What would it take to get Max Fried

seak05

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The only reason they would entertain it is because he is a FA after next year and he’s been the one guy they haven’t been able to extend.

He will also be worth more in July than he will be in November and Atlanta has never been shy about trading guys at top value.

But it’s highly unlikely they would trade him during the season since he’s arguably their best starter and they are WS contenders.

I guess that makes getting him before he shuts us out tonight pretty unlikely lol 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

While agree that the best team doesn't always win, you have to have the requisite talent once you get there. Even if that means guys who are hot or playing over their heads. Unfortunately, we simply don't have the talent to outperform our competitors in the AL. What is a realistic path given the dearth of talent with our starting staff as presently constructed that we don't tax our bullpen by October? And then if we make into the postseason, do you honestly believe that there are good odds that we win 3 ROUNDS in the American League with this staff?

Hard to say. If you enter October with Rodriguez, Means and Tyler Wells pitching well in the rotation, a plausible scenario, and the bullpen rock solid, which it could well be, and assume Henderson has hit his stride and maybe an Ortiz or Westburg providing some additional pop at 2B from where they are now, then that could be a team that could be very interesting.

Would you have thought the 21 Braves had any shot with Soler and Rosario holding down key outfield spots?

• Upvote 1

This thread reminds me of when Rex Barney had a call-in show on WBAL radio and fans would call in with trade proposals like Brady Anderson and Jeffrey Hammonds for Barry Bonds.

Braves are all in for the World Series there's no way they trade Fried or even entertain any trade offers for him until next off-season.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Only possible way they deal him is if somehow next year they are shockingly out of the race. They will give him a QO and say thanks. I don’t expect him to stay there. 

Maybe John Angelos will write him a check in November of 2024. Then again maybe not. 

Exactly. This notion that the Braves will trade top talent if they can't extend them certainly is not born out by the Freddie Freeman and Dansby Swanson history. Sure, they have a good track record with extensions on club friendly terms with several young players, but when the player does not choose to go down that path, they tend to keep them as long as the player helps their chances to take home a title even if they end up with just a compensation draft pick after a qualifying offer. They have the same mentality in promoting minor leaguers early if they think it will help the big league team, regardless of team control, free agency and arbitration implications. As long as they are contenders, they are going to play to win now and worry about next year later.

For the Braves to trade Fried to the Orioles, it would have to be a deal that they believe makes their team better now - not some time down the road and that would take a very expensive package that likely would not make sense for the Orioles to get Fried for a year and half.

To all the doubters, trading an Ace mid season has happened more than you think and sometimes it actually does work out for both teams.

I give you 2 different articles from different years...

https://www.coveringthecorner.com/2018/12/28/18158962/a-brief-history-of-trading-away-aces-and-trying-to-compete

https://www.mlb.com/news/in-season-trades-for-aces-show-mixed-results-c192509156

It's all about the money. If the Braves aren't going to extend Max and guve him what he wants, it makes sense for the Braves to get a good return while his value is high. A trade can happen if each team comes up with the right compensation to each other and the recieving team is more willing to negotiate a better extension for the ace pitcher, then a deal can happen and will happen.

In the Braves case, they probably would like to replenish their farm system after so many stars had graduated to the major leagues in recent years, as well as get some major league talent back in return to keep their run going. Especially at shortstop. 

The Braves called up their young pitcher to pitch in last nights game and get a good look at him, and by doing so that pushed Max Fried's start to our game tonight. I have to wonder if this was to see how good that young pitcher can be for them (their depth) and also so our scouts can get a up close look at Fried tonight. If the Braves feel confident in their pitching depth, Spencer Strider can be the bonafide Ace of their pitching staff like they had been planning ahead for.

Never say never, if 2 parties are negotiating in good faith and willing to set parameters in their resolve to reach an agreement.

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Agreed. But why target an unrealistic player like Fried. I think it may be better to look toward the non-contenders. No?

Yes, that may be more likely to happen. We just need a couple of really good young starters. I don't think we get that with Mateo or Westburg.

1 hour ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Hard to say. If you enter October with Rodriguez, Means and Tyler Wells pitching well in the rotation, a plausible scenario, and the bullpen rock solid, which it could well be, and assume Henderson has hit his stride and maybe an Ortiz or Westburg providing some additional pop at 2B from where they are now, then that could be a team that could be very interesting.

Would you have thought the 21 Braves had any shot with Soler and Rosario holding down key outfield spots?

I applaud your optimism. But pitching will be the major deciding factor in October not who plays 2B, 3B, or outfield. We have an offense good enough, but our starting pitching talent is VERY subpar.

No I don’t have any confidence that Grayson, Means, and Wells will be nearly enough to succeed in the AL for 3 rounds. I’m not even really sure what the incentive is to find out when we don’t have to. We have more trade ammo than anyone in the game. 

Wow, I had thought Fried was on walk year as $13.5mm as a loser seemed like as high as it would go.

Anyhow, while you can play all kinds of fun little games around the edges of the roster and leveraging pitch data attributes to maximize your chance of success with any fungible Arm, the identities of the world's 50-60 best length pitchers any given summer are fairly well known and championship aspirants probably are keeping them.

The 12 berths make it easy for anyone half good to have some odds through July.   It is certainly possible no one better than Means or Bradish for game 2 moves.

48 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Yes, that may be more likely to happen. We just need a couple of really good young starters. I don't think we get that with Mateo or Westburg.

Well I don't want to trade Mateo as he is one of our best players this season. That IMO would be VERY foolish and counterproductive to winning.

Also, why would we have to limit our trade assets to simply Mateo and Westburg? We have NINE top 100 prospects (not including Gunnar). And when Grayson graduates soon, Basallo will be added to that last. The next two closet orgs in baseball (Dodgers and Guardians) have 7 each. Every other org is under that mark. 

Soto if I recall, costs the Padres 3 top 100 prospects plus to other players. I don't see a Soto level player to be had on the market unless the Angels make Ohtani available (who I don't actually want). He will be an FA soon and you know that the Mets and Dodgers will be all over that. 

But if we had to give up say 2/3 top 100 prospects in a package to get a difference making pitcher like Cease, who is cost controlled and can help us in 3 post season runs, sign me up for that!

I applaud your optimism. But pitching will be the major deciding factor in October not who plays 2B, 3B, or outfield. We have an offense good enough, but our starting pitching talent is VERY subpar.

No I don’t have any confidence that Grayson, Means, and Wells will be nearly enough to succeed in the AL for 3 rounds. I’m not even really sure what the incentive is to find out when we don’t have to. We have more trade ammo than anyone in the game. 

I would say that starting pitching depth is less critical in the postseason than the regular season with the top 3 getting most of the action. Judging where Rodriguez might be in October based on his up and down first month is difficult to do, and between Wells, Kremer and Bradish, there is a decent chance at least one of them could be on a roll. Who knows about Means. Starting pitching in the playoffs reminds me of goalie play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs - where a couple of good starts by a pitcher on a roll goes a long way. The best pitcher will prevail over a long season, the hot pitcher on a roll often prevails in the postseason. The Braves have done that with rookies with less than a month of ML time giving them key wins in recent years.

And yes - if your offense is raking that can carry you a long way, especially if your bullpen is solid. If Givens and Tate are solid, and potentially Hall is available as a lefty in the postseason to go with Bautista, Cano, Coulombe, Baker etc - the Orioles could have as good a bullpen as anyone.

1 minute ago, HelenaEngineer said:

I would say that starting pitching depth is less critical in the postseason than the regular season with the top 3 getting most of the action. Judging where Rodriguez might be in October based on his up and down first month is difficult to do, and between Wells, Kremer and Bradish, there is a decent chance at least one of them could be on a roll. Who knows about Means. Starting pitching in the playoffs reminds me of goalie play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs - where a couple of good starts by a pitcher on a roll goes a long way. The best pitcher will prevail over a long season, the hot pitcher on a roll often prevails in the postseason. The Braves have done that with rookies with less than a month of ML time giving them key wins in recent years.

And yes - if your offense is raking that can carry you a long way, especially if your bullpen is solid. If Givens and Tate are solid, and potentially Hall is available as a lefty in the postseason to go with Bautista, Cano, Coulombe, Baker etc - the Orioles could have as good a bullpen as anyone.

I love the optimism! Go O's!

But unfortunately I'm more of a realist/pragmatist. 

What are the realistic odds that Grayson, Means, and a combination of Wells/Kremer/Bradish carry us to postseason glory through 3 American League foes? - I would say pretty low. 

Question for you - Do you not want to trade from our abundance/excess? Do you not believe that out of our 9 top 100 prospects that we could fetch much better starting pitching talent? Or is it something else? 

Well I don't want to trade Mateo as he is one of our best players this season. That IMO would be VERY foolish and counterproductive to winning.

Also, why would we have to limit our trade assets to simply Mateo and Westburg? We have NINE top 100 prospects (not including Gunnar). And when Grayson graduates soon, Basallo will be added to that last. The next two closet orgs in baseball (Dodgers and Guardians) have 7 each. Every other org is under that mark. 

Soto if I recall, costs the Padres 3 top 100 prospects plus to other players. I don't see a Soto level player to be had on the market unless the Angels make Ohtani available (who I don't actually want). He will be an FA soon and you know that the Mets and Dodgers will be all over that. 

But if we had to give up say 2/3 top 100 prospects in a package to get a difference making pitcher like Cease, who is cost controlled and can help us in 3 post season runs, sign me up for that!

I've been a big fan of Mateo, every when it seemed everyone wanted to trade him. I would move him though if we can get a top of the rotation pitcher who will be around several years. I'd move anyone other than Adley or Rodriguez.

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I love the optimism! Go O's!

But unfortunately I'm more of a realist/pragmatist. 

What are the realistic odds that Grayson, Means, and a combination of Wells/Kremer/Bradish carry us to postseason glory through 3 American League foes? - I would say pretty low. 

Question for you - Do you not want to trade from our abundance/excess? Do you not believe that out of our 9 top 100 prospects that we could fetch much better starting pitching talent? Or is it something else? 

I never indicated an opposition to trading to improve the pitching. Living in Atlanta and following the Braves as my secondary team, I dispute the notion that they would be interesting in trading Fried unless they get a massive return. That’s just not how they operate.

I also dispute the idea that a team with enough pitching to make the playoffs is not a legitimate World Series contender. In addition, I have seen enough postseason failures with rotations that included a Palmer, McNally, Cueller combo or a Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz combo to be disabused of the notion that having the best rotation is a magic elixir in October.

it certainly wins divisions and is nice to have in the postseason, but a balanced offense and great bullpen often prevails in the postseason.