Padres Finalizing Extension of Machado

justD

3 hours ago, MikeAD said:

Hard to say a 350 million dollar 11 year contract is a steal but this seems much better than a lot of long term deals these days.  Great for Manny, wish he were here.  

Yeah it extends until he is 41 I believe.   There could be 2 or 3 or more mediocre to bad years in there.  Guess the Padres have never heard of a player's decline phase.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He never should have left here.   Not locking him up was one of the worst things Angelos ever did. 

But it’s ok. We are where we are right now and I don’t think I’d trade that for anything.  The just better not botch this in the same way. 

What's that saying?  "Hold my beer"

Good for him. Happy is he in other league.

I’m past him leaving I guess you could say. If we were going to lose a player of his level the timing was perfect. Obviously had he been signed to a longer term deal a better trade return in theory occurs. 

I just hope we don’t make the same mistakes moving forward.  

Just now, Bird Is The Word said:

Padres are all in as they have been for a few years now. Don't care in the grand scheme of things if they succeed mind, but do hope someone else wins instead of the Dodgers in the NL West, that would be nice.

I don't have a big rooting interest in any of the NL teams but sure, I'll give the Padres my good wishes for 2023.  Shame Tatis isn't easier to root for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah it extends until he is 41 I believe.   There could be 2 or 3 or more mediocre to bad years in there.  Guess the Padres have never heard of a player's decline phase.

The Padres will be extraordinarily lucky if there are only 2-3 mediocre to bad years. 

Odds of being more than mediocre in his mid 30s are low let alone his late 30s.

Edited by geschinger
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, geschinger said:

The Padres will be extraordinarily lucky if there are only 2-3 mediocre to bad years. 

Odds of being more than mediocre in his mid 30s are low let alone his late 30s.

Padres are adding a lot of long term contracts that could end badly.  They might have a bloated payroll and bad team in 5 or 6 years. 

4 hours ago, yark14 said:

Yesterday I paid $2.25 for a dozen eggs and a little over $3 for a loaf a bread.

Where are you finding eggs for $2.25?  My wife eats that Dave’s bread and $4.99 is a good price for a loaf. I am about to give in and let her raise chickens but we are hung up on me eating them when they stop producing. I guess that would make for an interesting baseball contract,”you stop producing and I will eat you”.  

• Haha 1