Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Westburg would have to be the 3rd piece.  Easily a dozen teams would be competing to trade for Ohtani.  Would make sense for Angels to ask for Holliday.

Nonsense ..

This was the Houston deadline deal that brought Verlander and he had 2 and 1/2 years left on his contract .. AND Houston got 8 mil per year ftom Detroit in cash 

A 3, 9 and 11 prospects….in MLB prospect rankings of our system that would be Colton Cowser, Coby Mayo, Dylan Beavers

I am not saying that a short term rental of Ohtani will go for these specifically but ain’t no way our top prospects or 1-2 of any system will be the return 

The Astros pulled off a blockbuster trade late Thursday, acquiring former American League Cy Young Award winner Justin Verlander from the Detroit Tigers.
The Astros sent right-hander Franklin Perez (No. 3 Astros prospect, per MLBPipeline.com), outfielder Daz Cameron (No. 9) and catcher Jake Rogers (No. 11) 

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Depends on where you get either. Most crabcakes out there taste terrible because most restaurants don’t know how to make them.

And there are some damn good sushi restaurants in the Baltimore area, especially up in Cockeysville.

Nothing screams high end sushi quite like (checks notes) Cockeysville.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

And where was this overheard?  When someone's arm "will play at second," that usually means it doesn't play at third or short.  Would love to know where this nugget of info came from....

It was a joke!

11 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I bet the Angels would rather trade Trout than Ohtani.

I definitely don’t want Trout’s contract along with the degenerative back condition.

But I don’t think we will ever have to worry about that as I am 100% certain that awful Angelos will never go for trading for that kind of contract and paying a player that type of money.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I definitely don’t want Trout’s contract along with the degenerative back condition.

But I don’t think we will ever have to worry about that as I am 100% certain that awful Angelos will never go for trading for that kind of contract and paying a player that type of money.

Not suggesting the O's should trade for Trout, especially when he doesn't pitch.  I'm just skeptical the Angels want to trade Ohtani, unless they're sure they can't re-sign him and they fall out of contention.  The Phillies should trade for Trout and put him in LF.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Not suggesting the O's should trade for Trout, especially when he doesn't pitch.  I'm just skeptical the Angels want to trade Ohtani, unless they're sure they can't re-sign him and they fall out of contention.  The Phillies should trade for Trout and put him in LF.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's got trade protection.

Sure, but I bet he'd approve a trade to the right team.  I'm not suggesting the O's try to trade for him.  I bet he'd approve a trade to the Phillies or Yankees, both of which could use help in the OF.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Look how many threads there were about the poor O's and they can't afford Davis' $161 million contract.  This site would melt down if Ohtani suddenly became mediocre in the middle of $600 million contract.  Probably doesn't make sense anyway to spend that big percentage of payroll on one player.  I'm just hoping the O's/Angelos can have a midrange payroll going forward.  By which I mean in the teens of 30 MLB teams.  I'm afraid Angelos will be too busy stuffing his pockets with O's money. 

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Nonsense ..

This was the Houston deadline deal that brought Verlander and he had 2 and 1/2 years left on his contract .. AND Houston got 8 mil per year ftom Detroit in cash 

A 3, 9 and 11 prospects….in MLB prospect rankings of our system that would be Colton Cowser, Coby Mayo, Dylan Beavers

I am not saying that a short term rental of Ohtani will go for these specifically but ain’t no way our top prospects or 1-2 of any system will be the return 

The Astros pulled off a blockbuster trade late Thursday, acquiring former American League Cy Young Award winner Justin Verlander from the Detroit Tigers.
The Astros sent right-hander Franklin Perez (No. 3 Astros prospect, per MLBPipeline.com), outfielder Daz Cameron (No. 9) and catcher Jake Rogers (No. 11) 

Verlander was viewed as being on a decline from his peak.  Houston was viewed as being brave for picking up all that salary.  Ohtani is seen as undoubtedly the best player in baseball.  No doubt some teams will think that trading for him will give them a leg up in signing him in free agency.  If someone like Cohen, the Mets owner really wants Ohtani on his team, I'm sure he won't trade a top Mets prospect for him.  When there is a lot of competition in the trade market is when teams hugely overpay.  Does it make sense for a team to give up a prospect like Holliday for a few months of Ohtani, of course not, but teams desperate to make a trade make unwise decisions, like San Diego when they traded 1/2 their farm for Soto. 

19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Sure, but I bet he'd approve a trade to the right team.  I'm not suggesting the O's try to trade for him.  I bet he'd approve a trade to the Phillies or Yankees, both of which could use help in the OF.

I agree and the Angels should trade Trout if the opportunity arises in return for decent value.