Roch (MASN): DL Hall is joining Orioles tonight

eddie83

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A few Savant fastball benchmarks, assuming we are about to see 40-ish fastballs with that one time only layer of adrenaline atop talent.

2022 Hader, 449 sinkers, 97.2 average MPH, spin 2001

2022 McClanahan, 657 4-seams, 96.7 average MPH, spin 2223

2022 Akin, 477 4-seams, 93.3 average MPH, spin 2249

2022 Bautista, 473 4-seams, 98.9 average MPH, spin 2333

2022 DL Hall, 44 4-seams, 95.4 average MPH, spin 2189

All MLB 4-Seam velocity leaders as of today - Duran 100.6, Munoz 100.1, Clase 99.9, Helsley 99.3, Graterol 99.3, Diaz 99.0, Bautista 98.9

Some Lefty 4-seams - G. Soto 98.6, Aroldis 97.6, Alvarado 97.4, Tanner Scott 96.9

Now updated with DL Hall yesterday results.    That darn Gary Rajsich - its fast but maybe it doesn't spin right...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yea, command was an issue.  It’s always the worry with him but even then, his stuff can be so electric that he misses bats.

But he didn’t have his good fastball and his breaking pitches were pretty mediocre.

His change up was very nice and fooled them but he didn’t have his top stuff today, that much is obvious and yes, the inability to miss bats was an indication of that.

I didn’t find his stuff to be overly impressive today but I also don’t think that’s an indication of anything other than he didn’t have his best stuff today.

**** I think*****

And really hasn’t had it for a month of starts. He was walking a bunch of guys in triple A and giving up runs against inferior talent. He didn’t pitch 5 innings in 2 of his last 3 starts and just into the 6th in his last start before the call up. There was no reason to believe he’d be successful or give the team more than 4 innings. 

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports Guy I don’t have a link*****

Edited by Roll Tide

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yea, command was an issue.  It’s always the worry with him but even then, his stuff can be so electric that he misses bats.

But he didn’t have his good fastball and his breaking pitches were pretty mediocre.

His change up was very nice and fooled them but he didn’t have his top stuff today, that much is obvious and yes, the inability to miss bats was an indication of that.

I didn’t find his stuff to be overly impressive today but I also don’t think that’s an indication of anything other than he didn’t have his best stuff today.

I had very much the same takeaway. Having not seen him pitch since last year, the big difference was the bite on his breaking pitches. Their sharpness along with his easy velocity is what made people call him electric, me included. What I saw yesterday is probably a one-off…didn’t have his good stuff or nerves…who knows. But I am guilty of pondering innings, elbow injury, breaking-movement, slight dip in velocity, and recent AAA struggles in the same thought. But far more likely he just didn’t have it yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I had very much the same takeaway. Having not seen him pitch since last year, the big difference was the bite on his breaking pitches. Their sharpness along with his easy velocity is what made people call him electric, me included. What I saw yesterday is probably a one-off…didn’t have his good stuff or nerves…who knows. But I am guilty of pondering innings, elbow injury, breaking-movement, slight dip in velocity, and recent AAA struggles in the same thought. But far more likely he just didn’t have it yesterday. 

***** I Think*****

How so?

Did you look at the stats for his last few starts at AAA?

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports Guy I don’t have a link*****

Edited by Roll Tide

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And they are sending Hall back down.

We'll see how much service time he ends up with.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Hall is an up and down guy while he's option-able.  Could take a while to earn enough service time to reach free agency.

They’ve said he’ll resume starting next spring. If he’s up for a month+, they’d have to hold him in AAA for 2 months next year. Really don’t see that happening unless he implodes. 

3 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

They’ve said he’ll resume starting next spring. If he’s up for a month+, they’d have to hold him in AAA for 2 months next year. Really don’t see that happening unless he implodes. 

What do you call his last few starts a AAA and yesterday. I know they are enamored with his stuff but he has hardly earned a spot in the rotation and needs to correct his mechanics or he shouldn’t be called up.

8 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I just see him as a Tillman/Gausman type that is up and down for a bit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The DL Hall Fiasco is getting out of hand. This is ridiculous. 

Some of you are acting like this is the end of the world and we just ruined our playoff chances yesterday. It’s absurd. 

So he did terrible yesterday, what’s the big deal?  Why are people having a meltdown? Why are there these wild conspiracy theories about Elias promoting him on the road and setting him up for failure so he can prove s point?  

My God, there’s a chance to take 2/3 from the Rays today and the meltdown about DL Hall is carrying over. Jeez, how are some of you going to handle yourselves when the Orioles are in an actual playoff series?

Calm Down Kevin Bacon GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

My point is, it was a dumb decision by Elias!

In his last start Watkins allowed four runs in five innings to a lackluster Pittsburgh lineup.  Two starts before that he allowed 10 hits in five innings. 

I think you're too quick to call decisions dumb.  Hall had some problems yesterday in his debut, but there was certainly no guarantee that Watkins was going to roll to victory.  If Watkins was "disrupted" by pitching relief on his start day he must be pretty beholden to stringent routine.  Not that I think this is at all true, but do we really want to count on a pitcher who is flummoxed by coming in in the 4th inning instead of the first on the day he was scheduled to pitch?

Half the threads on the board for weeks and weeks have been berating Elias for leaving top prospects in AAA while the Orioles are trying to contend.  But when he finally calls up their 2nd-best pitching prospect for a spot start and he's not Steven Strasburg Elias is dumb.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The DL Hall Fiasco is getting out of hand. This is ridiculous. 

Some of you are acting like this is the end of the world and we just ruined our playoff chances yesterday. It’s absurd. 

So he did terrible yesterday, what’s the big deal?  Why are people having a meltdown? Why are there these wild conspiracy theories about Elias promoting him on the road and setting him up for failure so he can prove s point?  

My God, there’s a chance to take 2/3 from the Rays today and the meltdown about DL Hall is carrying over. Jeez, how are some of you going to handle yourselves when the Orioles are in an actual playoff series?

If the Orioles' second-best pitching prospect has a 12.27 ERA going forward how are we ever going to contend?  Right now he's on a 162 game pace to go 0-33 and allow like 250 runs. I mean, the team has a payroll lower than most Korean teams.  Gunnar Henderson is supposedly the best prospect in baseball but can't even get out of AAA.  Grayson Rodriguez is taking forever to come back from some kind of supposedly not serious injury, like we can trust the org that had Dylan Bundy miss years with injuries and then he wasn't any good.  Elias is all about saving cash, so you can assume Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Lyles will all be gone this offseason.  And he's probably lining up that Rutschman trade before he hits his arb years. 

Nashville, here we come!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

My take for the record:

He looked like he has a chance to be pretty close to who was pitching for the other team today, and that's not a bad thing to be.

95-97 fastball. It's easy to say he had no command, but it's more accurate to say it came and went.   And it definitely wasn't there in the beginning.  The fastball obviously becomes a real weapon if he can control it better.

His best pitch today was his changeup.  He controlled it the best; and he got the most Ks on it.  A few of them, God forbid, looking.

He controlled his breaking balls better than his fastballs too.  Many looked sharp.  He got hurt a couple times later on them.

It's going to be all about command with this guy.  I don't think that's any innovative insight.

This is a good synopsis.  I do think he was amped up, as evidenced by the first pitch and two of the pitches to the first batter he based, that were about 18 inches above the strike zone.  Just looking at him, he was visibly antsy.  But his command isn’t that good anyway, even when he’s not amped up.  I did like his stuff and I believe it will play well in the majors if he can throw strikes and hit his spots more consistently, especially on the inside part to RH hitters and at the top of the strike zone.   But notice I said “if,” not “when.”   

My view is this is going to be a process, not a situation where a switch is flipped and he’s suddenly Sandy Koufax.  I think we’ll be grumbling about his inconsistent command for at least a year or two.  It’s a matter of how often.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Missed 7 bats..below average swingstr% of just under 15%.  This is a guy that had a 40% whiff% on each of his pitches in the minors last year.

His stuff wasn’t impressive today and the stats and his pro career back that up.  It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have impressive stuff but he rarely got into the upper 90s and even Big Ben said he was expecting to see 100 today.  He was more 96 for most of the day. 

I feel it was more about location than stuff.  You throw a 97 mph fastball 18 inches above the strike zone, batters don’t swing and miss.   Throw it at or two inches above the strike zone, they do.  He also couldn’t hit the inside corner and tie hitters up that way yesterday.   

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the Orioles' second-best pitching prospect has a 12.27 ERA going forward how are we ever going to contend?  Right now he's on a 162 game pace to go 0-33 and allow like 250 runs. I mean, the team has a payroll lower than most Korean teams.  Gunnar Henderson is supposedly the best prospect in baseball but can't even get out of AAA.  Grayson Rodriguez is taking forever to come back from some kind of supposedly not serious injury, like we can trust the org that had Dylan Bundy miss years with injuries and then he wasn't any good.  Elias is all about saving cash, so you can assume Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Lyles will all be gone this offseason.  And he's probably lining up that Rutschman trade before he hits his arb years. 

Nashville, here we come!!!

If Elias really cared about money, DL Hall would have debutted at home. The additional 681 fans that would have shown up would have made that cash register SING!

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

What do you call his last few starts a AAA and yesterday. I know they are enamored with his stuff but he has hardly earned a spot in the rotation and needs to correct his mechanics or he shouldn’t be called up.

I get he's struggled lately. But if he's struggling and isn't promoted, that's not manipulating service time.