Joey Ortiz 2023

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm glad to see him bouncing back after his concussion.  Ortiz coming on as been a game changer for our prospect depth.  

Ortiz was always part of infield depth coming into this season. The fact that he's continued hitting and hitting the ball hard consistently shows he was probably ready for the big leagues coming into this year.  

• Upvote 1

I had assumed Ortiz would get the call before Westburg solely because he's on the 40-man roster, but he's actually out-performing Westburg by a pretty good margin so far. 

.913 OPS vs. .777 

SSS, but if Ortiz comes up, yeah the 40-man plays a part, but he will have earned the first look anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deward said:

The 11-1 K/BB ratio is a concern for me

Sports Guy was obviously being a bit humorous earlier but still....when you're getting multiple hits more often than not it's tough to draw a lot walks as well.

I don't think he's a .400 hitter, there's some SSS good luck sprinkled in there I'm sure, but still. you only get so many PAs.

Problem is it's hard to justify playing him over Mateo (assuming he will be back from injury very soon) or Gunnar.  So what do you do?    I don't think they want to stick him at 2nd especially with Westburg also close.   I think it's a tough call.

Mountcastle doesn't pick that...

Ortiz playing in Triple A at this point seems like a waste. The Orioles aren't going to move Frazier, and Gunnar should be playing, Matteo has been elite 

It's a waste defensively, but I wonder if Ortiz can play OF? take Vavra/McKenna's spot and get ABs by rotating positions. 

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Mountcastle doesn't pick that...

Ortiz playing in Triple A at this point seems like a waste. The Orioles aren't going to move Frazier, and Gunnar should be playing, Matteo has been elite 

It's a waste defensively, but I wonder if Ortiz can play OF? take Vavra/McKenna's spot and get ABs by rotating positions. 

As many people have pointed out and lamented repeatedly, this is where the Frazier signing proves to be detrimental to the overall productivity of the major league team. Frazier is blocking both Ortiz and Westburg. A lot of MLB teams would love to have those two players on their major league roster right now.

It was just a nonsensical signing for the amount of money Frazier costs.