What will the Orioles’ payroll be in 2023?

Frobby

What will the O’s 2023 payroll be?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will the O’s 2023 payroll be?

• Under $40 mm
    • $40 - 59.9 mm
    • $60 - 79.9 mm
    • $80 - 99.9 mm
    • $100 - $120 mm
    • Over $120 mm

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 19:00

Elias said two bats and one pitcher.   That was before Lyles was not picked up so I'm guessing maybe two pitchers now?

2 pitchers is going to be $30M if he goes for second tier guys.  One of those could be a trade for someone like Lopez for cheaper.

I figure that two bats are going to be at least one main FA for about 15M per year.

I'm thinking the payroll is going to increase by a minimum of $30M for the 2023 season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I actually think the O’s will spend a good bit of dough.  I voted $80 - 99.9 mm and I won’t be surprised if it’s in the high end of that range.  

It's very hard to sign 3-5 $15, 20, 25M players in one offseason.  There are 29 other teams trying to sign the same guys.

What's supportable in the budget and what's achievable in four months can be very different things.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's very hard to sign 3-5 $15, 20, 25M players in one offseason.  There are 29 other teams trying to sign the same guys.

What's supportable in the budget and what's achievable in four months can be very different things.

I don’t think they need to sign that many in that range to reach $80 - 100 mm.  Two fairly big contracts and a couple of smaller deals would do the trick.   But I’m just spitballing and we’ll see what actually happens.  

Its a fun month to watch Elias stretch his legs.    Everybody feels the Winner's Curse to some extent or another unless their Club abdicates competing for winning MLB players.

Any pitcher Senga or above would be a Tejada-level win.    Any pitcher from Bassitt to Manaea is my best guess for where some Cobb-Ubaldo type win will be scored.     I'll accept Spenser Watkins pitching if Carlos Correa is on the team.

As Tyler Anderson and soon some of the others in that tier start to sign, adapting to the market will be key.   I'm sure OMAR thinks X, and Elias has briefed Angelos about that.    But its a new year, labor's settled, salary cap is higher - time to play.

As a fandom we've been out of this game 5 years, Elias has been waiting his whole life to get in...let's go!

New payroll wise - my expectation is one ~$15mm guy is landed, my hope is two are.     Any superstar before Christmas and everything else is gravy.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You may not like it and I don’t even disagree with you BUT the Os (especially this ownership) most definitely uses it.

Well, it really has to be counted, either when the player is playing or when the money gets paid.  You can’t ignore it altogether.   But let’s remember that under the CBA, a lot of this money is already sitting in escrow anyway as required by their deferred comp rules.  Certainly the O’Day money is, and maybe some of the Davis and Cobb money, depending on when it was earned.   

30 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

> 80 but < 100.  Step One. If not, it's Confederate Money Time again.

Or if Elias is told he can spend reasonably, but you just don't end up with all the guys you want.  It's not Confederate Money if you put a good offer on the table but the guy would rather take the Dodgers, Southern California, and just as much or more cash.

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or Elias isn't given any money to spend.

Which do you think is more likely?

Hesitate to even respond to this because this question is so you. I don't believe Elias is a lier and I THINK 80 to 100 could well be the range for year one unless as DH indicates he is constatntly outbid by deeper pockets or sweeter venues.