Roch (MASN): DL Hall is joining Orioles tonight

eddie83

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is it odd?  Elias has said all year that he wants to get Hall up here.  Hall only has 20-25 innings left in him this year.  

The only odd thing is that he isn’t already up here.  

People just get too obsessed over a few good or bad outings.

Nothing has happened in his last couple outings to suggest that he’s more ready for the majors than he was three weeks ago.  And from the standpoint of the O’s staff, nothing has happened to suggest they need Hall more than they would have needed him three weeks ago.  That’s all I’m saying.   To be clear, I’m happy about the promotion.  

Swing Decisions - Yandy on the year inside the Top 10 that Adley is knocking on the door of.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=250&type=5&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31

I don't care if Yandy gets a hit....the first thing I'm hoping to see today will be if DL Hall with all the adrenaline can manage to not walk one of the game's sharpest eyes, and stay away from the 25+ pitch type of first inning that will guarantee a very short night.

Despite the Ferrigno physique, Yandy's ISO is Bottom 20%.    He's a slow singles hitter up there looking for the walk, don't let him have it.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nothing has happened in his last couple outings to suggest that he’s more ready for the majors than he was three weeks ago.  And from the standpoint of the O’s staff, nothing has happened to suggest they need Hall more than they would have needed him three weeks ago.  That’s all I’m saying.   To be clear, I’m happy about the promotion.  

What happened is they traded Lopez and the bullpen seems slightly at risk of taking a step back.

They need the arm.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d love to understand how the Orioles decide when to promote guys.   This timing seems quite odd, and there have been other moves in the minors that seemed really oddly timed as well.  

But far be it from me to question it.   I can’t fault the overall results of whatever the heck they’re doing.   And, bad or good, I’m just jazzed to watch Hall pitch in a major league game and see firsthand what the fuss about his stuff is all about.  

And dang it, I am blacked out in Central FL!  I have to find a local watering hole to watch 😬.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Vespi optioned to make room for Hall.

Tough break.  I think he's been better than Baker and he's certainly done more than Louis Head.   

P.S.  Do we risk losing either of those guys if we option them?

Edited by RZNJ

13 minutes ago, bobmc said:

And dang it, I am blacked out in Central FL!  I have to find a local watering hole to watch 😬.

Get in your golf cart and drive down to St.Pete, dammit!   I’m sure the Trop isn’t sold out for this historic event.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Hall will replace Vespi as the third lefty in the pen.  And Nick will probably be back up by September 1.

Did Watkins lose his spot in the rotation or is this definitely only a one-time start for Hall and then to the bullpen?

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

Did Watkins lose his spot in the rotation or is this definitely only a one-time start for Hall and then to the bullpen?

Roch reports he’s heard the latter.  And now would be a strange time to jettison Watkins. 

Per Roch's article this morning it sounds like this is his only start and will go to the bullpen to control his innings.

Hall is starting today, but no one is expected to leave the rotation to create space for him. I’m hearing that he’s likely to make a spot start against the Rays and then serve in a multi-inning relief role through the remainder of the season.

This is how Hall can help the Orioles down the stretch, and it also enables them to control his innings. Don’t be surprised to see it happen.

The Orioles have a specific count in mind for Hall and can’t waste any of them in Triple-A if they think he’s ready for the majors. They don’t want to shut him down early. This is how they can manipulate it.

Hall will go back to starting in spring training. This is temporary.