Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That was my initial reaction too. He made it look harder than it had to be. But he did make the catch and he's been showing good range out there. I'm still taking a wait and see approach before I start complimenting him.

He had to twist like that because he actually overran the flyball a step. Prefer that to not getting there.

Hicks has been impressive so far. Even the bad results have been on good at-bats where he's working the count. He had a .330 OBP last year, even if the rest of his bat wasn't good. If he keeps this up, I would prefer him to McKenna as a 4th OF when Mullins is back.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Hicks has been impressive so far. Even the bad results have been on good at-bats where he's working the count. He had a .330 OBP last year, even if the rest of his bat wasn't good. If he keeps this up, I would prefer him to McKenna as a 4th OF when Mullins is back.

That's what 62 BB in 453 PA will get you! He also had a 0.4 dWAR and is more of a steal threat than McKenna. If the O's get into a dogfight in September or make it to the postseason, HIcks' experience with that as a Yankee should also be a plus. Incl. today's game, Hicks has 10 hits in his last 26 AB with 6 BB, 4 RBI, 8 R. .385 BA, .500 OBP.

Picking up Hicks reminds me of when the Yankees acquired Paul Blair from the O's in 1977. Similar age and stages of their careers with largely similar skills. Blair had a fine first season as a defensive replacement and sub (hit .262 in 164 AB) for the Ys, who beat the Dodgers in the World Series that year and next year, too, with Blair not hitting as well the second season, but still getting into 75 games because of his glove. Blair also played in 17 postseason games vs. the Royals and Dodgers (same opponents both years), going 6 for 23 with a Bb and 4 runs scored.

May Hicks and the Orioles fare as well!

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I was all set to call for releasing Hicks as soon as Cowser was healthy, but he's played well 🤷‍♀️

I have a solution. Bring Cowser up asap. Play him in LF regularly. Play Hays in RF regularly. Allow Santander to DH against LHP and replace Mountcastle regularly as 1B against RHP.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I have a solution. Bring Cowser up asap. Play him in LF regularly. Play Hays in RF regularly. Allow Santander to DH against LHP and replace Mountcastle regularly as 1B against RHP.

Why not bring up Cowser for McKenna and let him play CF? If they like Hicks more than McKenna this makes sense. Let Hicks take over the 4th OF/defensive replacement role that plays a little more often than McKenna does but your everyday OF is Hays/Cowser/Santander. Hicks can spell all three of them. O'Hearn should not be RF. I guess Vavra would be a candidate too since hes not playing at all, but he bring a little more versatility as he can play the IF and emergency catcher. 

Edited by terpoh

5 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Why not bring up Cowser for McKenna and let him play CF? If they like Hicks more than McKenna this makes sense. Let Hicks take over the 4th OF/defensive replacement role that plays a little more often than McKenna does but your everyday OF is Hays/Cowser/Santander. Hicks can spell all three of them. O'Hearn should not be RF. I guess Vavra would be a candidate too since hes not playing at all, but he bring a little more versatility as he can play the IF and emergency catcher. 

Right now. I would like to leave Hicks in the lineup against RHP. You can still have Hays, Cowser, and Santander in that lineup. 

I would prefer that Cowser play COF since that will most likely be his permanent spot when Mullins returns.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Mullins, Cowser, and Hicks are all LH. The orioles love having platoon options. I posted this in cowsers’s thread, but I think the most likely demotion right now for Cowser would be Vavra (and then yes he plays LF and santander moves to 1b/dh)