Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you think that he will be sent down after the weekend or just ride the bench?

Technically Hays isn’t on the IL so who do you see coming up if you think Ortiz is immediately sent back down?

Probably will largely depend on results.  If he gets hot, maybe he will be up for a bit longer but to stay he is going to have to really kill it.  Unfortunately, with the deep right porch at Camden Yards, I don't think this is likely.

Regardless of whether Ortiz *should* get a shot at the everyday 2B role, it seems unlikely that the org would put him ahead of Frazier against RHP. And if Frazier were being demoted from an everyday role, Urias would arguably be the better option anyway. My guess is that the move is temporary, unless the org is fine with him playing part time which I doubt.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think he and Frazier will run a pretty strict platoon tbh.  I don't forsee Frazier in the outfield much, and if he's needed out there, then they need to get a true outfielder on the roster.

I wasn't opposed to Mateo getting some spring training run in the OF, but with the way he is playing, it would be crazy imo to mess with it now.

It may begin as a platoon but if Ortiz hits and Frazier doesn't that will not last long.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought this was serious until I saw the name Ohtani…lol

Its serious, just so long as the Ohtani to market contingency is met.    It easily could not be.

Then Mike Elias and Adley Rutschman need to prove their team is an okay spot to spend a few months.

If BAL isn't on a no trade list, tell me what other Clubs or GM's have more means and motive to swing the acquisition.

It seems to me Ohtani is a human who loves the game enough to have left huge money on the table to get to play in the world's best league sooner rather than later, and he's about to turn 29.

Of course he'll spend every October of his 30's in the tournament with LAD or equivalent.    I'm only talking about the Peak Ohtani gracing the game this season on a cost certain 1-year deal.

I guess Arte might want to see him with the Dodgers sooner rather than later...really no telling.

Mostly just funning as its more likely he will drag LAA within range of AL6 and its moot.

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Where is the space for Ortiz once Hays is back?  There is an open spot because Frazier will be moved to the outfield.   

I think you are answering your own question here. Even w/ a healthy Hays, there is a spot for Frazier in the OF and in the bottom of the order vs LHP.

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It likely was serious. There are a couple around here who think getting Ohtani is realistic...

Oh no…. I hope not. Because the post sounded like video game logic…lol

The post suggested bringing all of our young guys up including Kjerstad and Holiday, replacing most of current lineup with them, (which sounds very experimental) and then trading for a guy who all logic says won’t be on the team next year anyway.

I don’t mean to disparage or discourage anyone’s creativity or ideas, but that lacked any realistic/real world logic. If our ownership is apprehensive about resigning a guy like Adley (5 years away from FA), is there ANY realistic possibility that the same ownership would turn around and hand a king’s ransom over to Ohtani and outbid the Mets and Dodgers? Like in what world does that make any logical sense?

10 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Regardless of whether Ortiz *should* get a shot at the everyday 2B role, it seems unlikely that the org would put him ahead of Frazier against RHP. And if Frazier were being demoted from an everyday role, Urias would arguably be the better option anyway. My guess is that the move is temporary, unless the org is fine with him playing part time which I doubt.

+1, seems like he may get a day to spell Gunnar in lefty mashing lineup (Urias 3B/Mateo SS/Ortiz 2B). If he starts I bet we will see Gunnar pinch hit vs RHP. I would be very surprised to see Frazier demoted in late April, although I would not oppose that at all. 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t mean to disparage or discourage anyone’s creativity or ideas, but that lacked any realistic/real world logic. If our ownership is apprehensive about resigning a guy like Adley (5 years away from FA), is there ANY realistic possibility that the same ownership would turn around and hand a king’s ransom over to Ohtani and outbid the Mets and Dodgers? Like in what world does that make any logical sense?

You are missing the delta in Ohtani's contract status for 2023 vs. 2024-circa 2036.

Do you feel strategically the Orioles should leverage their accumulated talent in a Trying to Win scenario this year?

My stab at tonight's lineup:

1. Hays RF

2. Rutschman DH

3. Mountcastle 1B

4. Santander LF

5. McCann C

6. Mateo SS

7. Urias 2B

8. Mullins CF

9. Ortiz 3B

I feel like McCann has to be in based on his homer against Wentz. 

Edited by Surhoffan17
Had Ortiz at 2B

4 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

My stab at tonight's lineup:

1. Hays RF

2. Rutschman DH

3. Mountcastle 1B

4. Santander LF

5. McCann C

6. Mateo SS

7. Urias 2b

8. Mullins CF

9. Ortiz 2B

I feel like McCann has to be in based on his homer against Wentz. 

Hmm two different second basemen. It's a bold strategy.

In all seriousness, I'm excited Ortiz is here.

I feel like Urias (who has been our hottest hitter over the past week and has a .802 OPS) and Mateo (who has been our hottest hitter this season and has a 1.049 OPS) both need to be in the lineup every day right now. I hope this means Frazier is moved to more of a bench role.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ortiz for Vavra is not temporary if Ortiz hits.

I know Vavra isn't hitting, but he's still more versatile than Ortiz.  I even question how well Ortiz will handle 2B if placed there, just because he doesn't play there very often.