Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Where are the everyday at bats for him coming from? This is a 26th man move. 

You want a backup 1B/DH to be the 26th man? Does that roster position no matter? Did I miss where where the Orioles are so set with so much talent that they can just stash a bad left-handed hitting DH/1B on the roster just because? 

They paid Odor major league minimum and started him everyday. What makes you think this isn't your DH against right-handed pitching?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Struggling to understand why anyone thinks he will be on the 26 man roster. They're paying him to take a look at what he can do in Norfolk based on his previous status as a prospect with big power, etc.

Even veteran posters like yourself are letting this off-season get to you. Nothing about this move suggests he is going to play any kind of major role on the big league squad. He's just a depth guy. He even has an option! Not sure what all the fuss is about. Who cares if he makes twice the minimum? That's still an extremely paltry amount.

Sure man, sure. You keep the faith. I'm done talking sense to you guys. You guys are too far now. Enjoy the site.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

You want a backup 1B/DH to be the 26th man? Does that roster position no matter? Did I miss where where the Orioles are so set with so much talent that they can just stash a bad left-handed hitting DH/1B on the roster just because? 

They paid Odor major league minimum and started him everyday. What makes you think this isn't your DH against right-handed pitching?

Who is most teams 26th man? Utility guy? All teams have someone who can backup at 1B. Last year the main DH in Mancini could handle that. 

The team does not currently require a standard utility player. One advantage to this roster. 

I’m sure he will play against RH pitching. How much will be up to how well he plays. I can’t see them running Santander full time into the OF vs RHP just to get O’Hearn at bats. Adley will DH some and Santander. 

As the off season has gone along it’s obvious Elias is trying to improve the bats with depth moves to create better matchups and a stronger bench. I’ll make the point again. Any major addition to the lineup would necessitate a trade of an existing starter in the lineup. 

With the depth of the team and the potential call ups in the minors like Cowser and Westburg these guys will have to produce to keep playing. 

Well, we have the Sam Houston State connection between O'Hearn and Cowser and O'Hearn rated better sprint speed than Adam Frazier so there's that!   lol

Elias is attempting to get the majority of the Hangout to have a nervous breakdown and it's working.   

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Getz said:

Tought you were spanish because of the avatar and username.

I lived in Valencia ,Spain from 2001-2005 re: avatar.   My dads grandfather moved to Hells Kitchen from Durrow, Ireland in 1921.   Emmett(my middle name) is a family name that’s been passed down through the generations.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

What is WOBACON and where can I get a pound?

Essentially the only stat all the performance improvement organizations care about.  Hit ball as hard as possible and often as possible and good things happen.  1. Make good decision 2. Make good swing(smash factor) 3. hit the ball hard  - all wrapped up into one stat.  

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ironically, he’s cheaper than O’Hearn, since the Red Sox/Padres are on the hook for his salary for a couple more years.  And, he’s significantly better than O’Hearn, even if he’s grossly overpaid by those teams.   I didn’t want him, but I’d rather have him than O’Hearn.  

Are we sure that Hosmer is cheaper?  If he was cut by the Red Sox, they owe him that money regardless of where he signs.  Doesn't Hosmer also get paid whatever he negotiates from his new team, regardless of what the Red Sox and Padres still owe him?  Can't he still try to get $5M or so more from another team that's willing to pay it?  Or, am I totally misunderstanding how a new deal with a new team would work??  Serious question.....

Edited by Sanity Check
clarity

To me, this puts to rest the idea that Westburg was going to learn 1B and get 4 starts a week around the IF. 

At this point it's not worth arguing about the need for O'Hearn or Frazier, but more about what does this mean for the MiL guys that I thought were going to get a legitimate shot in '23? Besides, they could have kept Nevin on the roster as a backup 1B for the minimum over paying O'Hearn 1.4.

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Essentially the only stat all the performance improvement organizations care about.  Hit ball as hard as possible and often as possible and good things happen.  1. Make good decision 2. Make good swing(smash factor) 3. hit the ball hard  - all wrapped up into one stat.  

And yet, Frazier.

• Haha 1