Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

35 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Unless I am wrong that was prior to the incident and subsequent suspension, the LA Times piece and others paint a very different scenario-that "he was not wanted in the clubhouse under any circumstances".   Now IMO some of that is to be expected from media conscious teammates but the below link written in 2019 (The Most Hated Man is Baseball) points to issues with teammates and others especially management. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/21/why-on-earth-is-climate-skeptic-twitter-troll-trevor-bauer-mlb-most-hated-man

I'm not familiar with the LA Times piece, but stuff like what's in this Guardian article, combined with everything that's happened since then, would make it hard for me to truly root for Bauer if he were an Oriole. And I'd expect some others to feel much more strongly about it than me. The arbitrator's decision is relevant here, and also his questionable history before that incident isn't going to convince fans that he's innocent there. The perception matters.

The team would lose fans, and I'm sure the rest of the team would have to take media questions about it. It would be a huge distraction, and I don't think that is worth it unless it's the kind of thing where you're going to be on the right side of history 20 years later, which definitely isn't the nature of this case.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Unless I am wrong that was prior to the incident and subsequent suspension, the LA Times piece and others paint a very different scenario-that "he was not wanted in the clubhouse under any circumstances".   Now IMO some of that is to be expected from media conscious teammates but the below link written in 2019 (The Most Hated Man is Baseball) points to issues with teammates and others especially management.  I find the attack on the fan that criticized him troubling.  I do think it quite ironic that someone that reveled in social media ends up being pillorized by it.  Wonder what would have happened if social media existed in the days of Ruth, Cobb, Shoeless Joe, even Durocher or Rose??

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/21/why-on-earth-is-climate-skeptic-twitter-troll-trevor-bauer-mlb-most-hated-man

I'm sure like anyone, there are people that like him, and people that don't. I don't know him so I'm not making any judgements on the guy. All I know is if the money is right, and Hyde doesn't think he'll upset the clubhouse, I'd be fine with him in the rotation.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

Dude is washed. Pass.

If you mean, washed up as a player, how could you possibly know that?  He was worth 3.0 rWAR in half a season in 2021, before his suspension.  Put it this way, if not for the baggage, every team in MLB would be glad to have him for the major league minimum.

35 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

The team would lose fans, and I'm sure the rest of the team would have to take media questions about it. It would be a huge distraction, and I don't think that is worth it unless it's the kind of thing where you're going to be on the right side of history 20 years later, which definitely isn't the nature of this case.

Personally, I think this is hyperbole. Are there some very fragile fans out there that would stop being a fan of the Orioles because of Bauer, perhaps, but I doubt its in any numbers that would matter. 

At the end of day, 99% of the fan base just wants the team to win. 

Now all things being equal, I agree with you that any headache is not worth it if we can find the same quality without any headaches. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, banks703 said:

Clearly. Great job deciphering this. 🙄

The truth is that I threw out an idea to trade for the guy and you soapboxed your way into accusing me of supporting an abuser of women, which, neither are factually true yet you, for some reason, continue to try to dog me out for it. 

I never made it about the dude’s innocence. I’ve never claimed to think one way or the other, other than what the evidence has shown to be proven in court. And I’ve only kept repeating it for those, like you, who take two minutes to google Trevor Bauer, that none of us actually know what happened. Despite that, you seem to completely ignore the facts when they are presented as a counter to your arguments.

I simply state facts that are deliberately omitted in your attempt to misrepresent the situation, which you have done here, again, in another thread that wasn't even started by me. So, who is hijacking the thread, friend?

You immediately took the position that the guy is a scumbag and attacked me for an idea to acquire him. That is also a fact. So, please, spare us with your bullshit of trying to make it about me. It’s tired. 

The below was literally your first post in the the other thread about Bauer word for word. 50% of what you wrote was about Trevor Bauer's actions and why we all should ignore them.  And you've continued to steer the conversation down this path over and over again. This is completely irrelevant and inappropriate discourse for an Orioles message board. You and your advocate @owknows can continue to downvote me all you want, but to try claim you never tried to make it about his innocence is just a bold faced lie. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll preface this post by asking you to read the entire post before passing judgement or commenting. 

May and Bauer for Mullins with the Dodgers eating all of Bauer's money. They're going to cut him anyway. 

Bauer has not been convicted (that I am aware but please do correct me if he has been convicted) of a crime and I realize the potential PR hit by employing a person who some perceive as a sexual deviant but if you want to win and you can strike a deal that makes your club noticeably/appreciably better... it could be a deal like this. Bauer, May, GrayRod, Gibson, Bradish, Kremer, Wells and eventually Means give you eight guys that you can run out there and interchange in an opener/starter/piggyback role. 

Imagine a September rotation that includes Bauer, Means, GrayRod, May and Gibson. I mean, seriously.. A trade like that could move the Orioles rotation from impoverished to one of the best in all of baseball. 

I know that it might be an unpopular opinion but I don't think that any of us should form an opinion of someone and what they do behind closed doors. Two consenting adults should be allowed to conduct themselves in private however they choose. Bauer being a high profile athlete, should probably be smarter in his private life than what he has demonstrated but I personally feel that he is entitled to be whoever he wants to be and do whatever he wants to do so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others to do the same for themselves. If he has crossed that line from frowned upon sexual activity to legitimate assault then I don't think there is a place for him in such a public role (not just with the O's but in his profession/celebrity in general). As far as I have read he has done nothing illegal or that wasn't agreed upon by the women with whom he engaged in the activities. To me, the notes read like they agreed to a thing, he might have gotten caught up in the moment during said activities and/or due to his profile, he is being chastised. If that's the truth, personally I do not think that is fair. 

Again, if it is more than sexual deviance and he legitimately hurt an unwilling participant then he should never be allowed back in the public eye. There is no place for domestic violence in any form or setting. 

The Dodgers won't do that deal though. I would. I would pack Mullins's bags and drive him to the airport myself. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Personally, I think this is hyperbole. Are there some very fragile fans out there that would stop being a fan of the Orioles because of Bauer, perhaps, but I doubt its in any numbers that would matter. 

Now all things being equal, I agree with you that any headache is not worth it if we can find the same quality without any headaches. 

This is precisely where I find myself. My personal opinion of the incidents aside, if there is something that the org can’t reconcile or feel would be a detriment, then don’t pursue him. He is going to be available in some way or another and could represent that unconventional avenue to player acquisition, that has been hinted at during this off-season. If he is released, he is going to cost league minimum to the Orioles. You’re simply not going to acquire the potential upgrade to your team, at that cost, in any other way. 

It is a unique situation for Bauer, the Dodgers and the acquiring team. He is rumored to be cut loose but I have to think that LAD will seek a partner to either take on money (remember they are literally right below the CBT with him on the books and have been adamant about avoiding the tax this off-season) or exchange additional assets to make the best deal for their organization. As stated many times over, on paper they are an ideal trade partner for the O’s given their surplus of major league starters. 

And again, should new information come to light that justifies further reprimand, then he should be subject to it. Until that time, he represents a potential upgrade to a rotation that has been (perhaps not desperately) in need of one. 

7 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The below was literally your first post in the the other thread about Bauer word for word. 50% of what you wrote was about Trevor Bauer's actions and why we all should ignore them.  And you've continued to steer the conversation down this path over and over again. This is completely irrelevant and inappropriate discourse for an Orioles message board. You and your advocate @owknows can continue to downvote me all you want, but to try claim you never tried to make it about his innocence is just a bold faced lie. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll preface this post by asking you to read the entire post before passing judgement or commenting. 

May and Bauer for Mullins with the Dodgers eating all of Bauer's money. They're going to cut him anyway. 

Bauer has not been convicted (that I am aware but please do correct me if he has been convicted) of a crime and I realize the potential PR hit by employing a person who some perceive as a sexual deviant but if you want to win and you can strike a deal that makes your club noticeably/appreciably better... it could be a deal like this. Bauer, May, GrayRod, Gibson, Bradish, Kremer, Wells and eventually Means give you eight guys that you can run out there and interchange in an opener/starter/piggyback role. 

Imagine a September rotation that includes Bauer, Means, GrayRod, May and Gibson. I mean, seriously.. A trade like that could move the Orioles rotation from impoverished to one of the best in all of baseball. 

I know that it might be an unpopular opinion but I don't think that any of us should form an opinion of someone and what they do behind closed doors. Two consenting adults should be allowed to conduct themselves in private however they choose. Bauer being a high profile athlete, should probably be smarter in his private life than what he has demonstrated but I personally feel that he is entitled to be whoever he wants to be and do whatever he wants to do so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others to do the same for themselves. If he has crossed that line from frowned upon sexual activity to legitimate assault then I don't think there is a place for him in such a public role (not just with the O's but in his profession/celebrity in general). As far as I have read he has done nothing illegal or that wasn't agreed upon by the women with whom he engaged in the activities. To me, the notes read like they agreed to a thing, he might have gotten caught up in the moment during said activities and/or due to his profile, he is being chastised. If that's the truth, personally I do not think that is fair. 

Again, if it is more than sexual deviance and he legitimately hurt an unwilling participant then he should never be allowed back in the public eye. There is no place for domestic violence in any form or setting. 

The Dodgers won't do that deal though. I would. I would pack Mullins's bags and drive him to the airport myself. 

There’s no sense in arguing with someone who doesn’t have the capacity to distinguish between fact and feeling.

I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with you in real life. It must be frigging exhausting. 

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not saying it's more than 1%. But some casual fans might not attend a game when maybe they otherwise would have. Enough that the media will talk about it. I mean, if it weren't a problem, why wouldn't the Dodgers just keep him?

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is "fragile fans' what we're calling people we disagree with these days? I thought it was snowflakes? I can't keep up with the jargon.

So Trevor Bauer's a great clubhouse guy? Interesting. After reading this article it sounds like his teammates view him as an unnecessary distraction. 

https://www.truebluela.com/2021/7/26/22593021/trevor-bauer-dodgers-teammates-anonymously-distancing

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Is "fragile fans' what we're calling people we disagree with these days? I thought it was snowflakes? I can't keep up with the jargon.

So Trevor Bauer's a great clubhouse guy? Interesting. After reading this article it sounds like his teammates view him as an unnecessary distraction. 

https://www.truebluela.com/2021/7/26/22593021/trevor-bauer-dodgers-teammates-anonymously-distancing

This is, again, AFTER the incidents that lead to his suspension but please continue to deliberately ignore any facts that don’t support your position. FFS, man. Give it a rest. 

If your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills could use some sharpening, I offer tutoring. For you, free of charge. 

Edited by banks703
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Now you are being ridiculous. Yes, if people will walk away from being a fan of the Orioles over them signing a player, they were either never a very big fan to start off with, or are the kind of person that can find outrage in everything.

I've been about as even keeled as I can be in this conversation and so have most people from what I've seen. I've really only see one person ready to melt down over any different take on this situation and that's you. 

Maybe you should just ignore this thread because when you start getting up and arms over the word fragile, then this board might not be the best fit for you. See, here we don't play those games. If I feel like we have ourselves a problem with someone who can't play well with others, I will remove said problem.

I don't even have a strong opinion on Bauer one way or the other, but I do have a very strong opinion on people I sense are going to be problems, and finding outrage over the word fragile, when it was being placed in the most generic of sense and not even directed at anyone on this board, is concerning to me. 

I suggest taking a break for a bit or just ignore this thread since it's upsetting you.

• Upvote 1