Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yankees trade for Benintendi. I consider Mancini and Benintendi to be comparable in terms of trade value. 

Not seeing how they’re the same in terms of trade value. I mean, Benny actually plays good defense for starters. 

From an OPS perspective I suppose they’re similar but I can’t see Mancini bringing back three pitchers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not seeing how they’re the same in terms of trade value. I mean, Benny actually plays good defense for starters. 

From an OPS perspective I suppose they’re similar but I can’t see Mancini bringing back three pitchers. 

No vax for Benny. Playoff implications. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

3 pitchers who are in the Yankees top 30, but none higher than #13.   And the Yankee farm system is what, average or even below average?   Would any of those guys be in our top 20 @Tony-OH ?

If Mancini brings back less than that, then I'm not sure it's worth dealing him.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

3 pitchers who are in the Yankees top 30, but none higher than #13.   And the Yankee farm system is what, average or even below average?   Would any of those guys be in our top 20 @Tony-OH ?

If Mancini brings back less than that, then I'm not sure it's worth dealing him.

At this point, it may be worth keeping him to get the 3rd round comp pick when he leaves via FA.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming they would offer the QO.

I don't think so.   I think with Mountcastle as the 1Bman moving forward, Rutschman needing to DH some, and lots of hitting talent knocking on the door, I don't think they will offer $19 million or whatever it is for someone who would basically slot as a primary DH.   And it would hurt Trey too, making him less signable because he would cost a team a pick.  I don't think they'd do that to him on the way out.

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't think so.   I think with Mountcastle as the 1Bman moving forward, Rutschman needing to DH some, and lots of hitting talent knocking on the door, I don't think they will offer $19 million or whatever it is for someone who would basically slot as a primary DH.   And it would hurt Trey too, making him less signable because he would cost a team a pick.  I don't think they'd do that to him on the way out.

OK...I wasn't sure how the QO's were affected by the new CB.   Both you and @Can_of_corn make valid points about that.    I'm guessing you are both correct and if they don't find a suitable deal for Trey now, they will just let him walk after the season.

57 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I generally agree, but I also wonder if the Orioles can find someone willing to deal quality instead of quantity. KC seems to be in the mode of collecting quantity. We saw that when the dealt the 35th pick of the draft to Atlanta for Waters, Hoffmann and Alexander. This Benintendi deal seems to be much the same, picking up three pitching prospects, but nothing really exciting. 

If the Orioles target one guy instead of 3 for Mancini and maybe package him with someone like Tate. I think the return may be more inspiring (albeit just a single player of consequence). 

All that said, if the only return is less inspiring than the Benintendi return and a mediocre farm system's 20th overall prospect as the headliner, I'm not sure I take that either. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Not sure honestly. I'd have to go watch them a bit, but just reading up a bit, they kinda sound like Zach Peek, maybe Drew Rom types.

In a vacuum I think the NYY farm tends towards deep/strong.    Last year's Gallo trade kind of a symbol for me of that...Glenn Otto, Josh Smith and Ezequiel Duran are kind of good but not really good enough to play for us, so here you go.

I loosely understand they are pretty good at teaching some sweeper breaking ball so 24 and 25 year olds can dominate AA, and then get to be parts of pupu platters before they go pitch to 6.00 ERAs in the Show.

Early in their Minors runs, applying my Elias lessons, I see MLB Clubs bonused Champlain $150k, Sikkema $2mm (plus he went to college in Missouri) and Beck Way $600k.    So almost $3mm in bonus allotment for pitchers doing okay and who haven't hurt themselves presently as of this summer.

Pedigree snobbery is always going to hurt Mancini relative to the world's Josh Bells, Benintendis and Schwarbers.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Padres system is rather barren in the form of pitching.  I am not sure how they match up even though they have decent farm.  They have given up a lot over last few years and most of what they have left is position players.  If I am moving guys I am looking for pitching for most part.  

16 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Padres system is rather barren in the form of pitching.  I am not sure how they match up even though they have decent farm.  They have given up a lot over last few years and most of what they have left is position players.  If I am moving guys I am looking for pitching for most part.  

I could start with Hassel III