Royals series

Going Underground

57 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Only 2/3? No reason we shouldn't sweep these games. 

We're on the road. Even bad teams are entitled to win a game at home once in a while. I'd love to sweep but I would be fine with 2/3. That would put us at 12-3 for the stretch of easy teams. Hard to complain about that.

• Upvote 2

A few other facts:

1.  The Royals have the second-worst offense in the AL, averaging 3.31 runs/game.  (On the other hand, the Tigers, who are worse at 3.26 runs/game, managed 4.5 per game this last series against us.)

2.  The Royals’ bullpen has a 5.26 ERA, 3rd worst in the AL.  (When this series is over, we will have seen the four worst bullpens in the league already this year, in Detroit, KC, Chicago and Oakland.)

3.  KC has only won one series this year, taking 2 of 3 from the Giants on April 7-9. They’ve been swept in 3 series and won once in the other 5 series.  
4.  The Royals’ best hitter has been Vinnie Pasquantino, a 2019 11th round pick out of Old Dominion University.  Despite being a late pick and never making anyone’s top 100 list, all the guy has done since being drafted is rake in both the majors and the minors.  So watch out for him!

Edited by Frobby

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

All three have struggled but they’re all veterans capable of pitching a good game.   They’re 0-12 on the season combined.  Ouch.  

We have our choice of Kremer or Grayson on Thursday, with the other facing the Braves on Friday.  Interesting decision.  

I'd rather roll with Grayson on Th and have a game where we're like -200 favorites.  However, I think they give GR the extra days rest and start Kremer on TH.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A few other facts:

1.  The Royals have the second-worst offense in the AL, averaging 3.31 runs/game.  (On the other hand, the Tigers, who are worse at 3.26 runs/game, managed 4.5 per game this last series against us.)

2.  The Royals’ bullpen has a 5.26 ERA, 3rd worst in the AL.  (When this series is over, we will have seen the four worst bullpens in the league already this year, in Detroit, KC, Chicago and Oakland.)

3.  KC has only won one series this year, taking 2 of 3 from the Giants on April 7-9. They’ve been swept in 3 series and won once in the other 5 series.  
4.  The Royals’ best hitter has been Vinnie Pasquantino, a 2019 11th round pick out of Old Dominion University.  Despite being a late pick and never making anyone’s top 100 list, all the guy has done since being drafted is rake in both the majors and the minors.  So watch out for him!

I like hearing about the bad bullpen. I feel like that's one of our strengths is winning the bullpen portion of the game. The SP portion of the game feels like kind of a crapshoot at all times to me. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like hearing about the bad bullpen. I feel like that's one of our strengths is winning the bullpen portion of the game. The SP portion of the game feels like kind of a crapshoot at all times to me. 

You’d think that if the game is close after 5 innings, our chances are good because we have both the better offense and the better bullpen.  But, it’s baseball, so you never really know.  

The Royals 1-12 home record makes me anxious.     They are fresh home from a long road trip.

Yarbrough is an interesting opening test.     He's had good games against tanking BAL offenses - things should be different now.

Greinke and Verlander might be the last 3000 IP careers ever.

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The Royals 1-12 home record makes me anxious.     They are fresh home from a long road trip.

Yarbrough is an interesting opening test.     He's had good games against tanking BAL offenses - things should be different now.

Greinke and Verlander might be the last 3000 IP careers ever.

I feel like Yarbrough owns us.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Bad bullpen is cumulative though.    Aroldis looks in strong form, with drama to come for any trade acquirer.

Matt Quatraro also ODU according to B-Ref - isn't that school the Monarchs?     The Royals seem appropriate.

Today Heyman on Brian Kenny's show said most of Kim Ng's front office wanted Quatraro, and the Skip Schumaker hire was a maverick move for her.

Negro League museum and Arthur Bryant's puts Kansas City on the Mount Rushmore of stuff to do before a game in cities I've seen the Orioles as a visitor.

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Wow Lyles has been really bad. I hadn’t looked his numbers up. At least in the early going, going Gibson instead of Lyles is looking smart. 

I was looking at his #s yesterday when prepping for the Elias Pitching acquisitions thread.  He has been absolutely awful this year.  Historically I’d say that’s reason for him to come out and crush us but I feel different this year.  I think we lay it on him (if we face him - haven't checked matchups)

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Bad bullpen is cumulative though.    Aroldis looks in strong form, with drama to come for any trade acquirer.

Matt Quatraro also ODU according to B-Ref - isn't that school the Monarchs?     The Royals seem appropriate.

Today Heyman on Brian Kenny's show said most of Kim Ng's front office wanted Quatraro, and the Skip Schumaker hire was a maverick move for her.

Negro League museum and Arthur Bryant's puts Kansas City on the Mount Rushmore of stuff to do before a game in cities I've seen the Orioles as a visitor.

Yes, Monarch’s. Old school  CAA represent! Historically a great baseball school pulling from Norfolk area and all throughout VA.  Verlanders alma mater along with some other notables.  Bruce Sutter, Daniel Hudson & Yarbrough went there as well. They’ve had a handful of first rounders.  I’m still pissed the CAA broke up.  Was consistently a top 3 conference behind ACC & SEC in 90s.  Richmond, VCU, Old Dominion, East Carolina, JMU were consistently in top 25 and UNC Wilmington, William & Mary, and George Mason were no slouches.

Edited by emmett16

I tend to look at the schedule in 5 game chunks in hopes that we win 3 out of every 5 games.  This gets you to 97 wins (.600 baseball). I never expect to sweep a series because even bad teams can pull one out.  If we win 2/3 in KC, we’ll be 21-10 headed into a tougher part of the schedule. I would be good with that.