Which player would you be most/least excited about?

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, I get this.  Solid bet is a similar thing I would have said about Cowser last year but is that #1 pick worthy with some much other talent out there?

The #1 pick should hav elite upside..HOF potential.  MVP type guy. Not solid regular.  

I would take Lee over many people and he would be filed under a category of disappointed but not hate the pick but I hate the pick if the draft ends up like last years, where you don’t really take advantage of the savings.

A college bat also fits in with the timeline of contention we’re looking at. Could conceivably be on the OD ‘24 roster. We don’t have another high value IF outside of Gunnar and Westburg, so he would provide that too. 

Outside of Jones, he might be my preferred choice at 1:1. Of course, like you said, you need to use the assumed savings you’ll get from drafting him first. 

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone talk me into Brooks Lee.

Since I heard Sig likes Brooks Lee I have been thinking I should probably get prepared to hear his name called.  I have kind of talked myself into it by telling myself he should move fast through the system and you can start him in the infield soon with Henderson Westburg and Mountcastle (sounds kinda nice).  With Kjerstad and Cowser looking promising maybe an infielder fits our needs more than an outfielder like Jones.

I prefer Jones, this is just how I am preparing myself for Lee.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

A college bat also fits in with the timeline of contention we’re looking at. Could conceivably be on the OD ‘24 roster. We don’t have another high value IF outside of Gunnar and Westburg, so he would provide that too. 

Outside of Jones, he might be my preferred choice at 1:1. Of course, like you said, you need to use the assumed savings you’ll get from drafting him first. 

I agree. I would only add that we could use some younger talent that lies outside the immediate window to help sustain or even lengthen the competitive window. The first group will get expensive, and we can move some of them, while having some continuity. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree. I would only add that we could use some younger talent that lies outside the immediate window to help sustain or even lengthen the competitive window. The first group will get expensive, and we can move some of them, while having some continuity. 

Yeah that would be my argument for Jones. By the time he’s ready, I’d assume we’ll be ready to move on from Cedric in CF, since his defense would presumably decline. Having the international signings in the pipeline will also lengthen the competitive window after the initial wave of prospects come up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, waroriole said:

A Hs bat taken #1 should be ready by 2025, so I don’t think that matters.

Just now, waroriole said:

Less likely if the player is being taken more for his defense than bat. Also more projection in a HS pick, so a lower floor. 

Yea but if you are taking a HS kid #1, you believe in the player, which means if you are right, they should move fast.

The teams window isn’t just the next few years.  It’s beyond that and a HS kid fits perfectly into it.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but if you are taking a HS kid #1, you believe in the player, which means if you are right, they should move fast.

The teams window isn’t just the next few years.  It’s beyond that and a HS kid fits perfectly into it.  

Yeah I don’t disagree with you. That’s the case for Jones. Of course, the O’s may not believe in Jones’ bat to justify 1:1. If you want the case for Lee, that’s it. High floor, better fit for current timeline, and potential for another high dollar signing. 

Excited about Jones, Holliday.  I'd be okay with Lee, Collier, Johnson.  

I don't think we have to worry about Berry, but I'd be pretty upset if we took him.  Though the meltdown here would be a sight to see.

I've got a sneaking suspicion the pick will be Holliday.  While I'd prefer Jones, I think he's going to want close to slot and I just don't think Elias is going to do that.  And again, I'm excited about Holliday, too.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

And you suggested taking those guys with the #2 pick back in 2020?  

I've been mentioning those guys since the draft in 2020, yes. And how I hated the Kjerstad pick because it was such a reach. Still think so even though I think Kjerstad could wind up a good or even great player (and thought he could be good at the time of the pick) and even though he just put up video game numbers in Delmarva. Hassell, Veen, and Walker would have all been underslot and better "reaches" than Kjerstad.

I've been vocal on this board about Gunnar Henderson being a stud since the day we drafted him. Feel free to check my posting history. 

24 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I've been mentioning those guys since the draft in 2020, yes. And how I hated the Kjerstad pick because it was such a reach. Still think so even though I think Kjerstad could wind up a good or even great player (and thought he could be good at the time of the pick) and even though he just put up video game numbers in Delmarva. Hassell, Veen, and Walker would have all been underslot and better "reaches" than Kjerstad.

I've been vocal on this board about Gunnar Henderson being a stud since the day we drafted him. Feel free to check my posting history. 

I did. I don't see any posts about Henderson after the 2019 draft.  After the Kjerstad pick you said you would have much preferred Martin, Lacy, Gonzalez, or Veen.   

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I did. I don't see any posts about Henderson after the 2019 draft.  After the Kjerstad pick you said you would have much preferred Martin, Lacy, Gonzalez, or Veen.   

Yep. Hated the Kjerstad pick and was on the record as such on draft day. Lacy is a guy who looks like a bust, but he was never going to be Elias's pick there given his aversion to pitchers (and rightfully so). Martin is a straight bust, but the Jays extracted great value from him in a trade, so he was still a good pick for them. Confident Elias would have done something similar if he had been the O's pick, but Elias probably didn't like Martin's profile on draft day.

I've been posting about liking Hassell, Veen, and Walker much more than Kjerstad since sometime in 2021.

Feel free to cherry pick my posting history, but I've posted more about Gunnar than any other player since 2019. I definitely remember posting in a 2019 draft thread about how I loved the pick. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I have no need to prove anything to you. And if it's not there, I don't care.