Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that Hicks plays a deep CF.   A few hits fall in front of him that Mullins would catch.  But overall he’s solid out there.  

Good observation. He takes good paths to the ball that allow him to close more quickly--like last night's final out, which McKenna or Stowers might have ended up diving for.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Good observation. He takes good paths to the ball that allow him to close more quickly--like last night's final out, which McKenna or Stowers might have ended up diving for.

I thought that was going to be a hit or a tough play off the bat and he got to if fairly easily.  Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, but so far he's been a pleasant surprise. 

• Upvote 1

Was it Hicks' drive to the wall that KC's Waters nabbed with a short leap yesterday? Mateo had an XBH robbed by Waters, but I can't remember who hit it to the wall--it was in right-centerfield. Maybe it was Urías's?

• 4 months later...

I saw an article the other day where Aaron Hicks said that being a 4th outfielder doesn’t work for him.  He thinks he needs to play everyday to be good.  Therefore, if he’s not content not being guaranteed a starting job I don’t think he’ll be back and I wouldn’t want him back.  He might be somewhat delusional because it’s hard to see any ML team hand him a starting job.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I saw an article the other day where Aaron Hicks said that being a 4th outfielder doesn’t work for him.  He thinks he needs to play everyday to be good.  Therefore, if he’s not content not being guaranteed a starting job I don’t think he’ll be back and I wouldn’t want him back.  He might be somewhat delusional because it’s hard to see any ML team hand him a starting job.

It sounds like he wants to take his game to Asia.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There's probably a team that is rebuilding that will pay him the minimum for an everyday job. He served a purpose in Baltimore when Mullins went down, but the shine was wasted when they kept plugging him in down the stretch. I really hope Elias moves on from him.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Funny. I think a smart, limited, use pattern would result in a better performance. But he knows himself, I'd guess.