Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pre age 30, Bassitt looks to have missed a lot of time, including the entire 2017 season.   In fact, he looks like a pitcher who couldn’t stay healthy until he hit the age of 30.  In fact, after appearing in 18 games and 13 good starts in 2015.  He never started more than 7 games over the next three seasons.  He looks pretty durable since 2019 but last year was, by far, his high in IP.  

Hey, Bassitt is good, safer and cheaper than Rodon BUT Rodon is a genuine ACE.

Your last sentence says it all and that is the only reason a discussion should be occurring.

I think it also depends on where ownership will take the payroll and if something happens to Rodón, how do they react?  So they crawl into a hole like they did with the Davis contract?  Or do they just push it aside and do what’s needed to win?

31 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He appears to have the chronic injury of being chronically injured.

Prior to his 31 starts last year, which btw wasn't even a full 32 starts, his career high was 28 starts all the way back in 2016, and prior to his back to back contract years in 2021 and 2022, he posted a cumulative 4.14 ERA/100 ERA+ across 6 seasons. That's a pretty large sample size, and not one that screams "good massive long-term investment for small-mid market team." 

He's the most unappealing option of the top 10-12 free agent SPs for the Orioles, IMO. 

As I pointed out here, there’s very few pitchers who have any track record of reliability.   There’s only 19 pitchers in all of MLB who threw 162+ innings in both 2021 and 2022.  Of those, only one is a free agent - Jordan Lyles.  So really it’s just something we have to live with.  

If you look at the IP leaders over the last 5 years, among free agents the leaders are:  

Greinke 791

deGrom 645

Lyles 645

Verlander 618

Keuchel 603

Bassitt 593

Roy Halladay ain’t walking through that door.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Your last sentence says it all and that is the only reason a discussion should be occurring.

I think it also depends on where ownership will take the payroll and if something happens to Rodón, how do they react?  So they crawl into a hole like they did with the Davis contract?  Or do they just push it aside and do what’s needed to win?

It isn’t like the payroll is at 100 and we have no margin for error.  If ever there was a time to take this type of risk this is it.   There is no way a worst case scenario on Rodon, on its own, can cripple this franchise.

Just now, Frobby said:

As I pointed out here, there’s very few pitchers who have any track record of reliability.   There’s only 19 pitchers in all of MLB who threw 162+ innings in both 2021 and 2022.  Of those, only one is a free agent - Jordan Lyles.  So really it’s just something we have to live with.  

If you look at the IP leaders over the last 5 years, among free agents the leaders are:  

Greinke 791

deGrom 645

Lyles 645

Verlander 618

Keuchel 603

Bassitt 593

Absolutely, but some are riskier than others, and Rodon at $25-30 million per year for 5 or 6 years is about as risky as it gets considering his long track record of throwing arm issues.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It isn’t like the payroll is at 100 and we have no margin for error.  If ever there was a time to take this type of risk this is it.   There is no way a worst case scenario on Rodon, on its own, can cripple this franchise.

Oh I agree there.

The problem is, I don’t think ownership does.

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Greinke 791

deGrom 645

Lyles 645

Verlander 618

Keuchel 603

Bassitt 593

"They all break."  It's just a question of when.  

Edited by BRobinsonfan

To improve the rotation the Orioles are going to have to take a risk. That risk will include money, prospects or both. 

There simply isn’t an option that is a guaranteed upgrade. Pitchers have tremendous risk. Hopefully the budget allows for this and the Orioles can simply Chase talent. 

I have no idea where they land. But for me it’s hard to believe that getting at least one pitcher with much more talent than Lyles isn’t possible. Of course any of the names above can break. That’s simply part of the risk. Get the best you can afford and there has rarely been a better time to make this leap. 

• 3 weeks later...

These two guys are still out there.  

Bassitt reportedly is looking for a 4 year deal.   Maybe we bridge the gap by offering him a vested option for a 4th year.   How’s this: 3/$57 mm plus an option at $19 mm that vests at 150 IP and has a $3 mm buyout.

For Eovaldi, maybe 3/$55 mm?

Both those deals are pretty risky.   I wouldn’t go higher.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bassitt reportedly is looking for a 4 year deal.   Maybe we bridge the gap by offering him a vested option for a 4th year.   How’s this: 3/$57 mm plus an option at $19 mm that vests at 150 IP and has a $3 mm buyout.

The first deal for both seems reasonable, but I'd probably make it total IP over the 3 seasons, say 450IP in 3 years and it vests. 

I'm still taking both if I can get both.  Sort out the too many pitcher problem later, because you'll likely have to manage innings and have injuries.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You also still have the Dodgers,Twins,Jays and Yankees still looking for starting pitching, just  to name a few of the bigger spending clubs.Also have the Red Sox and Astros also might jump in.Not sure the Orioles will beat any of those teams offers.

Edited by Going Underground

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Definitely seems like neither player is getting 4 or more years or else it would have happened already imo.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

You also still have the Dodgers,Twins,Jays and Yankees still looking for starting pitching, just  to name a few of the bigger spending clubs.Also have the Red Sox and Astros also might jump in.Not sure the Orioles will beat any of those teams offers.

Sure. Market still in play. 

Not trying to speak for all but if at the end of the day Elias gets one of those two plus a Conforto I think many people would be pleased. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Definitely seems like neither player is getting 4 or more years or else it would have happened already imo.

Respectfully disagree. I think once Rodon the teams that lost out on him will all go into panic mode and target Bassitt. I mean even Tajuan Walker was able to get a four year deal god's sake. 

12 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Respectfully disagree. I think once Rodon the teams that lost out on him will all go into panic mode and target Bassitt. I mean even Tajuan Walker was able to get a four year deal god's sake. 

Walker is like 3 or 4 years younger though.

We’ll see.  Certainly possible Bassitt gets 4 years but I think it’s growing increasingly unlikely…unless he’s getting far less AAV if he gets 4 years.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Walker is like 3 or 4 years younger though.

We’ll see.  Certainly possible Bassitt gets 4 years but I think it’s growing increasingly unlikely…unless he’s getting far less AAV if he gets 4 years.

Walker got four years and is 30 years old with 898 innings pitched.

Eovaldi will be 33 with 1257 innings pitched.

Bassitt will be 34 with only 737 innings pitched. His arm is fresher and I believe he will age well.

Would Bassitt turn down a 4yr 80 million dollar from us? Maybe 23,22,18, and 17 million as the payouts. He has been productive wherever he has pitched. He has a 46-34 career record while Eovaldi is 67-68 while playing with Yanks and Red Sox.