Joey Ortiz 2023

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I hope they pay Adley and Gunnar, but some of you are delusional if you think they are going to pay everyone currently on the roster. Ortiz, Cowser and Kjerstad are going to be rookies and be much cheaper. They may trade a couple prospect, but I think Ortiz will be playing second base for the Orioles in 2024 and beyond.

I think Ortiz may be able to play with the Orioles now, but I can't see them doing that before July at the earliest, especially with the team winning.

Frazier and Santander are probably short timers.   I don't see them giving Santander a long term contract.  So  he probably get traded at the deadline or this off season.

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's exactly what is going to happen Elias will trade for a TOR starting pitching at some point with all these prospects rising through the system.

*This assume ownership has the appetite to take on payroll commanded by a top flight pitcher.

That's what we hope will happen. I'm not yet convinced that Elias will be aggressive enough to get that done.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

That's what we hope will happen. I'm not yet convinced that Elias will be aggressive enough to get that done.

I don't know that the O's need another starter.  The 5 in the rotation are doing well.  We will know more in May when the competition gets tougher.    Means in July and Hall is slowly improving in AAA.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

While the O's starters are improving, going later in games, the offense is not.    Looking at how tough May's schedule is the O's need to find a way to help the offense.

The best way I see is to call up Ortiz in about a week.  And he has to play a lot to give him a chance to hit in the majors.   Ortiz in not going to replace Mateo at short barring an injury.   He is not going to play 3B with Gunnar and Urias there.      2B is his best shot at get a lot of playing time.   

Frazier can play RF.  He is more mobile than Santander who can DH.   Vavra has been playing the outfield but I can see Vavra being optioned to promote Ortiz.

For me it mostly about trying to find a way to boost the offense going into May when they play the big boys.

I could imagine Ortiz getting called up, but he’s not going to jump into the starting 2B role with Frazier playing reasonably well.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I could imagine Ortiz getting called up, but he’s not going to jump into the starting 2B role with Frazier playing reasonably well.  

Frazier isn't playing that well.  He has clutch moments, but overall isn't playing that great.  I'd still take Ortiz or Westburg over him in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not even if Frazier is playing RF?

It seems like you really like Ortiz and want him up. I can’t blame you!

But why would we want Frazier in RF when we can just call up Cowser to play LF and move Hays over to RF?

We could potentially have an elite outfield defense that way instead of playing someone like Frazier in the outfield who will only be mediocre out there at best.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, yark14 said:

Frazier isn't playing that well.  He has clutch moments, but overall isn't playing that great.  I'd still take Ortiz or Westburg over him in a heartbeat.

I agree. IMO - We should pick the one that we want to man second. And then use the other along with Urias and some more prospects as part of a trade package to get the big pitcher who will help us down the stretch and into the postseason.

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It seems like you really like Ortiz and want him up. I can’t blame you!

But why would we want Frazier in RF when we can just call up Cowser to play LF and move Hays over to RF?

We could potentially have an elite outfield defense that way instead of playing someone like Frazier in the outfield who will only be mediocre out there at best.

Ortiz will pass the 200 PA  mark at AAA in about a week with great numbers.

Cowser needs another month of playing well to reach that mark.   He did have some PA last year at AAA but did not play at the level needed to get promoted.  He had a great game yesterday but he has to do that for a while before he gets a promotion IMO.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cowser needs another month of playing well to reach that mark.   He did have some PA last year at AAA but did not play at the level needed to get promoted.  He had a great game yesterday but he has to do that for a while before he gets a promotion IMO.

I think they will both get significant additional time in AAA.  

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I see thing’s slightly different because Cowser is the more talented/higher ceiling player and athlete. 

But I believe that both are ready for the Majors and would be upgrades for the Orioles AND offer long term solutions.

But in the meantime, we need to exercise a little patience while we wait.

10 hours ago, yark14 said:

Frazier was having good AB’s and having some bad luck.  Lately he hasn’t been making hard contact at all so it could get interesting if it continues.