Orioles Adley problem

seak05

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Overuse could shorten his career.  I would rather they maximize Adley's production by finding how to keep him fresh through the season.

Fine, but a 110 game pace is not overuse.  Seven catchers exceeded that in 2021.  

Over the last couple of decades, there’s been a bit of a trend to rest catchers more    Here’s a comparison of the number of catchers over 110 starts, and the high, in every year ending in “2” from 1982 to now.  

1982: 12, 151

1992: 10, 137

2002: 12, 140

2012: 9, 136

This year there are 5-7 guys who will exceed 110 starts and the max is projected at 131.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fine, but a 110 game pace is not overuse.  Seven catchers exceeded that in 2021.  

Over the last couple of decades, there’s been a bit of a trend to rest catchers more    Here’s a comparison of the number of catchers over 110 starts, and the high, in every year ending in “2” from 1982 to now.  

This year there are 5-7 guys who will exceed 110 starts and the max is projected at 131.

Wow, who caught 151 games?!

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

The essential Oriole template, like Brooks and Cal and Machado.     Seasons like '66 F. Robinson and '13 Davis have I feel been relatively rare in franchise history relative to how many Hall of Fame and Hall of Very Good guys the Orioles have enjoyed.

I don't know.  Maybe it's my perception.   Those guys were more aggressive hitters.   I just feel when I'm watching Rutschman that he's great at not expanding his zone but he's not a great bat to ball guy within the zone.   When he gets ahead 2-1, 3-1, I'm not confident he's going to pulverize a fastball in the zone.   I guess he was during that one hot streak but otherwise not so much.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know.  Maybe it's my perception.   Those guys were more aggressive hitters.   I just feel when I'm watching Rutschman that he's great at not expanding his zone but he's not a great bat to ball guy within the zone.   When he gets ahead 2-1, 3-1, I'm not confident he's going to pulverize a fastball in the zone.   I guess he was during that one hot streak but otherwise not so much.

That’s fair enough, but let’s not forget he’s a rookie.  Here’s what Hyde said yesterday: 

“[T]he at-bats are so competitive. The lack of chase. He hasn’t even, for me, tapped into the kind of … He’s going to be a really good hitter just because he understands the strike zone, and when he starts piling up at-bats, it’s going to be pretty scary how good he’s going to be.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/hyde-on-henderson

In other words, once he’s seen enough major league pitches, he’s going to hit them with authority more than he does now.  And I think that’s probably right.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was not responding to 110 games.  I was responding to using Adley like Molina.   You would see that if you read the post i was responding to.

4 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

This seems more like a Chrinos/backup catcher problem. They need to get a backup catcher who can hit next year. If you want to keep Adley in the lineup then do what the Giants did with Posey and play him at 1B 30-40 games a year

If this is how the O’s see it, it doesn’t bode well for Maverick Handley’s prospects.

I agree "the problem" isn't with Adley per se; it's with the catcher position, which has to be split almost 1/3 of the games with another guy. Impossible to fill those shoes  with an equal talent of offense+defense. So we're left choosing between the Severinos and Chorinos of the world for 50 games a season. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was not responding to 110 games.  I was responding to using Adley like Molina.   You would see that if you read the post i was responding to.

Yadi has 6 seasons over 130. Most of his seasons falling in between 110-125. Using Adley in that range is not overusing him at all. 110 games as a catcher would put him just in the top 10 in the league on an average year, as to 10 years ago that number would have to be 125+. I fully believe AR can handle the 110-125 starts without concern of wearing him down, especially if hyde doesn't give him day after nights like he ahs been

3 hours ago, seak05 said:

I agree with this. I wonder if his elite pitch recognition hurts him ie he identifies it early as a breaking ball, and decides to take it assuming it will break...and it's a bad pitch, so it doesn't and turns into a hittable one

I think his elite pitch recognition also hurts him occasionally when he is better at recognizing a pitch as a ball than the ump is, and he takes it for a called strike.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think his elite pitch recognition also hurts him occasionally when he is better at recognizing a pitch as a ball than the ump is, and he takes it for a called strike.

Part of elite pitch recognition is realizing that while a pitch might be called a strike, it is not a pitch you could drive and you are better off not swinging at it as it is unlikely to result in solid contact.

• Upvote 1