Urias at first tonight?

banks703

Spencer Strider is a beast, so I'm not surprised by the unorthodox lineup tonight. The key in tonight's game is keep it close and get to the Braves bullpen. Strider is averaging just under 6 innings per start so far this season. Orioles hitters need to work counts and ensure Strider is knocked out of the game by the sixth inning.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Which means that he’s probably closer to my 5’8 (and I’ll throw in that 1/2)

I don’t mind him playing first as I think he’s probably going to be solid just about anywhere that he’s played but with Tony and Stowers both on the roster currently and better defensive options in the outfield than both of them, I’m puzzled why neither of those guys have gotten any run at first so far. Is Ryan aching or something? Why DH him in favor of a guy who has never played 1B in the big leagues and all of what, seven games ever in the minors?

How many games have Santander and Stowers played there? I think Urias is getting the call because they believe he is the better option as he actually has infield experience.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It's a good thing we picked up that 3rd catcher. That way we can play someone at first that has never played there in the big before.

Exactly. Have nothing against Urias and would rather have him in the line up, but I thought the purpose of the 3rd catcher was so McCann would play first. Otherwise, what was the point of making that trade?

10 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Exactly. Have nothing against Urias and would rather have him in the line up, but I thought the purpose of the 3rd catcher was so McCann would play first. Otherwise, what was the point of making that trade?

I just can't see us keeping three catchers on the roster all year. The whole losing the DH at the end of the game due to a pinch hot is a joke. We switch out our bullpen guys every inning. Just pinch hit the next time the DH spot comes around, use the double shift. If we need an emergency catcher, we could just bring up Vavra. 

20 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

The point of the third C is to be able to pinch hit for McCann. Apparently the calculation is that more is gained from avoiding McCann vs RHP than a true backup 1B, at least for this particular stretch of games.

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just can't see us keeping three catchers on the roster all year. The whole losing the DH at the end of the game due to a pinch hot is a joke. We switch out our bullpen guys every inning. Just pinch hit the next time the DH spot comes around, use the double shift. If we need an emergency catcher, we could just bring up Vavra. 

Nobody said the third C will be all year. The pattern has been alternating between third C and backup 1B. Neither of which is strictly necessary but you can't have both, so you look ahead at a stretch of games and choose.