The next 9 games are going to be a challenge

Moshagge3

54 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Seattle's schedule is a joke.  They should go at least 7-2 the next 9 games.  There fans should start an investigation if they don't make the playoffs.

See, it doesn’t really work this way.   Good teams don’t beat bad teams 78% of the time on a regular basis.   That’s not to say they never do, but it shouldn’t be expected.  

• 2 weeks later...

O's will be at worst 5-4 after this difficult stretch.  I would have taken that in a heartbeat if offered.  I feared this stretch may be the death blow for the playoff hopes.  At worse they'll be 3GB, still very much in it.

Still, let's get greedy and win today.  A 6-3 stretch would be truly impressive.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

O's will be at worst 5-4 after this difficult stretch.  I would have taken that in a heartbeat if offered.  I feared this stretch may be the death blow for the playoff hopes.  At worse they'll be 3GB, still very much in it.

Still, let's get greedy and win today.  A 6-3 stretch would be truly impressive.

3GB after being one of the best AL teams for the last 3-4 months. April matters folks.  It’s why getting these guys up as soon as possible and having them on the OD roster next year is important.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

3GB after being one of the best AL teams for the last 3-4 months. April matters folks.  It’s why getting these guys up as soon as possible and having them on the OD roster next year is important.

Next year it will be interesting to see how they dose Rodriguez and Hall.    Neither will have the 2022 platform to shoulder 32 * 5 innings in 2023.

September 2023 could be somewhat like September 2022.    I'm really curious to see what the pitching looks like once Tyler Wells is back in the mix with Hall, and all of the bulk guys doing fine.

For as long as we stay in, I only expect shorter stints from more bullpen guys to increase.    Obviously the Monday doubleheader we will need length through then, but in the stretch after with off days on 9/8, 9/12 and 9/15 I look for postseason ruthlessness in pitching deployment.     3 off days in an 8-day window feels extreme.

I believe after Toronto we won't "need" a 5th starter until Tuesday 9/20 at home against the Tigers.    Grayson?

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Next year it will be interesting to see how they dose Rodriguez and Hall.    Neither will have the 2022 platform to shoulder 32 * 5 innings in 2023.

September 2023 could be somewhat like September 2022.    I'm really curious to see what the pitching looks like once Tyler Wells is back in the mix with Hall, and all of the bulk guys doing fine.

For as long as we stay in, I only expect shorter stints from more bullpen guys to increase.    Obviously the Monday doubleheader we will need length through then, but in the stretch after with off days on 9/8, 9/12 and 9/15 I look for postseason ruthlessness in pitching deployment.     3 off days in an 8-day window feels extreme.

I believe after Toronto we won't "need" a 5th starter until Tuesday 9/20 at home against the Tigers.    Grayson?

Grayson and Hall should be able to go 150ish innings next year.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Let’s finish this strong and go 6-3. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Yep.   I’ll feel good about the last 9 games no matter how today turns out, but at the same time, the season is getting shorter and we need to win a lot down the stretch to make the playoffs.   Beating Bieber would be pretty huge.  

One thing I'm a bit worried about personnel-wise is the fact that Hyde has never managed a team fighting to be in the postseason. In the interviews it's clear he's awed and grateful for the way his team has performed way above expectation. But he's now also got to show he's in cool command during the coming dogfights and keep his similarly inexperienced players on-track. We've seen lapses in base-running, strike zone judgement, and defense increase a bit--even during yesterday's win--and I think managing a team whose merits are now going to lie solely on how it punches in the ring as an equal against fellow contenders rather than on surprising all the pundits is a different gear. He has to handle smoothly and authoritatively the transition as well from luck and surprise with popular mediocre (Odor, Watkins, much of the bullpen, etc.) or since-dispatched team leaders (Mancini, Lopez) to a team that incorporates fresh, more talented, but yet unproven ones like Stowers, Vavra, and Henderson--and maybe Aguilar, Hall and Grayson in the next week or two. Bradish is back and maybe Wells and/or Harvey soon too. Hays and Mountcastle have to handle being pushed down in the lineup or spotlight.

The switch from reaching .500 during the long slog to actual contention in the final rounds will be a great personal challenge and if Hyde aces it, i.e. gets us into the postseason no matter how short our run turns out there, he's got to be Manager of the Year.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

Well, the Orioles defied my expectations and went 6-3. Remarkable achievement, aided by an Adam Engel error. Seattle and Tampa Bay went 7-2 over the same stretch so the O's lost a game on each, but they gained on Toronto, who went 5-4 thanks to an unlikely sweep by the Angels.

• Upvote 2

I assume Seattle has 1 spot. we need to finish ahead of one of the 2 ahead of us. Since we are 2 behind Tor and have 10 remaining with them our fate is in our own hands. The next 12 games include 4 with Tor and 8 games with Oakland, Bos, and Was. We are playing better than all of them and should win the majority in this stretch. If we go 8 and 4 we would likely be in the last WC spot. Then we have a 20 game sprint against the East and Houston, but NY and Hou "could" be coasting and setting up for the playoffs. The way this team has responded to every challenge this season is remarkable. I'm 73 and have been a fan since early 1960s when they got good. Until this year 1982 was my favorite year running down the Blue Crew on the last day. If we could drop Blue Jays on the last day it would be magical. Hang on for the ride

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Well, the Orioles defied my expectations and went 6-3. Remarkable achievement, aided by an Adam Engel error. Seattle and Tampa Bay went 7-2 over the same stretch so the O's lost a game on each, but they gained on Toronto, who went 5-4 thanks to an unlikely sweep by the Angels.

Completely remarkable.  And now 17 of our next 22 at home.  This is where we have to do it.  I think we need to be be solidly in a wildcard position coming out of this stretch.  Let’s do a 15-7 or something even better.  That should put us in a good position.

The next 18 games are the opportunity.  If the team is going to make the playoffs, it almost surely has to happen in the next 18 games(and not be lost in the remaining ones).  You have 9 games against absolute bottom teams, and then a bunch of games against the Blue Jays.  At a minimum you need a 12-6 run, but its really an opportunity for something ridiculous like 14-4 if you are going to make it.