Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

20 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Feel like when you signed Frazier you kinda made Vavra expendable.  Especially if he's not going to hit at all.  Frazier can "play" outfield and second like Vavra.  

I like this move.  Allows him to play second on games they want to DH Gunnar or give Gunnar a break against a tough lefty (Rodriguez).

Don't see Ortiz getting any starts at SS with Mateo there though. 

That really depends, I think. Henderson started at SS yesterday. Ortiz is a better SS. If Mateo doesn't start, it should be Ortiz that does. Perhaps they've seen enough of Henderson at SS to relegate him more to 3B. 

I like this move and it seems to be very logical in that Ortiz definitely earned the promotion and fits nicely at 2B. He’s also a much better/higher ceiling player than Varva.

Maybe the O’s brass liked his defense over Westburg and Norby, which I’m fine with.

We still have a few more roster moves to go in order to get us closer to a more optimized/most talented roster we can have.

Hopefully, next up is Cowser to play LF everyday and then trading the excess infielders in Urias, Westburg (assuming they like Ortiz more), and Norby + for a frontline pitcher.

I really like our chances going forward if Elias plays his cards right! This is a good step in that direction IMO. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

With Mateo off to such a hot start, it seems like Westburg would make more sense. He has the better bat. 

We've been anticipating 40 man roster issues for years and it's finally here. The number of players we can punt who we don't mind punting to make room for a Westburg or a Cowser is few. 

Just now, jamalshw said:

That really depends, I think. Henderson started at SS yesterday. Ortiz is a better SS. If Mateo doesn't start, it should be Ortiz that does. Perhaps they've seen enough of Henderson at SS to relegate him more to 3B. 

IMO Henderson has looked better at SS than he has at 3B. It seems more of his “natural” position. But of course nobody is unseating Mateo now, so that is irrelevant. And then it’s Holiday’s position in the long run anyway.

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

We've been anticipating 40 man roster issues for years and it's finally here. The number of players we can punt who we don't mind punting to make room for a Westburg or a Cowser is few. 

There are 3 very mediocre pitchers, who could be easily replaced on the 40 man. Names are Gillaspie, Krehbiel, and Zimmerman. 

Shoot for that matter, Vespi too!

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Absolutely. 

I don't think that's necessarily the case.  Ortiz being on the 40-man probably helped him I'm sure, but he may be the better prospect anyway.  I like both players but I think people may be selling Ortiz short and, IMO, possibly overrating Westburg a bit.

That said, Westburg is sizzling right now at AAA, so you certainly could have made the case for him as well.

• Upvote 1

The choice of Ortiz vs. Westburg is a tough one.  Obviously, the fact that Ortiz already is on the 40 man roster is a factor.  In terms of their merits as players, Ortiz is the better defender, z Westburg has more power.   Their numbers this year at Norfolk:

Ortiz .359/.389/.500

Westburg .323/.397/.585

Two very good options   The O’s do value defense highly, so I guess Ortiz’s advantage there and the fact that he’s on the 40 outweighed Westburg’s power edge   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think that's necessarily the case.  Ortiz being on the 40-man probably helped him I'm sure, but he may be the better prospect anyway.  I like both players but I think people may be selling Ortiz short and, IMO, possibly overrating Westburg a bit.

That said, Westburg is sizzling right now at AAA, so you certainly could have made the case for him as well.

As hot as Westburg is right now, I think you can make a strong argument that he would have been the call-up if it wouldn't require dropping someone from the 40-man. I think that was clearly the deciding factor here. As far as the better prospect, I think it depends on what you value. Westburg has better pop, Ortiz has a better glove. I think they're both going to be good big leaguers. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, deward said:

As hot as Westburg is right now, I think you can make a strong argument that he would have been the call-up if it wouldn't require dropping someone from the 40-man. I think that was clearly the deciding factor here. As far as the better prospect, I think it depends on what you value. Westburg has better pop, Ortiz has a better glove. I think they're both going to be good big leaguers. 

Sure.  I think the 40-man issue was a factor.  I don't think it was the only one.  If it wasn't a factor I think it still might have been Ortiz.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The choice of Ortiz vs. Westburg is a tough one.  Obviously, the fact that Ortiz already is on the 40 man roster is a factor.  In terms of their merits as players, Ortiz is the better defender, z Westburg has more power.   Their numbers this year at Norfolk:

Ortiz .359/.389/.500

Westburg .323/.397/.585

Two very good options   The O’s do value defense highly, so I guess Ortiz’s advantage there and the fact that he’s on the 40 outweighed Westburg’s power edge   

Just for another point of reference, if you compare their numbers including last season at Norfolk:

Ortiz .351/.396/.542 (42 games)

Westburg .281/.366/.520 (107 games)

Two very good options indeed.

• Upvote 1