Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

There's definitely a case to be made that the club could want him around next year. His agent almost certainly will say hell no, you're testing free agency. That said, say Mountcastle suffers a bad injury next year, the O's would be glad to have Mancini because their true 1B options are real thin. To me, Santander is the guy to move. There's so much more OF depth. You can still find room for both Mounty and Mancini in the lineup with Stowers taking over a COF spot. Mancini isn't really blocking anyone if Santander is traded. 

This really does seem like the move that makes the most sense, move Santander as the headliner for a controllable starter.  Maybe make that Snell deal that was floated happen.  Then try and trade Lopez separately for pitching prospect close to major league ready.

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also - is what you get for Mancini better than the comp pick you get from offering him the QO?

Sort of agree with Moose that we may just stand pat. Elias' trades have been pretty safe, so I don't expect a blockbuster. Still - there's an obvious SP need, so I'd love to see him land some kind of controllable SP even if the guy needs some work. At the end of the day, the offseason might just make more sense. We'll know a lot more by then. 

Zero chance Mancini would turn down a QO, and I honestly can't see Elias offering it to begin with. 

I still think Mancini will be dealt, just not sure it'll be to the Mets, although Peterson fits the controllable SP.

55 minutes ago, billw76 said:

Zero chance Mancini would turn down a QO, and I honestly can't see Elias offering it to begin with. 

I still think Mancini will be dealt, just not sure it'll be to the Mets, although Peterson fits the controllable SP.

They have a mutual option. I think there is 0 chance it’s mutually accepted. I doubt Mancini gets more in a QO situation. 

Wont be the Mets….Maybe Houston or Cleveland 

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They have a mutual option. I think there is 0 chance it’s mutually accepted. I doubt Mancini gets more in a QO situation. 

Wont be the Mets….Maybe Houston or Cleveland 

I agree, 0 chance it's accepted and I can't see him even being given the QO.

Not a whole lot of options of places to send him outside the teams you mentioned, maybe the Twins, Mariners or Brewers, all 3 could use DH help, but not sure if any are looking for a bat.

Benintendi a rental returned

Though The Athletic’s Keith Law did not have any of the three pitchers in his top 20 Yankees prospect ranking in February, MLB Pipeline ranked Sikkema at No. 19 and Way at No. 21. FanGraphs, meanwhile, slotted Sikkema at No. 18 and Way at No. 26.

KC top 30 on mlb.com have Way as #12 for KC and Sikkema #21 and Chapman #30

This gives some idea of what to expect in trade for Trea

BTW, this spring KC was ranked 8th and the Yankees were #13.

Edited by Roll Tide

https://sports.yahoo.com/bust-process-rebuilt-orioles-bright-103651619.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9sLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKR6vwmykw4teVpal-Sab3Zd2Tl3eFjaOy0l2jZRTMeuTfHNLWAl53zaz4kaPyslM5BOfs6X-GU1m4sB3Y6R7vnOZf4qhb0lrrDpVW02zTA92Q5mk-bnvnfV3HrQGMfciehav61e0haBFFva3WnYqeTUmWHbT1-zZqh6jagwGflC

Very good story by Gabe Lacques of USA Today, now picked up by Yahoo.

He got some in depth quotes while Tampa was in from both Shawn Armstrong and Drew Rasmussen on the team and Adley.    Armstrong speculated, as I do indeed hope, that some attack plans that might have been curated for future years might now be trickling into 2022's mix.     60 PA against Vladimir Guerrero await, the first chunk of which will occur while wildcards might still be in range.

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bunch of proposed fake trades.  Most of them not very realistic on what another team would be willing to give us. Not terribly interesting. 

I think few of the prognosticators have a good enough insight into the farm systems of the involved teams to make educated guesses as to trades.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think few of the prognosticators have a good enough insight into the farm systems of the involved teams to make educated guesses as to trades.

This is the absurd proposed Soto trade.   No chance Nationals would take this. 

OF Colton Cowser, 22 (Law’s Orioles No. 3 prospect, No. 52 overall)
INF Jordan Westburg, 23 (Law’s Orioles No. 6 prospect, just missed Law’s 100)
SS Joey Ortiz, 24 (Law’s Orioles No. 7 prospect)
RHP Kyle Bradish, 25 (Law’s Orioles No. 10 prospect)
RHP Dean Kremer, 26 (free agent after 2027)

41 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bunch of proposed fake trades.  Most of them not very realistic on what another team would be willing to give us. Not terribly interesting. 

Would did you think of the Benintendi trade? Rental for #12, #21, and #30. How would you compare that return to your best guess at Mancini & Santander?

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Would did you think of the Benintendi trade? Rental for #12, #21, and #30. How would you compare that return to your best guess at Mancini & Santander?

I imagine that is better than what Mancini will draw and I wouldn’t do Santander for that given how many controllable years he has left. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

This is the absurd proposed Soto trade.   No chance Nationals would take this. 

OF Colton Cowser, 22 (Law’s Orioles No. 3 prospect, No. 52 overall)
INF Jordan Westburg, 23 (Law’s Orioles No. 6 prospect, just missed Law’s 100)
SS Joey Ortiz, 24 (Law’s Orioles No. 7 prospect)
RHP Kyle Bradish, 25 (Law’s Orioles No. 10 prospect)
RHP Dean Kremer, 26 (free agent after 2027)

Doesn’t matter, Elias isn’t trading that much and John Angelos isn’t agreeing to the contract that Soto already declined. Plus the O’s Gnats issues.