Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is hilarious. This board goes absolutely stone cold ****ing nuts when Hicks is signed because Mullins is on the 10 day IL and now that he’s been decent, people want to keep him. 

Well, Hicks hasn't been very good since 2020, is 33 years old, and even his statcast metrics show him to be a player in decline. Now I had no issue with him being signed since the alternative was probably Dax Cameron or putting a square peg in center field until Mullins or Cowser were ready. 

Now obviously he's played pretty well so far in his four game with the Orioles. Sometimes players get a new lease on life when they go to a new team, especially when they get to play everyday again. 

Now, the question is, can he continue to play well once he moves back to being a reserve outfielder? 

Maybe the Orioles have caught lightning in a bottle or maybe we're just seeing the effect of player getting a new lease on his career, or maybe he's just on a little heater. 

Either way, he's looked pretty competent out in CF though he does look a touch slow running. 

I think Vavra, who has played just 10 innings total in the infield will be the guy to go of the roster when Mullins returns or Cowser is promoted. If Hicks is playing well still when both are ready, then I think he will get the nod over McKenna, though McKenna has hit lefties pretty well this year and has been competent in the outfield at all three positions minus the Boston drop. 

• Upvote 2

For me, I like the idea of keeping him around over Vavra or perhaps McKenna. Hicks has been injured a lot, playing in only 307 games of a possible 600 or so since 2019. He did play in 130 games last year, however. He’s a switch-hitting veteran bat with playoff experience, and seems to fit in the clubhouse. We’ll see how his health holds up, but if he is used correctly it could be one of those additions we look back on favorably after the season. I don’t want it to get in the way of Cowser coming up, however. 

• Upvote 2

Hicks is making a good first impression both offensively and defensively.  A 1208 OPS tends to do that.  But he can't maintain that and no one should expect him to.   His career has been plagued with injuries which make it questionable if he can stay healthy for the O's for the rest to the season.    But he is playing well now so we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by wildcard

Hicks has been fine, but he is a bandaid and all signs point to this being his ceiling, not his floor. He is not meant to be a longterm solution, or even a midterm solution so I am fine with it. The fact he is contributing in this way is gravy. 

See: Carpenter, Matthew 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hicks is making a good first impression both offensively and defensively.  A 1208 OPS tends to do that.  But he can't maintain that and no one should expect him to.   His career has been plagued with injuries which make it questionable if he can stay healthy for the O's for the rest to the season.    But he is playing well now so we should enjoy it while it lasts.

He just missed a HR on Friday or that OPS would be higher. Hicks is 100% on this team over Vavra. He’s the 4th OF we’ve needed this year behind Mullins, Santa, and Hays. Switch hitter as well. I see him batting 5th in this lineup the rest of the way with Frazier dropping to 7th. Of course all of this is best case scenario, but maybe not so far fetched. 

This is all just a best guess, but I hope it works out this way because it makes us really good offensively and defensively. It also adds another SH to the team. 

vs RH SP

Mullins L CF

Adley S C

Santa S DH

Hays R LF

Hicks S RF

Gunnar L 3B

Mountcastle R 1B

Frazier L 2B

Mateo R SS

O’Hearn, McKenna, Urias, McCann

Hope we get to see this lineup eventually. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Solid Post Just think it would be Vavra that gets moved aside and not Mckenna.

Good point. I think I forgot Vavra is on the team because we haven’t seen him lately. I also think you’re correct that he would be the one to go.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, Hicks hasn't been very good since 2020, is 33 years old, and even his statcast metrics show him to be a player in decline. Now I had no issue with him being signed since the alternative was probably Dax Cameron or putting a square peg in center field until Mullins or Cowser were ready. 

Now obviously he's played pretty well so far in his four game with the Orioles. Sometimes players get a new lease on life when they go to a new team, especially when they get to play everyday again. 

Now, the question is, can he continue to play well once he moves back to being a reserve outfielder? 

Maybe the Orioles have caught lightning in a bottle or maybe we're just seeing the effect of player getting a new lease on his career, or maybe he's just on a little heater. 

Either way, he's looked pretty competent out in CF though he does look a touch slow running. 

I think Vavra, who has played just 10 innings total in the infield will be the guy to go of the roster when Mullins returns or Cowser is promoted. If Hicks is playing well still when both are ready, then I think he will get the nod over McKenna, though McKenna has hit lefties pretty well this year and has been competent in the outfield at all three positions minus the Boston drop. 

This is fair.  Maybe a change of scenery is helping.

I also didn't have an issue with him being signed for what the move was...a move to cover for Mullins while he's on the 10 day IL.  

I think the idea of ditching McKenna for him is a bit odd, though.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I also didn't have an issue with him being signed for what the move was...a move to cover for Mullins while he's on the 10 day IL.  

No need to ditch McKenna. McKenna is your 5th OF that is a defensive replacement with the occasional start versus LHP. 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think McKenna could be in trouble after Vavra if Hicks is still playing well. Basically when both Mullin and Cowser are ready, someone else has to go. it will be interesting to see who goes because McKenna has hit lefties well. Right now Vavra is dead weight.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He just missed a HR on Friday or that OPS would be higher. Hicks is 100% on this team over Vavra. He’s the 4th OF we’ve needed this year behind Mullins, Santa, and Hays. Switch hitter as well. I see him batting 5th in this lineup the rest of the way with Frazier dropping to 7th. Of course all of this is best case scenario, but maybe not so far fetched. 

This is all just a best guess, but I hope it works out this way because it makes us really good offensively and defensively. It also adds another SH to the team. 

vs RH SP

Mullins L CF

Adley S C

Santa S DH

Hays R LF

Hicks S RF

Gunnar L 3B

Mountcastle R 1B

Frazier L 2B

Mateo R SS

O’Hearn, McKenna, Urias, McCann

Hope we get to see this lineup eventually. 

Let's see how you feel in a month.   4 days isn't much time.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think McKenna could be in trouble after Vavra if Hicks is still playing well. Basically when both Mullin and Cowser are ready, someone else has to go. it will be interesting to see who goes because McKenna has hit lefties well. Right now Vavra is dead weight.

That's unfortunate, because I like Vavra as a backup infielder/utility guy.  But I recognize that his days might be numbered, too.

I don't think Eliast and Sigbot would ditch McKenna for someone who's 33.  But you never know.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I always find it hilarious when you ignore small sample sizes to fit your arguments but then prop up small sample sizes for players you're not interested in.

Glad to brighten your day.

Hicks has been bad for so long I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.   Hope he does well.

Edited by wildcard