Happy Monday!! Any promotions today?

Aglets

17 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Seems like they should be able to give him as many reps at 1B at Norfolk as they'd want. Not like we have any premium prospects playing the position on that team. 

They could definitely play him there, but Lewin Díaz is a premium defender at 1b and hitting so they want to keep him playing there and keep Kjerstad in AA. I'm sure they could find enough PAs for him in AAA though between 1B/RF/DH.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They could definitely play him there, but Lewin Díaz is a premium defender at 1b and hitting so they want to keep him playing there and keep Kjerstad in AA. I'm sure they could find enough PAs for him in AAA though between 1B/RF/DH.

Diaz has really cut down the strikeouts.  He's off to a monster start as well.  It'll be interesting to see if Diaz comes up before September call ups.  He's only 26.  Maybe he's finally putting most of "it" together.  

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Diaz has really cut down the strikeouts.  He's off to a monster start as well.  It'll be interesting to see if Diaz comes up before September call ups.  He's only 26.  Maybe he's finally putting most of "it" together.  

If they ever DFA Torrens, I would love to take a look at Diaz since it would be too soon to get O'Hearn back on the roster. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

If they ever DFA Torrens, I would love to take a look at Diaz since it would be too soon to get O'Hearn back on the roster. 

Given that Diaz got claimed 5 times the last time he got DFA'd, he is out of options, and he is OPS-ing .942 at Norfolk, you aren't really going to be able to just take a look at him.

If Diaz comes up it will almost have to be to stay, or I would expect a team not in contention to pick him up. It may be worth eventually losing him to add him as a 26th-man, but as long as there are other options, I wouldn't consider bringing him up unless Mountcastle were to get hurt or something and he could potentially be up for a decent stretch of time.

He could be a solid 28th man in September though, assuming we have an available 40-man roster spot at that time.

• Upvote 1

With respect to the Tides movement, I think the 1st to move any time soon would be Fontana (back to AA).  He was called up from Bowie when Haskin went down on 4/18.  He has done okay... nothing to make him be demoted but nothing to keep him around.  With Norby getting more time in the outfield, along with a long line of Infield prospects that can also play OF to get AB's.  He is likely the first one out. 

Handley went on 7 day IL on the 2nd of May.  So he could be put back on Tide's 28 man tomorrow (9th) if his hand has healed up enough?  That puts 3 catchers on the Tides and with 3 on O's not sure there is a 'taxi spot' available.  So eventually something's gotta give with the number of non-prospect catchers between Torrens, Bemboom, Kolozsvary, and Handley.  Handley is the cheapest with no MLB time. 

The Fangraphs Transaction table is pretty interesting...  if the O's had only waited a few more days, Austin Wynns became available. https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/transaction-tracker?transactiontype=dfa

At AA, Pavolony is still on 7 day IL (since April 16th).  Florentino came as the 2nd and hasn't done anything...  and Rodriguez had a great week vs Erie going 7-15 raising his avg from .179 to .279.  So... all these guys could be expendable but no one is ready from Hi-A to make that move.  At this point... in 261 MiLB ABs, Pavolony is my choice to cut if/when a move needs to happen.  He was the same draft year as Willems, so maybe that is the expendable guy.  Cut Pavolony and move Florentino back down to Delmarva when someone moves up from Delmarva.

Folks are clamoring for Creed to move up (Potentially when Ardoin moves up).  However, Ardoin needs a lot more work in HiA as his current K rate is 38% and his BB rate has dropped to 12%.  Retzbach was the Rule5 pick so can't see O's cutting bait there yet.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Still not expecting anything.  But maybe next week?

Selfishly I am hoping to get to an Ironbirds game this week to see Jackson.   So I'm open to him staying in Aberdeen at least until Memorial Day before going to AA.  ;)

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Seems crazy that they wouldn't have some promotions today. I wasn't expecting Holliday, but something like Pinto at least. 

Pinto struggled in his start this week. Aberdeen is home this week so Holliday stays. At best he goes to Bowie the week after when they are home. 

My guess is they'll give Holiday a solid two months minimum. My guess is they want to give the league a chance to try to get a book on him, and then him have to adjust as teams change their plans of attack. I think they'd somewhat like to see him "struggle" at Aberdeen, to learn to play through it. Theoretically it will happen at some point, and handling it is a skill. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Pinto struggled in his start this week. Aberdeen is home this week so Holliday stays. At best he goes to Bowie the week after when they are home. 

Yeah, I think the affiliates being home has more to do with it then we realize. This is the Jackson Holliday affiliate tour. 

Aberdeen is home through the 28th. Then they go on the road. Bowie is home starting on the 30th.

I’m going to go out on a short limb and say Holliday is promoted on Memorial Day the 29th. He’ll be in Bowie’s lineup the 30th.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

What does that mean?

I am watching for a Kjerstad promotion to AAA and Haskin return to AAA from rehab.

Yes!!

Easton Lucas is coming to Norfolk you guys!

Edited by Aglets
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1