for Myers, Voigt, and Abrams. 

We’d take on 60% of Myers $23 million, 60% of Voigt’s 5 million. That’s $17 million to buy Abrams plus, trading Mancini and Santander. We could trade Myers for whatever since we’re paying him. Stick Voigt at DH the rest of the season and hope he rebounds or DFA him in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the whole "taking on bad contracts to get a prospect back in a trade" angle is the stuff of message board wet dreams.  I don't think this really happens in real life all too often.

Happens less often now that Dan isn't running a team.