Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Oh yes, the proper place to discuss Frazier.

As I said all along, I will continue to root for Frazier while he wears an Orioles uniform. While I still don't think he's a good player or a good signing, I do think he's been able to find a way to make some impactful hits here and there. His power has been a surprise for everyone but so has been his lack of speed. Holy crap he's slow.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Still better than Gunnar Henderson's, Ryan Mountcastle's and Ramon Urias' OAA.  Not really familiar with this stat though something tells me it's probably useful over longer periods of time.

I think it's obvious why the O's signed Frazier.  They felt the young hitters could need time to transition to big league pitching.  It's proved more than true with all the young hitters except Adley.  Frazier came cheap for only one year and provides the steady veteran presence in the middle of the infield in the meantime and some decent pop off his bat.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Still better than Gunnar Henderson's, Ryan Mountcastle's and Ramon Urias' OAA.  Not really familiar with this stat though something tells me it's probably useful over longer periods of time.

I think it's obvious why the O's signed Frazier.  They felt the young hitters could need time to transition to big league pitching.  It's proved more than true with all the young hitters except Adley.  Frazier came cheap for only one year and provides the steady veteran presence in the middle of the infield in the meantime and some decent pop off his bat.

Concur. I think he’s doing exactly what they hoped he would do. Plenty to quibble about regarding the contract $ but they clearly weren’t using it toward someone else. People like to mock “veteranosity” but he’s playing above replacement and appears to take a professional approach. There’s something to be said for a little leadership in addition to pure talent.

It’s why I’d spend whatever it takes to keep Adley. He’s both really good and already shows a ton of leadership ability.

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Concur. I think he’s doing exactly what they hoped he would do. Plenty to quibble about regarding the contract $ but they clearly weren’t using it toward someone else. People like to mock “veteranosity” but he’s playing above replacement and appears to take a professional approach. There’s something to be said for a little leadership in addition to pure talent.

It’s why I’d spend whatever it takes to keep Adley. He’s both really good and already shows a ton of leadership ability.

They expected better defense I would guess.

Offensively for sure. His best trait is the contact rate. Put the ball in play and good things can happen.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They expected better defense I would guess.

Offensively for sure. His best trait is the contact rate. Put the ball in play and good things can happen.

The other defensive metrics like him a little better.  UZR +1.0, Rtot 0, Rdrs -1.   Better in the OF than at 2B, surprisingly. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why?  Why does it matter what side of the plate he hits from?

And btw, none of that is worth an 8M insurance policy.

1) There is zero evidence to suggest that if Frazier hadn’t signed the orioles would have allocated the money to a 30m starting pitcher 

2) at this point the 8m has been spent, so the only question left is whether or not he’s currently belong the club, and is a better available option. 

3) large amounts of data on platoon advantages would disagree with your comment that handedness doesn’t matter 

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

1) There is zero evidence to suggest that if Frazier hadn’t signed the orioles would have allocated the money to a 30m starting pitcher 

2) at this point the 8m has been spent, so the only question left is whether or not he’s currently belong the club, and is a better available option. 

3) large amounts of data on platoon advantages would disagree with your comment that handedness doesn’t matter 

Talent matters. Being a good player matters. What side of the plate you hit from doesn’t.

Now, if you have a player, let’s say Westburg, that struggles vs righties and you want a lefty to spell him, that’s fine.

But I don’t believe any such criticism exists for him.

He’s not as bad as I thought he’d be. He’s an upgrade from Odor the whiff machine. 

I don’t think he’s a great defender but he’s had some key hits so far this season. In a late and close situation I think he’s practically the only guy on the team who’s gonna shorten his swing and try to punch it somewhere. He’s not swinging from his heels. 

There are some things to like about his game, although I still disagree with the signing. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s not as bad as I thought he’d be. He’s an upgrade from Odor the whiff machine. 

I don’t think he’s a great defender but he’s had some key hits so far this season. In a late and close situation I think he’s practically the only guy on the team who’s gonna shorten his swing and try to punch it somewhere. He’s not swinging from his heels. 

There are some things to like about his game, although I still disagree with the signing. 

We dont win this game with Ortiz starting at 2B.