Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser having really good AB’s.   I like Stowers but I think Cowser is better right now.   They won’t do it but we’re probably a better team with Cowser on the team in RF with Santander playing DH/LF/RF/1B.

.269/.500/.615 this spring.   His K rate is down to 23.7%.  He really hasn’t struck out much since the first 3-4 games.  

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser having really good AB’s.   I like Stowers but I think Cowser is better right now.   They won’t do it but we’re probably a better team with Cowser on the team in RF with Santander playing DH/LF/RF/1B.

If you change that from Cowser to Stowers to start the season I think the statement or conclusion is still true. I really want Stowers to get a legit shot before the next wave of OFs arrives. Cowser and Kjerstad are not far off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is that the cutoff date to get the 7th year of control?

The cutoff date for the extra year of control is near the end of April. The cut off date for “Super Two” extra year of arbitration is sometime in the middle of the year, around June/July (it depends on the players in any given year, so it can move).  They are likely to want to wait for Super Two if they can, but Cowser could certainly force the issue. He hasn’t had that many AAA at bats yet so that will (hopefully) motivate them more than the Super Two status. 

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

June would be 200 AB with good stats at that level.   That has been Elias criteria for promotions.

He already has 124 PA and 105 AB at AAA.  He should have 200 AAA PA by the end of April.   

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The cutoff date for the extra year of control is near the end of April. 

It’s actually earlier than that.  You need 172 days of service to get credit for a full year.  This season ends October 1.  A player brought up on April 14 will earn only 171 days of service.   Of course, if the player finishes in the top 2 for rookie of the year, he gets credit for a full year regardless of when he was called up.  

Also, the Super 2 cutoff is earlier than you said.   It’s generally between late May and mid-June.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Golden Sombrero today

He got beat by a good pitch sequence his first time up.  Second time up he got fooled by three changeups in a row.    A three were down but he chased the last one clearly out of the zone.

Got caught looking at a hanging changeup the third time.  A very hittable pitch except he was completely fooled by it.

Last time up was against Kimbrel.  I think he fouled a curveball for the 2nd strike.  He must have been looking for another because he froze on a fastball waist high that caught a lot of the plate.  Not a good day.  Apparently has trouble recognizing changeups.  Kjerstad swung and missed at a knee high changeup but you could see that he recognized the next one and took it for a ball below the knees.  Not a good day.

Edited by RZNJ

• 2 weeks later...