Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there is little doubt he starts the year in Bowie. This year should tell us a lot about him. He clearly has his strength back, he's out of the Sally League (still seems weird to say that about Aberdeen) hitter hell, and AA is usually the place where you can really get an idea of what kind of major league hitter a prospect will become. 

He's had a great spring, but more importantly, we hope to see a great April and May and beyond. Pretty impressive so far for sure though.

He also had a great AFL although his cumulative SO numbers give you pause. However, after the first 2 weeks his SOs were 35%, by end of month they were down to 31% overall. The last 2 weeks he was in the low 20's% SOs. He adjusted. he is also a much bigger, stronger guy than he was when drafted, just look at his legs. I don't expect full on Gunnar, but more a Norby-like bat explosion would get him to AAA mid-year to backfill Cowser.

33 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

He also had a great AFL although his cumulative SO numbers give you pause. However, after the first 2 weeks his SOs were 35%, by end of month they were down to 31% overall. The last 2 weeks he was in the low 20's% SOs. He adjusted. he is also a much bigger, stronger guy than he was when drafted, just look at his legs. I don't expect full on Gunnar, but more a Norby-like bat explosion would get him to AAA mid-year to backfill Cowser.

Considering the strikeouts and the light-tower power, if he turns into a better-fielding Kyle Schwarber for the O's I'll be thrilled. 

What does Kjerstad have to do to be promoted in 200 PAs in Bowie?

Gunnar had 208 PAs.  Norby had 296 PAs.  Cowser 224 PAs.  Westburg 209.  Ortiz had 485 PAs. 

Obviously, all of them are different players with different skill sets to focus on.   So, what metrics are you/should they focus on?

Dingers?  BB%?  K%?  ISO?  HH%?  OPS+?  Defensive metrics?

I'd like to see some ISO juice (.230+), 8+ BB%, sub30 K%.  Something along the lines of what Westburg did in AA last year with more power.  If he does that, then I think he'll be promoted around 200 PAs.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

That wasn't just a bp fastball. It was slightly above the belt and cutting in on him. Nice to turn on that, even if it wasn't 100 mph.

I give Kjerstad credit for the pure power, but when I watch that pitch in slow-mo/freeze frame, I see a pitch that was started out slightly outside-plate and barely cut middle-middle, right at his belt buckle. Not to take away from the power, but that wasn't a particularly competitive pitch in my opinion. 

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Half the home runs in baseball are on mistake pitches, center cut fastballs, high changeups, and hanging breaking pitches.   Some hitters take advantage of those mistakes more than others.

Agreed. but I'd guess more like 80% are on mistake pitches. Though at the MLB level, a mistake pitch is defined much differently than at lower levels because the big league hitters are so good.

• Upvote 1