Veteranosity and chemistry: it’s a thing

Frobby

Obviously, all other things equal I'd rather have a team with "veteranosity" and "chemistry." That said, I wonder how you would quantify the effects something like that has on a team? Best I can think of is have "experts" assign some kind of score or classification to the clubhouses of the various teams each year and when a player switches teams from a bad or good clubhouse to the opposite see if their performance changes by more than we would normally expect from them being one year older. That said, how would you separate the clubhouse effect from the player receiving different, and possibly better or worse, coaching?

I'm glad Chirinos, Odor, Mancini and Lyles are well-liked and have fostered an atmosphere of fun. I'm not sure how much that actually contributes to winning games. That said, these guys aren't going to be around for long one way or the other. I hope someone else steps up to maintain clubhouse atmosphere when they do, or at the very least the players who remain act like grown-ass men and do their jobs to the best of their ability regardless. I have a hard time believing someone could get to the majors if their performance nosedives every time someone they like leaves their team.

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

Human nature is not quantifiable, Odor is the swagger.  

He should use some of his swagger (confidence) to get his batting average to a respectable level. I don’t hate the guy but I’m tired of the surplus of .200 hitters. Since Chirinos was also mentioned, he also needs to be adequate with the bat. Hard to be a good example when you are one notch above an automatic out. We don’t need his catching leadership now that Adley is here. Find a guy who can contribute more than rarely! Just my 2 cents.

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I have no doubt it's real.  But it's not transferrable.  You can't acquire it.  It can disappear in a moment.  Chirnios and Odor were teammates on both the 2014 and 2018 Rangers, who each won 67 games and fired the manager in mid-season.

The 2002 Orioles were oozing veteranosity.  Jeff Conine had two World Series rings.  Mike Bordick had played in four postseasons. Scott Erickson had led the league in wins and innings and had a World Series ring and played in six postseason series.  Buddy Groom was a 36-year-old veteran of 10 MLB seasons with a 1.60 ERA.  Mike Hargrove had two pennants and was one of the most successful managers of the 1990s.  And that team won 67 games and finished the year 4-32 in one of the great collapses ever.

Buck Showalter managed a 47-win team and a 100-win team.  HOF manager Bill McKechnie managed the 1935 Braves, who had Babe Ruth and still went 38-115.

So enjoy your veteranosity and chemistry, because while it happens it's not by design.

Im not sure about this point! Does Chirinos’ nearly constant failure at the plate ruin his credibility with our young hitters. I think it does and I’m not sure you miss him now that Adley is here. 

I respect the Rah-Rah that Odor brings and unlike Chirinos he does bring some occasional power. But, .200 hitters don’t carry as much weight as a guy like Trea or the Angels leaders in Trout and Othani. I think the line of thinking in this thread is off. Baseball is a game of stats. Many of us at some point in our life played some level of competitive ball. We knew who was successful and who was mediocre. I know who I listened to back in the day. I think Chirinos probably has more weight with the pitchers but still don’t think we’d miss him.