Roch (MASN): DL Hall is joining Orioles tonight

eddie83

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s a B comp round pick (2nd rounder). Who has gotten through the minors in 2+ season and would be here if we weren’t doing so well. I think he’s more valuable in a deal if he’s has an extra year of control. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he has a .900 OPS in the last 2 season and 800 at bats.

I do not think it is likely that teams are going to attach much excess value to his last year of arbitration.

Most guys that make it to the majors don't make it that far.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do not think it is likely that teams are going to attach much excess value to his last year of arbitration.

Most guys that make it to the majors don't make it that far.

What’s been shown to have more value, a rental for 3 months or a player with an additional year of control. I doubt he’s traded anytime unless all the guys below him continue the fast charge. 

41 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It’s throwing a baseball.  He does it well until he doesn’t.  He does it well like 49% of the time.  Pitching on the big stage is scary.  For someone who isn’t a strike thrower, the big stage can get scarier.  I believe in putting people on positions where they can succeed and then build on success.  DL will be good but don’t like him as a SP right now.  

Eh, he struck out six and walked three. He didn’t look scared. It was a great opportunity and he has room to improve. That doesn’t make the decision wrong or his performance a failure.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Um ..no 

You insinuated that I was exaggerating his performance by a 1/4 of a run per game to make your point. A 4.76 ERA and 5.00 ERA at AAA are both pretty bad. 

He was called up when he was pitching his worst. I asked a question about his era over those last 4 starts that has sabotaged his season and you ignore it with the comment in this post. You can make all the excuses you want but the reality remains the same.

2 of his last 4 starts have been bad. His last start in AAA he allowed 2 runs over 5+ innings with 8k’s.

I didn’t insinuate anything, you were exaggerating his numbers. I didn’t call you a liar or anything like that. You need to take it easy.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

What’s been shown to have more value, a rental for 3 months or a player with an additional year of control. I doubt he’s traded anytime unless all the guys below him continue the fast charge. 

I don't think the O's got a lick more for Schoop with the extra year of control attached.

A guy only has more value if teams think he going to provide excess value over his salary.

If a guy is a probable non-tender at arb 3/4 prices the team picking him up won't pay for that extra year.

30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Anyone who judges Hall’s stuff based on watching 3+ innings of his first major league appearance needs to reevaluate their scouting skills.

Thank you. I’m not saying he’ll be a successful ML starter, but one ML start does not a ML career make.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Eh, he struck out six and walked three. He didn’t look scared. It was a great opportunity and he has room to improve. That doesn’t make the decision wrong or his performance a failure.

I love the guy and am a huge fan.  I think he will be great.  There is  just something going on that he hasn’t quite figured out yet.  I’d think small doses of success v. Throw him out there would be a better approach, but I’ll defer to the Pros. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was Adley hurt in 2021?

Grayson should have been up before he got hurt.

Mountcastle should have been up, and working on stuff, when rosters expanded in 2019.

I said I thought you could make an argument for Adley in 2021. But the counter is he only played 43 games in AAA by the end of 2021. Elias has definitely been slow to promote top guys, but it’s disengenuous to assume it’s only because of service time manipulation. 

GrayRod had 11 AAA starts. He was clearly about to get promoted. And then had an unfortunate injury. You can disagree about how Elias promotes guys, but this wasn’t a service time thing. 

Same thing with Mountcastle. 

If they wanted to manipulate time, why not keep Hall down until May? Or till September and preserve rookie status? Seems an unlikely time to promote him. Unless service time isn’t the concern. 

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s a B comp round pick (2nd rounder). Who has gotten through the minors in 2+ season and would be here if we weren’t doing so well. I think he’s more valuable in a deal if he’s has an extra year of control. I’m not saying he’s going to be a star but he has a .900 OPS in the last 2 season and 800 at bats.

If they deal him this offseason, I doubt 40 games of ML experience & service time plays much of a role in his value. 

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

For crying out loud. He’s been struggling mightily in his last handful of starts. Nit pick the era but trying to pretend it’s an exaggeration just makes you look like a fool.

So genius…What was his ERA over his last 4 starts? More than 5 runs per game right?  This was stupid move by Elias and Hyde for buying in. The poor decision cost us a chance to win today. 

Hindsight is 20/20.  Lets see how his career goes from here before we make any final evaluations.

3 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I said I thought you could make an argument for Adley in 2021. But the counter is he only played 43 games in AAA by the end of 2021. Elias has definitely been slow to promote top guys, but it’s disengenuous to assume it’s only because of service time manipulation. 

GrayRod had 11 AAA starts. He was clearly about to get promoted. And then had an unfortunate injury. You can disagree about how Elias promotes guys, but this wasn’t a service time thing. 

Same thing with Mountcastle. 

If they wanted to manipulate time, why not keep Hall down until May? Or till September and preserve rookie status? Seems an unlikely time to promote him. Unless service time isn’t the concern. 

And they are sending Hall back down.

We'll see how much service time he ends up with.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Hall is an up and down guy while he's option-able.  Could take a while to earn enough service time to reach free agency.

57 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He "didn't miss bats."

Checks notes......

6 Ks in 3+ innings.

Missed 7 bats..below average swingstr% of just under 15%.  This is a guy that had a 40% whiff% on each of his pitches in the minors last year.

His stuff wasn’t impressive today and the stats and his pro career back that up.  It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have impressive stuff but he rarely got into the upper 90s and even Big Ben said he was expecting to see 100 today.  He was more 96 for most of the day. 

41 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

In no way was it the wrong decision.  That’s an absurd thought.  

I'm starting to wonder if he was becoming unteachable and angsty about not being called up. Speculation only and he seems to be well liked. But, I'm sure he has been in the minors much longer than he wanted. He probably thought he earned a call up in the middle of that hot stretch after the tipping pitches comment. The Elias phone call, the obscure call-up, a B line-up debut without your favorite catcher catching you. "Alright, show us what you can do." That's a reality check. A teachable moment. "Trust us." As someone that's managed employees for awhile, I think all of this is very calculated.

I hope he comes out of the pen dominant thru the stretch. He's got loads of talent, no doubt about it.