Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Are we sure that Hosmer is cheaper?  If he was cut by the Red Sox, they owe him that money regardless of where he signs.  Doesn't Hosmer also get paid whatever he negotiates from his new team, regardless of what the Red Sox owe him?  Can't he still try to get $5M or so more from another team that's willing to pay it?  Or, am I totally misunderstanding how a new deal with a new team would work??  Serious question.....

Typically when someone is getting paid to leave town they don't usually have a bidding war for their services elsewhere. At best, they have a couple of teams that want to pick them up and they can at least pick a better circumstance over another.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, we have the Sam Houston State connection between O'Hearn and Cowser and O'Hearn rated better sprint speed than Adam Frazier so there's that!   lol

Elias is attempting to get the majority of the Hangout to have a nervous breakdown and it's working.   

Elias is attempting to improve the lineup from the outside while trading no existing position players who are starters. The only way to do is that is the type of moves he has made. Creating better organizational depth and versatility defensively and offensively. 

Now, that certainly does not mean the individual players he has added will all work out. That said I get the line of thinking. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Essentially the only stat all the performance improvement organizations care about.  Hit ball as hard as possible and often as possible and good things happen.  1. Make good decision 2. Make good swing(smash factor) 3. hit the ball hard  - all wrapped up into one stat.  

The -CON suffix gives a free pass on strikeouts though, something the evolved Astros and Mike Elias' Adam Frazier-lovin Orioles seem not to do.     Its hard to tell what they really care about at the MLB level as they've generally not cared all of 2019-2022.

One of the differences between O'Hearn and Hosmer might be the Goldilocks zone of critiquing Mountcastle without burying him on the depth chart (that might still be coming).

Was Crash Davis any good his 21 days in the Show?

I'd like to see Mountcastle and Gunnar play 160 games, but I think the Decision Science of Rest isn't gonna be having it.    We probably won't get Opening Day Cowser, but whenever he enters the mix all these Jim Traber scrubs vanish.     I suppose with existing personnel one of Stowers or Santander would need to do the backup 1B stuff.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Elias is attempting to improve the lineup from the outside while trading no existing position players who are starters. The only way to do is that is the type of moves he has made. Creating better organizational depth and versatility defensively and offensively. 

Now, that certainly does not mean the individual players he has added will all work out. That said I get the line of thinking. 

I guess.    

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Organization depth? The only thing deep about Ryan O'Hearn are the holes he's dug himself into on the way to that career .219 batting average. This is a move defined and motivated by utter cheapness. Let's just call a spade a spade. 

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The -CON suffix gives a free pass on strikeouts though, something the evolved Astros and Mike Elias' Adam Frazier-lovin Orioles seem not to do.     Its hard to tell what they really care about at the MLB level as they've generally not cared all of 2019-2022.

One of the differences between O'Hearn and Hosmer might be the Goldilocks zone of critiquing Mountcastle without burying him on the depth chart (that might still be coming).

Was Crash Davis any good his 21 days in the Show?

I'd like to see Mountcastle and Gunnar play 160 games, but I think the Decision Science of Rest isn't gonna be having it.    We probably won't get Opening Day Cowser, but whenever he enters the mix all these Jim Traber scrubs vanish.     I suppose with existing personnel one of Stowers or Santander would need to do the backup 1B stuff.

I understand that it doesn’t include strikeouts.  The decision piece comes with the theory that your gonna hit balls harder that are in your specific sweet spot vs.  balls that are not there, so making a decision whether or not to swing also directly  effects the outcome of the balls that are hit.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I just keep telling myself how much I hated the Lyles signing last year.  Not defending the moves, merely trying to stay sane and make it to ST.  

It's easy.  Ignore most of the comments on the board and wait and see what actual happens.   The Orioles could win 100 games and people will be unhappy because they "could have been better!".

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

To me, this puts to rest the idea that Westburg was going to learn 1B and get 4 starts a week around the IF. 

At this point it's not worth arguing about the need for O'Hearn or Frazier, but more about what does this mean for the MiL guys that I thought were going to get a legitimate shot in '23? Besides, they could have kept Nevin on the roster as a backup 1B for the minimum over paying O'Hearn 1.4.

Wildcard is the only one who seems to have that idea. I don’t disagree with it, but I’ve seen no indication the team is considering any non traditional approaches to 1B.